Football Programmes Centre

1970 World Cup “ VIP” Programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1970 World Cup “ VIP” Programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:53 pm 
Post subject: 1970 World Cup “ VIP” Programmes

I’m sure it’s been posted previously but are there known fakes for this pirate issue and what are the differences between the fake and “real version” of these if there are any. The Final issue, I’ve attached an image below, can anyone help with real vs fake if it’s known. I bought this from a reputable dealer and it doesn’t sit right but I want to know for sure before it goes back.

I see there is one for sale on EBay UK just now.
Thanks
overlap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:39 am 
Post subject:

All I can say is that the guy on eBay USA from California (not the UK seler) seems to have had an inexhaustible supply of these items since they first mysteriously appeared a few years ago.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:24 am 
Post subject:

Cheers,
That’s good enough for me.

Thanks
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

If i remember correctly from the description on the UK Ebay item it was produced by the organising committee around the day of the game.

I totally trust the UK seller but with pirate programmes its just too hard to determine between genuine or otherwise.

I take it the red cover tournament brochure was to cover the final as well?
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 am 
Post subject:

I thought the 'Red Cover Tournament Programme' was the UK version to cover the entire tournament. There are other Mexican official versions, one yellow and one green covers to cover the entire tournament.
Never seen these VIP versions that just cover the Final though. Strange and suspicious that they should suddenly emerge after all these years
Posh1959

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:33 am 
Post subject:

I have seen these so called VIP issues for a few games in the 1970 tournament. As others have said they have only appeared on the market in the last couple of years which arouses suspicion as to their authenticity.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

There’s a guy from Mexico sells them on eBay too. I looked up his feedback and somebody who had bought some from him has called him out on them and got a refund on them too. My refund is in works. I think for me, I’m just steering clear of these issues going forward. Too much ambiguity on them and a lesson learned ( and shared) for me.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:01 pm 
Post subject:

Grumpypants wrote:
I thought the 'Red Cover Tournament Programme' was the UK version to cover the entire tournament. There are other Mexican official versions, one yellow and one green covers to cover the entire tournament.
Never seen these VIP versions that just cover the Final though. Strange and suspicious that they should suddenly emerge after all these years

They don’t just cover the final mate, I got a Czechoslovakia v England one also and there are other games out there too.
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:22 pm 
Post subject:

I have seen the Final, as mentioned in this post, and noticed that the seller wants a £250 starting price. What sort of prices are being asked for the other one's available in the tournament, i.e the Czechoslovakia v England??
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:38 am 
Post subject:

The Czech one was best offer ($100).

I’ve seen others for at least some of the games for each round.
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:15 am 
Post subject:

I used to collect WC progs

There's the red issue (UK)
and the Green (Spanish) and Yellow (English) issues from Mexico. Both suffer from spine wear but are THE 1970 world cup programmes and are authentic and now quite tricky to find in decent condition.

I saw these 'VIP' issues appear about 4-5 years ago but they look like they were made to look authentic and old (slight uneven cut, print slightly different etc) but most likely in my opinion created in someone's bedroom using older paper for the authentic look.

Personally, I'd avoid them, especially at the prices mentioned!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: