Football Programmes Centre

The Football League Minutes & Proceedings 1904-05
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Football League Minutes & Proceedings 1904-05

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:01 pm 
Post subject: The Football League Minutes & Proceedings 1904-05

Fascinating documents including 1903-04 Accounts and some very tough talk about both United and City. United it was claimed when they moved from Newton Heath had put this entire matter of transferring one club to the new one in the hands of James West Manager/Secretary and Club Captain Harry Stafford who between them led the FA to comment that United were not set up as a "proper club" in 1902 and that as those 2 named persons were responsible to sort it out and they were up to all sorts of goings on both should be banned for 3 years, the new owner wrote to the FA saying h left it to them as he had other interests to deal with. Man chester City were embroiled with Glossop North End[who had 2 sets of books!/ 7 City Directors were banned and the club fined £250 read all about that too.

There are mentions for Newcastle United-Norwich City-Wolverhampton Wanderers and others-if anyone want details of those 3 i have just named let me know and i will send them on and also i will check and see if there are any other Clubs who had a particular mention.

https://flic.kr/p/2msbfMs

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting, the only minutes of the Football League that I have is a 4 pager from Oct 12th 1931 when they accepted Wigan Borough's resignation from the Football League.
It also has a list of players granted free transfers, and names the team selected to play the Scottish Football League in an upcoming fixture on the 7th Nov 1931.

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:45 am 
Post subject:

Raxfactor wrote:
Interesting, the only minutes of the Football League that I have is a 4 pager from Oct 12th 1931 when they accepted Wigan Borough's resignation from the Football League.
It also has a list of players granted free transfers, and names the team selected to play the Scottish Football League in an upcoming fixture on the 7th Nov 1931.

This is a lot more interesting than you may think as with Wigan Borough dropping out and a little reference to Manchester Central looking to get into the Football League this leads me to show and mention the original letter written by the Chairmen of Manchester Central in his application for League status on the 16th May 1931. Manchester Central must have known Wigan were in trouble for sure and staked their claim.

At that time Manchester City were the dominant force in Manchester football but United were struggling and in 1930-1 were relegated to the 2nd Division and the crowds were dwindling and there was no money in the club who were not for the first time facing a financial crisis-in then stepped James Gibson to save United from going under.

Getting back to Manchester Central their attempt to convince the Football League that they could prosper and flourish in Manchester came to no avail as both City and to a greater extent argued that this would take away crowds from them both and eventually the League agreed and said NO. Manchester Central then not long after wards folded up and the League were smug knowing they made the correct decision.

The link below shows some programmes whilst Central were functioning in the Lancashire Combination as well as the letter written to the League as part of their application.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjEGMPqE

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:04 pm 
Post subject:

That's an interesting story regarding Manchester Central, they obviously had ambitions and who knows how their history would have unfolded if they had been successful in their bid to join the League.
Makes me wonder what impact if any it would of had on City and Utd I suppose it may be like Salford City if they manage to progress further and one day reach the promised land of the Prem.

Have you seen the newspaper cuttings for sale on eBay regarding Newton Heath, one was against Wigan City, I never seen one before although I admit to never looking.

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:08 pm 
Post subject:

Raxfactor wrote:
That's an interesting story regarding Manchester Central, they obviously had ambitions and who knows how their history would have unfolded if they had been successful in their bid to join the League.
Makes me wonder what impact if any it would of had on City and Utd I suppose it may be like Salford City if they manage to progress further and one day reach the promised land of the Prem.

Have you seen the newspaper cuttings for sale on eBay regarding Newton Heath, one was against Wigan City, I never seen one before although I admit to never looking.

PM sent to you

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: