Football Programmes Centre

Your Football Ground
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Your Football Ground
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:00 am 
Post subject: Your Football Ground

Old Trafford has of late been under attack from United supporters as we all know recently, this is a brief look at the ground since it was opened in 1910.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjevLjSU

Perhaps anyone else can show some imagery of any other grounds and the history over the years?.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

Is there no one else that has images of their ground and any history at all?

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

Selhurst Park on opening day, August 30th 1924 - not long to its centenary now and a view that has hardly changed at all given the Archibald Leach stand opposite is still there, albeit with the residue of old floodlights on the roof. And rope attached to either end to stop the roof lifting off in the wind. Of course there are stands to our left as we now look (Holmesdale Road, built 1994) and to our right (Arthur Wait stand, Park Road, built 1969) so this actual view isn't possible but you get the gist. I've often wondered if the single bicycle resting on the kerb was still there at 4:45. My grandfather was somewhere there on the Holmesdale terrace as he was at every game until October 1968.

Dorking

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:55 pm 
Post subject:

Arthur Wait Stand, Selhurst Park 1979

Just a few months before, over 51,000 squeezed into this ground to see Palace win the Division 2 title

Nowadays, home and away fans alike complain about the cramped concourse and sparse facilities in this stand, however as you can see from this photo, in simpler times for the first 20 years of its life, the front half was standing, and the concourse situated at the rear only served half of the stand as it is now
holtie96

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 pm 
Post subject: Ground

Meanwhile
My image is of the sad demise of St Joseph’s road home to Guildford city football club, shafted by the local authority and never was the same again. Guildford were once big hitters on the non league scene.
stfc831968

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:08 pm 
Post subject:

This first picture is of Swindon's main stand in the late 60's

The second picture is from 1970/71 time, when they were building the new stand behind the old one

The third picture is how the stand looks now. Originally once the new stand was finished the seats below remained for a while then were removed. The stand was finished in the 92-93 season when the bottom lot of seats were put in.

The main stand opposite this one was terracing with a cover over the middle. Then in 1958 Swindon purchased a stand from the Aldershot tattoo and once installed it looked as such. I spent many a happy time on the terracing in the 80's/early 90's. The seats above were wooden so this part of the stand was closed in 1985 after the Bradford Fire Disaster

A new stand was built to replace this in 1994, and is as below

It was terracing either end, the home end was turned into an all seater stand in 1990 (or seats were bolted on to the terracing)

And the same with the other end in 1994 when seats were bolted on to the terracing to comply with the Taylor Report

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:16 am 
Post subject:

A few images of Old Trafford in various guises over the years since it opened in 1910

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjevLjSU

just a nudge-is there no one else out there with any images they wish to share at all??.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:38 am 
Post subject:

Part of the main stand at Brunton Park was used as a 1950s version of Old Trafford in the 2018 film United - the Busby Babes and the Munich Air Crash.
The stand was built in the early 50s after the original grandstand burned down. The stand still has wooden seats - they are surprisingly comfortable.

Brunton Park has more standing room than any other league ground (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

I will have a look for a few images of how the ground was in the early years.

If Leslie doesn’t mind the thread being hijacked, there are some great ground views on the covers of old programmes of many clubs that would be a good source.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:08 am 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Part of the main stand at Brunton Park was used as a 1950s version of Old Trafford in the 2018 film United - the Busby Babes and the Munich Air Crash.
The stand was built in the early 50s after the original grandstand burned down. The stand still has wooden seats - they are surprisingly comfortable.

Brunton Park has more standing room than any other league ground (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

I will have a look for a few images of how the ground was in the early years.

If Leslie doesn’t mind the thread being hijacked, there are some great ground views on the covers of old programmes of many clubs that would be a good source.

Hijack away!

However with the advent of the new safe standing seats that is coming into the game[MUFC has already installed some in readiness for the new season] eventually as more and more space is given up to this great idea then perhaps your claim will in time have to stand to one side in due course.

The thread is to show grounds as they were so the more the merrier! Thumbs Up

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:30 am 
Post subject:

I took these round about 1981/82. Still got a couple of albums full of others. Really ought to do something with them. Had no idea at the time that so many of these grounds would change markedly or disappear altogether.

Manchester United

Scunthorpe United

Notts County

Blackpool

Leicester City

Darlington

Doncaster Rovers

Grimsby Town

Plus a very atmospheric study of Oakwell, Barnsley from 1912 (which I didn't take)

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:28 pm 

Tranmere Rovers in action in front of fans standing in The Cow Shed at Prenton Park. Looks like 1950s. Nowadays it’s The Cow Shed Stand for away fans.Why was it named The Cow Shed? Nobody really knows. Cows were never kept there. One explanation is that the original structure , constructed from corrugated sheeting, resembled a cowshed.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:29 pm 
Post subject:

Derby, your photos are great. I visited all of the grounds you have shown in the early to mid 80s. Some great days out and some not so good.

Here is an image of Ninian Park from 1959 (the match shown is v Liverpool). Visited Ninian Park a few times in the 90s and there was always a decent atmosphere.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:09 pm 
Post subject:

I took these photos of The Baseball Ground in the summer of 1981, being allowed "behind the scenes" so to speak.
A bit blurry but the camera was one of those cheap throw-away efforts.
Wish I could go back now with my smartphone and do justice to the stadium!

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:20 am 
Post subject:

Excellent Images-Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond, but surely there are others who can post even if just one image would be good to see. Keep em coming Clap

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

Here is an image of Goodison Park on the cover of a programme from 6 May 1939.

One of my favourite top flight stadiums.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:08 pm 

Carlisleprogs, a postcard (colour photo ) of Goodson Park from 1910 has just sold on eBay for £515. Bloody hell! I’ll have to dig through that box of bits and pieces that l’ve got . I know that there’s a postcard of Leicester Fosse playing at what l think is Mill Lane 1890. Leicester’s Ernest Nuttall can be identified in the shot.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

Flaming Pie, the same seller sold a 1910 postcard of Brighton’s ground for £330. They are lovely items but out of my price range!

You might be interested to know that Harry Catterick was in the Everton A line up in the match above v UGB St Helen’s
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:39 pm 

Carlisleprogs, Harry Catterick , what a great manager. Probably only Howard Kendall can top him as Everton’s greatest. Here’s that photo of Leicester Fosse 1890 . I mentioned this on the forum a few years ago. I never found out who Mr Aston was. I didn’t even know who the team about to kick-off are. After a bit of research , they appear to be Leicester Fosse playing at Mill Lane 1890-91 era. Player in the centre with badge on shirt is Ernest Nuttall. I might stick it on eBay and see what happens.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:45 am 
Post subject:

This is an action postcard of the Manchester United v Liverpool match in 1910 which was the opening first match at Old Trafford, i kind of think the £515 price would be dwarfed a little if this came on the market perhaps?

Also an original newspaper article about the Old Trafford opening and some other action image.

https://flic.kr/p/XhCCtX
https://flic.kr/p/94Yn6v
https://flic.kr/p/eAqP9v
https://flic.kr/p/2mafAih

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:54 am 
Post subject:

Don't know if anyone saw it but on Talking Pictures earlier this week their was a film on called 'Cup Fever' and some of the footage was shot at Old Trafford and some at the ground of Altrincham F C, the film was made in the mid 1960's.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: