Football Programmes Centre

Jimmy Greaves RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jimmy Greaves RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:46 pm 
Post subject: Jimmy Greaves RIP

Very sad to hear of the death of a childhood favourite player of mine Jimmy Greaves. RIP.
BlueFinn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:52 pm 

Loved him, brilliant player and brilliant entertainer on Saint and Greavsie.
thfcbasil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:58 pm 
Post subject: Jimmy Greaves

I was very fortunate to see my boyhood hero score well over a hundred times for Spurs.His greatest goal was one of a hat trick against Leicester in about 1968.What a pity it was not televised but a picture appeared on the front cover of a number of Spurs programmes with him side footing the ball past a young Peter Shilton and a few Leicester defenders left grounded and looking on who the great man had dribbled past.
I know football has changed but gone out of the game, in my opinion, are those players who could simply leave defenders in their wake with mesmerising footwork. Messi apart I wonder in the modern game with great pitches and defenders unable to make the types of tackles they did what Greavsie and Best would have done.
Jimmy RIP and thanks for the memories.
East Lower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

Scored the only goal in the first live match I attended. RIP Jimmy, a true legend.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:06 pm 
Post subject: Jimmy Greaves

Best natural goalscorer{and more} ever. God bless Jim.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:33 am 
Post subject:

A truly fantastic player and goalscorer, passing so soon after one of the other greats of his ilk - Gerd Muller. But Jimmy had more than that, the ability to ghost past defenders as if they were statues and wrong-foot the keeper with a feint and a dip of the shoulder. Where Muller was a bully in the box, Jim was a cunning artist.

I also saw his last game for Spurs - when they lost in an FA Cup 4th round replay at Selhurst Park - 28th January 1970. I didn't realise it at the time but that was the end of an era. Jim went off to West Ham with another great, Martin Peters, moving in the opposite direction.

Later he had a new life as a brilliant talker about the game, a footballing raconteur, which lasted longer than his career on the pitch, usually with his mate Saint, who passed just 6 months ago.

He will never be forgotten. Thank God for TV.

RIP Jimmy - and Saint - and Gerd - and Martin.

Jim in 1972 - readying himself for his testimonial v Feyenoord.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:32 am 

We all knew that this was coming, but it was still such a shock when the news broke.

A true legend of the game and quite simply the best goalscorer ever.

RIP Jimmy and thank you.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:37 am 

If you go on the Heavyroller ( YouTube) there is grainy footage of the great man scoring four against Nottingham Forest. Spurs put nine past them that day.. l think it was 1962-63 season. I love the stories about Jimmy chatting with his great pal Bobby Moore when there was a break in play, during Spurs v West Ham matches. The topic was never ever about football. It was about where are we going for a beer after the game! Jimmy was a fantastic player and a very funny man.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 am 
Post subject:

Another legend departed. Fabulous footballer and raconteur. Did anyone watch " Football Focus" back in the day when he was on the other side with the Saint?

RIP Jimmy
bjm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am 
Post subject:

Farewell to an outstanding footballer - would recommend "GREAVSIE - The
autobiography" for a worthwhile read.
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:08 am 
Post subject:

Had immense respect for him after reading the harrowing This One's On Me, charting his descent into alcoholism.
Didn't spare any details, or himself, including a description of rifling through dustbins to get the last drops out of discarded vodka bottles.
A great player and a very brave and honest human being.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

In an era today where the term "legend" is thrown around like confetti, Jimmy was a man that truly epitomised the meaning of the word.

A wonderful presence both on & off the pitch, and in my opinion, the most prolific striker this little island of ours has ever produced. With the pitches & protection players enjoy today, Jimmy would have racked up numbers that'd left the likes of Messi & Ronaldo trailing in his wake.

God bless the great man.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: