Football Programmes Centre

How do you store Newspaper style Programmes?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How do you store Newspaper style Programmes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:31 pm 
Post subject: How do you store Newspaper style Programmes?

Hi everyone,
I wondering how people store their big, newspaper style football programmes?

Some seasons, some teams produced those Newspaper style programmes for some games; like Northampton, Notts Co, Portsmouth, Plymouth all did in 1970s, and I wondering how do you store them safely?

My Northampton v Millwall 1979 LC is the size of a broadsheet newspaper; it massive - I not want to fold it permanently in storage, cos it creases badly along the fold line and ends up getting worn & torn along the fold -

So how can I store?

I don't think there's a plastic pocket, or a bookcase shelf, big enough or tall enough to hold it?

Cheers
Gary
tackler7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:23 pm 
Post subject:

I also collect newspapers (don't ask!)

The storage rules are keep them flat*, keep them out of sunlight and extreme temperatures.

* Folds aren't too bad if they isn't weight on the paper crushing and settling the fold. Any folded ones are best on top of any other non folded ones.

I store them in large plastic boxes.

The couple of oversize fit neatly under a wardrobe out of the way. You can cover them in a large plastic bag - the sort you get in packing boxes etc - to keep the dust off them.
overlap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:23 am 
Post subject:

For large newspaper issues, including things like Italian sports newspapers, I use an artist's portfolio folder.

They have a hard flexible cover and you can get extra plastic insert sheets if you have a large amount of papers to store.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

Back in the 70s, Derby used to sell large folders with the club name imprinted on the front which would hold a full season's Ram newspapers.

I've got a few of these but not enough to file all 12 seasons the newspaper programme was issued.

There's not a lot else you can do with them other than store them unfolded in a large box.

Of no censequence to this discussion but I was always a fan of The Ram. Partly because of the no-holds-barred approach of editor Harry Brown (he wasn't afraid to criticise the club when it was justified) but also because Derby had gone from, let's face it, one of the poorer programmes of the 60s with limited, unimaginative content to the new format which was the complete opposite.

I imagine it's a tough question to answer for other collectors who might have 41 regular-size league issues....and one newspaper issue. Even folded in half it's a fair size compared to them.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:26 pm 
Post subject:

tackler7 wrote:
I also collect newspapers (don't ask!)

The storage rules are keep them flat*, keep them out of sunlight and extreme temperatures.

* Folds aren't too bad if they isn't weight on the paper crushing and settling the fold. Any folded ones are best on top of any other non folded ones.

I store them in large plastic boxes.

The couple of oversize fit neatly under a wardrobe out of the way. You can cover them in a large plastic bag - the sort you get in packing boxes etc - to keep the dust off them.

You have a PM
GaryF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:38 pm 
Post subject: Storing Newspaper Programmes -

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Tackler7 had sound advice to lay flat & keep out of sunlight and store in boxes, which good if you have many, but as I only have few of them a box will be bit too much.

Overlap had interesting idea to use artist's portfolio, which sounds bit better for my situation & numbers.

If I wanted to store my newspaper football programmes with the rest of my programme collection on the bookcase, then I'd have to fold it in two: Which is last thing I want to do, as long term the crease will deteriorate & eventually split. So an artists portfolio, stored down the side of the bookcase might be the answer I looking for -

So thanks for the suggestion. I'll start looking for one of appropriate size.

Thanks again to everyone who posted. Much appreciated.
Gary
EFC_Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

I’ve got a few newspaper style programmes and I keep them in A3 plastic wallets, with a piece of cardboard to keep them ridgid.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: