Football Programmes Centre

What do you do with your collection?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What do you do with your collection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackler7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:11 pm 
Post subject: What do you do with your collection?

I'm interested what people do with their programmes once they have them? I'm interested to hear from the collectors not the dealers.

How many just file them away never to look at them again?

On the other hand how many share their collection with others via Web pages, twitter, Flickr, Facebook etc?

Who collects to use the information in some way? Research, Stats gathering etc?

How many write about their collection outside of the collecting community?

I use my (rugby) collection to help research the game and share the findings in a monthly newsletter I write plus I post on a number of Facebook groups.
se20blue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:08 pm 
Post subject:

I try to fill the gaps @ Ipswich Town website
prideofanglia.com
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:49 am 
Post subject: Re: What do you do with your collection?

tackler7 wrote:
I'm interested what people do with their programmes once they have them? I'm interested to hear from the collectors not the dealers.

How many just file them away never to look at them again?

On the other hand how many share their collection with others via Web pages, twitter, Flickr, Facebook etc?

Who collects to use the information in some way? Research, Stats gathering etc?

How many write about their collection outside of the collecting community?

I use my (rugby) collection to help research the game and share the findings in a monthly newsletter I write plus I post on a number of Facebook groups.

Been writing for Programme Monthly for over 30 years and i was the first collector in 2007 to discover Flickr as a visual record of my collection. I admit it was not until 2009 that i started to add stuff on in more regular way.

I am from the school of sharing what i have not hiding it away, that however is my personal choice and everyone is entitled to do as they see fit-but if your keeping it quiet at least be able to see it it. I know some collectors buy stuff-put it away and never look at it, it is just about acquiring, some simply do not want to others to know what they have.

Flickr gives both pleasure to me to see it and to countless others, furthermore it shows to others what is around. My www is being added too all the time as i sort out items i have had for ages plus new additions as well, probably two thirds in at a guess.

Whether or not you show anything or you do not we are all temporary Curators of our own collections, having had to give up 2 other collections over the years, if i never bought another thing ever again i can say i am happy with what i have found the 3rd time around more so than ever.

I am forever going through it all and seeing things that arrived years ago, yes i have missed out as we all do at auctions and the like but that is the nature of the Hobby.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:00 pm 
Post subject:

Apart from the collecting of programmes , Cardiff City and others, another interest is football statistics, mainly of players. So I use the programmes, and other sources like old newspaper reports etc, to collate stats. Some books on the club have appeared one rthe years but I have found out lots of the stats are wrong and then repeated in subsequent books.

I did visit the Football League many years ago and seen some time in the cellar trawling through the records. And met Jack rollin (Rothmans' Football yearbook) when I was there.

I also collect other South Wales clubs like Merthyr and Barry as many players played on for those clubs after leaving Cardiff. Only today I picked up a Hull v Rhyl FA Cup game from 1961 and there was a write up on Harry Kirtley ex Cardiff, some 5 years after he left City and was then playing for Rhyl.

There's a lot of historical information in those old programmes.

Tony§
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

Since getting back into the hobby again this time last year, I started writing the odd article about my collection for Programme Monthly therefore I'm in about it all the time.

I'm discovering and re discovering things about my team all the time reading through the old issues and its an education.

Not that I have had much opportunity during lockdown but I will be more than happy to show it off to mates etc once we can start getting together again in decent numbers.

Also enjoy helping other collectors where I can with info
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:18 pm 
Post subject:

Flickr's great fun to maintain and it's interesting to see what people look at on my own Flickr pages.

Another interesting (well, in my opinion) spin-off from programmes is to simply take a standard 60s or 70s issue and concentrate on the adverts.

Open up Google Maps and type in the addresses and see how many of the local businesses are still there. It can be quite revealing.

For instance, I was surprised that so many of the advertisers in the Workington programme of the early 60s were still around 50+ years later.

Well, I enjoy it.
andy1966

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

I've been scanning all pages from my collection onto my flickr page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_latchford/collections

I have also put together a site covering Everton's progress in the FA Youth cup from 1952-53 to present day, using programme pages, teamsheets and match reports from Newspapers. Its interesting how the best 17 year olds develop (or not) into first team players.

https://evertonfayouthcuphistory.webador.co.uk/

Plenty more to scan, and other projects to look at, our involvement in the Lancs Senior Cup, Lancs Youth Cup and the Liverpool Senior cup are also interesting.(or at least to me there are!)
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:30 pm 
Post subject:

andy1966 wrote:
I've been scanning all pages from my collection onto my flickr page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_latchford/collections

I tune in to your page once a fortnight or so - what I especially like is that you scan all the pages of a programme and not just the front cover.
andy1966

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:22 am 
Post subject:

its taking me ages!

Someone contacted me asking for scans of all the pages on the Youth Milk Cup programmes. These are 100 pages each and I only have a simple scanner so a big job. It was manchesterunitedman1 idea, thanks Leslie

I have some World War I programmes but they have taped spines so I can't scan them, any ideas let me know anyone
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:53 pm 
Post subject:

I have been sharing my collection (In a way) for about 15 years now by writing articles in the Bristol Rovers programme. Also run the website below where me and others share images of all sorts of Rovers memorabilia. A new section has just gone live as someone suggested, we try and get a picture of as many players, that have played a League match for us as we can. It has taken me 3 months to load them all up as there are 956 of them. Amazingly we have found all bar 4 of them.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
kcs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:43 am 
Post subject:

I scan the front cover of the majority of the programmes I collect and share them via my websites.

I would say I am more likely to dig out my Ashford items and read them in the interest of research for the stats I am trying to collate.

Although, being honest, some have probably never seen the light of day since I brought them and filed them

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Goonerak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:55 pm 
Post subject:

I have been scanning them in and putting them on my website:

https://thearsenalcollection.org.uk/

Although there haven't been many additions lately due to lack of time.

I did start trying to sell them on ebay but after selling a season's worth for £5 I couldn't bear to sell anymore. So, I've agreed with Arsenal In The Community that they can use them for sessions to help people who have issues such as dementia.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: