Football Programmes Centre

Ian St John RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ian St John RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm 
Post subject: Ian St John RIP

Superb footballer, one of Motherwell and Scotland's finest, before moving to Liverpool in 1961 and starring there for a decade. 21 Scottish caps. But over and above that, his partnership on TV with Jimmy Greaves will make him always remembered as a true football legend.

Here he is in 1966, having just become coach at Skelmersdale Utd.

RIP Saint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

Another one of my boyhood heroes departed.

RIP Saint
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:11 pm 
Post subject: Ian St John RlP

Sad news about the saint. I did meet him at a book launch at LFC . Most of that great 1960s team were sitting together at this big round table. All were friendly and were only too happy to sign stuff. I had taken the programme from the Dixie Dean testimonial game from the 1960s. It was England v Scotland with the two teams made up from Everton and Liverpool’s English and Scottish players. St John was signing it and then started laughing . “ Look at this lads, l see Ronnie Moran got a cap for England in the 1960s! “ he quipped. Ronnie was sitting next to St John laughing his head off. One of the England players in the Dean game was Johnny Morrissey, a great winger who Everton had virtually stolen from Liverpool behind Shankly’s back. I asked the two of them was Morrissey’s reputation as one of the toughest wingers in the game justified? “ Yeah, he was a dirty bastard “ St John remarked. As you can tell, he was great company.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: