Football Programmes Centre

Sportingold lot 965
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sportingold lot 965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:00 pm 
Post subject: Sportingold lot 965

Hello gents a query the above lot is for a 1906 crystal palace programme v Swindon our first as a league club 1905/6 but it is a programme for the day's events at the crystal palace and in the itinerary at 3.30 is the palace match so my question is this does this constitute a palace programme or is it a bit of a reach to call it such ? as a palace fan it's about as good as it gets programme wise but is it one ?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

CRYSTAL PALACE V SWINDON 1906 Programme for Crystal Palace 7/3/1906 covering all of the events of the day held at the venue. The events include at 3.30 on the Football Ground, Crystal Palace, in their first season as a professional club, v Swindon in the United League Championship. Underneath it states, "For Teams, see Special Card, price 1d.". Light tape on the spine, slightly creased and slight wear around the edges. Fair

I'm sure a Palace expert can answer this but it reads like the Special Card mentioned would be the programme?
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

Yes being a bit ocd I'm of that opinion but never having come across anything that early palace programme wise it's about as good as it gets so I'll go for it
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:17 pm 
Post subject:

The special card mentioned is as far as I am concerned is the programme, this had the teams shown on one side with a picture of the Crystal Palace on the reverse side.

What is listed is what it is a programme of all the events of the day being held in the Crystal Palace and surrounding grounds, ceertainly not a football programme issued for the game
Alytheeagle

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:09 am 
Post subject:

It is not a programme. There was once something similar for sale advertising the cup final at the palace. It is simply a brochure for all events taking place at the old crystal palace.
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:27 pm 
Post subject:

Cpfc jim wrote:
Yes being a bit ocd I'm of that opinion but never having come across anything that early palace programme wise it's about as good as it gets so I'll go for it

After a quick eBay search there is one similar listed dated even earlier from 1903 listed for $35.00 (on eBay USA) which covers the football match ''Crystal Palace School of Engineering v Old Monstrosians'' with a one paragraph preview on page five. I'm guessing the one at Sportingold has a similar sized preview, and if so not worth the £220-£250 reserve in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283621814213?hash=item42092d6fc5:g:zSIAAOSwjotdh4dz
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 pm 
Post subject:

1980Cossie wrote:
Cpfc jim wrote:

After a quick eBay search there is one similar listed dated even earlier from 1903 listed for $35.00 (on eBay USA) which covers the football match ''Crystal Palace School of Engineering v Old Monstrosians'' with a one paragraph preview on page five. I'm guessing the one at Sportingold has a similar sized preview, and if so not worth the £220-£250 reserve in my opinion.

That's from Crystal Palace park, nothing to do with CPFC which was founded in 1905. The 1906 one is different gravy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:48 pm 
Post subject:

If I may chip in, as I have a couple of these programmes like it.

The Crystal Palace park was an enormous pleasure park built in the Victorian era, and was a whole day out. There were fairground rides, bandstands with regular performances, sporting arenas, and the Crystal Palace exhibition building itself, I believe the biggest building in the world when it was built, like a Victorian version of the Millennium Dome, but made out of glass.

When you went there there was a programme available for 2d

It was 16-20 pages long and crammed full of listings of all the things you could see and do on that day.

I have a couple, one from 1906 and one from 1907. As I say, they mention shows in the theatre, band performances etc

There would be a plan of the whole park, plus a plan of the exhibits in the Crystal Palace building itself also

The day would end with a huge fireworks show

The couple I have each feature details of a Crystal Palace FC home fixture that would have played in the 'Cup Final' stadium on that day. But it is merely a listing of the game being on (which people who were already at the park could usually pop into to watch for a small additional charge)
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

For some reason I can only load one photo per message

This is the plan of the park and the Crystal Palace building that was in each programme

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

Presumably they don't contain the "special card" referred to above?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:56 pm 
Post subject:

No Pete, just pages and pages of listings of cycle races, bands playing and bird shows! - the football fixture card mentioned in the game listing was the Programmicard, and it was a separate item. I'll come to that in a moment

You could be at Crystal Palace park for your day out from 10am to 10.30pm!

This is what the listing would be in such programmes - mention of the fixture, the kick off time and that there was also a fixture card available at the football ground

Last edited by Dorking on Sat May 15, 2021 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

The Programmicard was the 'Special card' which you could buy for 1d if you had paid the sixpence supplement to go into the ground to watch the game, and what any football programme collector would regard as the 'programme'

This is a 1907 one

In my opinion the Crystal Palace 'park' programmes are lovely things to have (as a Crystal Palace fan) - it helped me explain to my son how our football club came to be - as part of the biggest and best Victorian 'theme park' in the whole UK - of multiple attractions

I wouldn't pay £200+ for one, unless it was literally the first ever home game day of CPFC.

But if that park programme was the first game day of Swindon, then go for it, it's the next best thing to the Programmicard for the game, which is unlikely to ever turn up.

Last edited by Dorking on Sat May 15, 2021 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:16 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I have that copy too. The original is on Ebay at the moment @ £2750.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363314539921

Had that been inside the Sportingold lot, it would be very interesting!
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

Finally from me, this is a rare photo of the Crystal Palace Park programme sellers from 1911

A bit fancier than the scruffs you get these days shouting "get yer programmes!"

1980Cossie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:24 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
1980Cossie wrote:
Cpfc jim wrote:

That's from Crystal Palace park, nothing to do with CPFC which was founded in 1905. The 1906 one is different gravy.

The one on eBay sold with ''buy it now'' circa 5 minutes after i'd posted the link on the forum earlier today.

Like i said before, it's a lot of money to pay for a devoted paragraph referring/mentioning a forthcoming football match on one internal page
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

The one on ebay sold for $35?
With the charges (£24.84 + £15.45 postage + about £13 import charges) a total of about £53

That would be about right in my opinion if it had a mention of a Crystal Palace match in it (the 1903 one that sold on ebay for a total of £53 doesn't)

The 1906 one listed on Sportingold which features mention of a Crystal Palace RESERVES match against Swindon in the United League is no way worth the estimate of £260 to £280 in my opinion. But good luck to the seller if they get that. I guess Sportingold and the seller are hoping a couple of collectors want it badly.
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Finally from me, this is a rare photo of the Crystal Palace Park programme sellers from 1911

A bit fancier than the scruffs you get these days shouting "get yer programmes!"

You could not give that description to Palace legend Clive "Side-o" Waters

Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

Sido bless him palace legend a nod from Sido and you knew you were part of the inner circle lol
kenners46

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:03 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:

Oi, my daughter sells programmes at Palace, ill let her know to drop some burger sauce on your next programme you buy lol
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: