Football Programmes Centre

Where to start please….completely overwhelmed!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where to start please….completely overwhelmed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowlstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm 
Post subject: Where to start please….completely overwhelmed!

Hello all and hopefully thanks in advice.
Probably a typical question seen lots of times but here goes…..my Father in Law recently passed away and he was a football programme enthusiast focussing and collecting primarily Bolton Wanderers programmes.
He has literally left 1000’s of them and it is somewhat overwhelming particularly because some of them are ‘rare’….his words…

So do I use a site like yours to sell but I have no idea what things are worth or do I pay for a valuation, any suggestions would be most welcome.

By way of giving you an idea he has every FA cup final programme from 1920 and a single sheet programme from 1898 Corinthians v Bolton…..not to mention every cup game Bolton have played in incl Testimonials dating back to the 50’s……advice would be appreciated please….. happy to post pics if it helps?
thank you very much..
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:38 pm 
Post subject:

My advice is beware. Like any other field there appear to be more sharks than genuine collectors. You will be inundated with private messages where some will try and cherry pick for peanuts. The cup finals I would send to auction, auction houses like Sportingold take a 10% commission but have unlimited collectors in their audience. I know little about Bolton programmes but must advise you Bolton v Tottenham 60/61 is worth £150 to £250. If you have any from the 1930s or earlier send them to auction along with the cup finals. Issues from the 1940s and early 1950s are also in demand. Sixties and later are hard to sell with the exception of the odd programme like the fore mentioned Tottenham programme from 60/61. If you have any single sheet issues, Reserves etc, they are very popular especially against Man Utd, take care.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

I would second the advice given to you by Posh1959 for sure.

On a personal note i would be interested in anything Bolton Wanderers home or away but ONLY v Manchester United BEFORE 1946. Also I am interested in any Reserve or Youth programmes post 1946 concerning Bolton and Man United.

The majority of folk on this site are good people but there will always be an odd one looking to take an advantage-that is the way of the world.

I am a collector-you will see a link below showing some of my collection back to 1878 so if there is anything regarding Manchester United then please let me know either by PM or email [email protected] I am sure if you are uncertain about anything there are enough people on here to steer you in the right direction.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry to hear of the passing of your father in law. I’ve sent you a PM also, good luck in whatever you decide.
Rowlstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks everybody for their advice and honesty…..I think that there are some hard yards to put in for me to fully appreciate and understand the extent of his collection so I can answer prospective buyers questions…..

At some point I will answer the pm’s so thanks for getting in touch….it’s really appreciated Clap
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 pm 
Post subject:

Bolton v Sunderland 1954/5 also fetches a premium price - I bought a large Bolton collection a year or so ago and that issue will fetch upwards of £200+ in good condition. Diolch, Mark Thumbs Up
Fishy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:51 am 
Post subject:

Some great advice from the members above Rowlstar.
I will echo their advice to be very wary and seek professional advice.

Unfortunately, my club (Millwall) didn't play Bolton very often at all until the era when programmes became very easy to find. Thus, the only items I may be interested in would be representative matches involving Lions players - if you come across any please let me know.

Good luck with your sorting out and the decisions you make, it sounds like you have a nice inheritance, all be it under sad circumstances.
Ian
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 am 
Post subject:

Can you post any pictures Row.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:04 pm 
Post subject:

Assuming you are a complete novice have a look at a couple of Dealers websites to get a feel for average prices:

http://www.brentside.co.uk/programmes.asp

This 2nd dealer will give you an idea on 1960s forward:

http://www.footballprogrammes.com/newsite/Clubs/bolton.htm

I second the advice on any pre 1950s , Single Sheet issues etc on being very careful as you may have some really rare stuff taht you may wish to engage with an Auction House to sll on, Sporting Gold does rgaulr memorabilia sales:

https://www.sportingoldauctions.co.uk/

If you come across any Leeds Utd items I would be interested.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: