Football Programmes Centre

Giving up
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Giving up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:22 am 
Post subject:

I'm in a position where I have accumulated well over 80,000 programmes spanning over 53 years. They have taken over the entire attic, and have now started to encroach into the bedroom, not a very happy Mrs Grumpypants at this point!!!! I have come to the point where I realise, I must dispose of the 'hoard', as none of my four children, now adults, want, like or even like the smell of them. But I find that I just can't let go!!!
I realise that the 'hoard' will eventually be their problem, when I have 'gone'. I just hope that they don't go to landfill or paper recyclying or be sold for pittance to someone, if there are any collectors left.
I am also resorting to just collecting Welsh Non-League pin badges, much more space saving than programmes. and getting the last programmes concerning Torquay from 1945 onwards. Get My Coat
cardiff55

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:14 pm 
Post subject:

I have just been reading some old Programme Monthly mags and it does seem to be a British thing, the collecting of programmes. The ones I have read are 25-35 years old and the same topics are discussed as now. The price of programmes, dealers being too expensive, the decline of the programme fair, etc. And that at a time before the internet, auctions and the like.

One particular point was that in other countries pins and badges are collectable, but maybe not so much here? I don't know. Certainly since those PM replica shirts have a big market etc and the advent of Ebay has had an effect. Price wise, some 1950 Cardiff (who I collect) were on offers lists then and now sell for below the cost of 25-30 years ago. Obviously the rarities still attract good prices.

Who will I sell too if I give up/retire? I cam back in to the hobby couple of years ago and have found scores of Cardiff collectors I didn't know existed a few years ago. As per the old PM mags, the really rare stuff is going for very high money (evidenced by Sportingold's auction last week). None of my sons are interested, so I may donated to the club (who had most of their memorabilia stolen some years back).
matt blue

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:39 pm 
Post subject:

You know I’m always ready to buy Tony Wink

Take a look at my work in progress !!
GaryF

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:14 pm 
Post subject: Storage

Hi
Few people mentioned storage can be a problem and a deciding factor in ending their collections.

As a proud collector, this gives me a chance to show off and post a picture of the two book cases I keep all my programmes, FLRs and No One Likes Us" fanzines (though I not collect the fanzines; people just keep giving them to me!).

Though my picture is a bit deceptive as its very old and I have piles of new programmes to be put into the correct seasons, which means more programmes per shelf to be added, reducing the space, resulting in whole shelves, even the whole bookcase being rearranged..! A mammoth job, I've put off, but which I hope to get round to while I on holiday this week.

Still, I get a chance to show off my collection, all the Homes in season order, and the Aways starting on lower shelf and then onto the 2nd bookcase. Books & Fanzines bottom right. Though some books on other top shelf too.

So two bookcases..... is that too much space?

Well....., I also got two big boxes and several piles of Spares out of sight, laying around on the floor. So maybe not just two book shelves??

How do others store their collections?

Cheers
Gary
seand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 am 
Post subject: Re: Storage

GaryF wrote:
Hi
Few people mentioned storage can be a problem and a deciding factor in ending their collections.

As a proud collector, this gives me a chance to show off and post a picture of the two book cases I keep all my programmes, FLRs and No One Likes Us" fanzines (though I not collect the fanzines; people just keep giving them to me!).

Though my picture is a bit deceptive as its very old and I have piles of new programmes to be put into the correct seasons, which means more programmes per shelf to be added, reducing the space, resulting in whole shelves, even the whole bookcase being rearranged..! A mammoth job, I've put off, but which I hope to get round to while I on holiday this week.

Still, I get a chance to show off my collection, all the Homes in season order, and the Aways starting on lower shelf and then onto the 2nd bookcase. Books & Fanzines bottom right. Though some books on other top shelf too.

So two bookcases..... is that too much space?

Well....., I also got two big boxes and several piles of Spares out of sight, laying around on the floor. So maybe not just two book shelves??

How do others store their collections?

Cheers
Gary

Good stuff Gary, thanks for sharing. I suspect 2 shelves is on the lower end of the spectrum round these parts Laughing
There was a thread recently about storage.....
http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31833
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:37 pm 
Post subject:

I use comic boxes bags and,boards. Fit about 120 in.

Not my picture.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

cardiff55 wrote:
the really rare stuff is going for very high money

Yesterday I came across a Sports Programmes offers catalogue from 1988 which, for some reason, I had held onto.
Some of those minimum bids would make you weep.

By the way, if anyone wants this catalogue, if only for nostalgic purposes, let me know and I'll post it out. Gratis. It's no use to me.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:03 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
cardiff55 wrote:
the really rare stuff is going for very high money

Yesterday I came across a Sports Programmes offers catalogue from 1988 which, for some reason, I had held onto.
Some of those minimum bids would make you weep.

By the way, if anyone wants this catalogue, if only for nostalgic purposes, let me know and I'll post it out. Gratis. It's no use to me.

That's interesting, I have been trying to pick up old catalogues but there don't seem to be many around but I would take you up on your offer and pay the postage.

[email protected]

Tony
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

Ill health was the major reason I gave up my collection, I am a failed seller due to the fact that I have so many friends who are collectors and I give away at cost or for free i've also made some bad decisions but I only buy and sell to stay in the hobby that I love.
GaryF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:55 pm 
Post subject: Good to Know

Hi
I did send this as a PM to Eck, but it was supposed to be a Public Post, as I sure others will agree that Eck is not a 'failed seller', as he put it, but rather a good collector mate to know!
------------------
Hi Folks
I don't think Eck should have said he was a "failed seller" for selling his progs cheaply to his mates & others, in fact I'd have called you a great collector mate to know.

Instead, you come across as a genuine collector, who knows it not always about the money, but about finding the progs to put in your collection. And it a shame money can get in the way.

I sure every collector has seen an average, common prog they need being sold for an over-inflated price that you just can't afford.

Which is why, like you, I have several collector friends who all try to help each other out with their collections.

I have given away many average, common progs, and have received many myself in return from my fellow collectors, most usually for nothing but the cost of postage, or a nominal charge based on costs. We also share bulk deals sometimes to reduce costs.

We do this because its about filling our collections, and not about the money.

So I think Eck would've been a great collector mate to have known. He would've been a most welcome and valued contact amongst other genuine collectors:

Don't get me wrong. I do try sell on ebay to help raise money for my collecting budget (not that successfully). And if it an item that cost me, then I will try to sell to recover that cost. But if it an average, everyday common programme, that didn't cost me much, then I would be more than happy to swap, or give it away, to one of my collector mates.

Its knowing good helpful collectors like Eck, which has helped me untold times to receive hundreds of progs for my collection that should have cost me a small fortune. And I know I've sent out many progs myself to help others with their collections. You just pass it on; cool karma.

So I think you have been doing a great job helping others and kudos to you for it Eck.

GaryF
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:04 pm 
Post subject:

In fairness Gary, I know a few of Villa's biggest collectors and like to think of myself as a decent one.
If we get hold of something that we think that we have but that the others need, then we contact each other. Granted, it's sort of "gloves off" if something comes up that a number of us want, but where possible, we help each other out and so, weirdly, seem to appreciate each others collections more.
GaryF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:16 pm 
Post subject: Gloves Off

Hi ronsaunders (any relation to the Villa/Brummie manager?)

Thanks for post - Just wanted to say that when it comes to a programme on offer that several of my collector mates also want, then yeah, like your mates, its gloves off and everyone for himself (which usually cuts me out as I generally not got as deeper pockets) - But its fair enough; we all know the score - and if another copy does turn up in the future then someone will let you know.

But overall, it been really helpful swapping, sharing, selling at cost and generally helping out other collectors where possible. It has saved me a lot of money and I've made contact with some really nice, helpful, decent collectors/sellers, who've all helped me add to my collection (and vice versa).

I would therefore recommend any collector to try organise a small network of fellow collectors, even if they support another team.

And finally, if my spare progs boxes get too full and they not shifting, then I donate them to a non-league football club's programme shop (they a registered charity) to help them raise money for the club.

So, get networking everyone, its a win win!
GaryF
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

Great words by GaryF with regards to Eck.

Well said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: