Football Programmes Centre

1922-23 CARDIFF CITY BOUND VOLUME.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1922-23 CARDIFF CITY BOUND VOLUME.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelseapeter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:47 am 
Post subject: 1922-23 CARDIFF CITY BOUND VOLUME.

HI.ALL.THE CARDIFF BOUND VOLUME BROUGHT AT MMULLOCKS AUCTION LAST WEEK.GOT ME THINKING WOULD YOU BUY A VOLUME OF PRE-WAR PROGRAMES WITHOUT COVERS TO GET HOLD OF A PROGRAME OF YOUR CLUB AND RESELL THE REST FOR A PROFIT.WOULD YOU STAY CLEAR OF A PROGRAME WITHOUT OUTER COVERS.DO YOU HAVE ANY IN YOUR COLLECTION.ARE THEY WORTH A FRACTION OF THE PRICE.THE CARDIFF BOUND VOLUME ON EBAY SPLIT UP DOES NOT SEEM TO BE SELLING WELL.NOW HAS A BEST OFFER ON ALL FIRST TEAM AN RESEVES.I SUPPOSE THE CHANCES ARE YOU COULD END UP FINDING IT HARD TO SELL THEM ALL.
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 pm 
Post subject:

Bound voilumes are what they are and I believe they should be left as such. someone has gone to a lot of trouble to do this so why break it up? The case is even more compelling when the issues are missing their covers.
I seem to recollect a load of Bury pre-war which were being sold with replacement covers, sort of a bit like an old table with a new top but it is an antique guv! They used to do it a lot with illustrated books and sell the prints in frames, anything to make a few bob eh!
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm 
Post subject:

Buying a programme of that vintage without a cover is like buying a Vintage car without it's headlights, grille and bonnet

Yes the cover could be replaced, but for me it wouldn't be the same.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:09 pm 
Post subject:

I tend to agree. As a Cardiff fan I believe there is little value in ex bound volume programmes without covers. I see a batch have appeared on Ebay, and some have been sold.

The vendor is a well known dealer. I think the purchase price of these was £650 + fees. If all of them sell on Ebay a total of c£2500 would be realised. I don't have problem with that as dealers are there to make money.

There is one I am interested in but it's £40 for a reserve game so most likely will give it a miss.

Tony
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

I think if the covers are missing it shouldn't be broken up - in my humble opinion a programme missing a cover is not just worth less - it is worthless

If however the programmes are complete then I don't see an issue with unbinding and selling individually.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
I think if the covers are missing it shouldn't be broken up - in my humble opinion a programme missing a cover is not just worth less - it is worthless

If however the programmes are complete then I don't see an issue with unbinding and selling individually.

If I had the funds I would have bought them and kept them complete. There were three Pre War Cardiff bound volumes, two went for £650 each , the third for £1200! Two post War ones (1960s) went for £75 each. There's a lot of great historical data in them too, and the pre War ones included all the reserve games too.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

I have a few pre war bound volumes and would never consider removing them from the binding. I would also never buy a programme which is missing its cover. Bound volumes are unique usually containing all the seasons issues including Reserves and other games played at the ground. Sacrilege in my opinion to dismantle them.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

The lack of covers is the key factor, surely? Dismantling, however professionally, documents that have been bound for almost a century seems crude at best.
And I can't believe the vendor would find too many buyers for cover-less programmes.
I wouldn't want an "incomplete" programme but maybe others think differently?
I did buy a pre-war Bury issue without a cover but a) it was a reserve game and b) it only cost me £3........so it was VFM at that amount.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:06 pm 
Post subject:

I bought a 1952 Austria v England lion of Vienna programme without a cover the one which has two players on the front.
Spare cover anybody?
It's a shame really because the rest of it is in good order.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm 
Post subject:

I would have to agree with colchestersid.
Many moons ago a mate of mine bought at auction, may have been Bonhams, a bound set of Chelsea from 1907/08 just so he could have the QPR v Manchester United Charity Shield match.
He put all the other programmes in separately into auction a few months later and made ten times what he bought the volume for in the first place!
It thus gives collectors a chance of obtaining an individual programme they may not have had the chance to pick up otherwise.
For instance, there is a postponed but issued QPR programme from the White City era 1962/63 against Workington which I've not seen without it being an ex-bound volume.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

Having said that if they lacked covers I would certainly be giving them a very wide berth...
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 pm 
Post subject:

I have an intact Bound Volume for Manchester United 1935-6 the season they gained promotion that has no "commercial covers". This property once belonged to the United manager A.Scott Duncan before he left for Ipswich Town then in the Southern League.

I am serialising it on my website showing 2 programmes at a time.

This is the 3rd such volume for this same season to have ever turned up, one did at Auction 10 years ago or so and the buyer foolishly split it up and put them on ebay, I missed the sale for whatever reasons at that time, but did a deal with the seller to take them all-on arriving he "forgot" to advise me that he had sold one v Hull City so i asked if he would contact the buyer t o see if he would let it go and he refused-fair enough so as i had purchased them as a full set I sent them back and got my money back. Then I obtained this volume and only last week at Stacys another 1935-6 turned up-i had a chance to buy it and was advised it was 1934-5 without covers-then i was told it was 1935-6 so i had no further interest, vendor was looking for over £2k and needless to say he still owns it!

I have had bound volumes for some other 1930's seasons since but i preferred because they have the covers attached to split them up for my own benefit.

Financially without covers they are worth a fraction of the the price of course, but i purchased this 1935-6 volume because it is a complete season, i have also purchased from time to time some Reserve away's with no covers as long as the price has been reasonable and missed out on one only recently on ebay but that is how it goes!

I know where that 1922-3 BV originated from and there are many many more seasons, i think this was a tester to see how the land lied price wise so expect to see a lot more turning up.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

Further to my earlier comments, I think he bound volumes are a historical work of art! Especially the pre War ones. But the vendor has already got his money back, sold about 9 for £750, including a Leeds one for £150.

It is a business for them after all, and the market for expensive pre War bound volumes is very limited.
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:42 pm 
Post subject:

I have a number of individual pre-war Middlesbrough programmes without covers. They provide historical content not referenced elsewhere. Dependant on opposition and season, I may have to pay circa £500 more for copies of the same programme with a cover. That would be £500 for 4 pages of full page adverts, one of which would be dated with the opposition.

Although it provides completeness, who would have thought that 4 pages of adverts would add so much worth?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: