Football Programmes Centre

Can Anyone Help to identify the Opposition?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can Anyone Help to identify the Opposition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:24 am 
Post subject: Can Anyone Help to identify the Opposition?

An original Press Photo unmarked on the rear.

I believe it is 1949-50 and the opening match of the Season as well as the first match at Old Trafford after the War.

The action shows Jack Rowley shooting towards goal and probably scoring.

My question is in that opening match the opponents were Bolton Wanderers but i do not recognise their players, does anyone else?.

That season the only other side who played at United in White shirts were Derby County and they won 1-0, where as v Bolton United did win 3-0 and Rowley was one of the scorers.

Thanking in advance if any other member of the Forum can shed any light and confirm or dispell my original thoughts

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:48 am 
Post subject: Can Anyone Help To ldentify The Opposition?

I know it doesn’t fit with your dates Leslie, but player on the right looks very like Alf Ramsey. Could it be against Spurs, Jan 1951? The other player in white could be Harry Clarke?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:57 pm 
Post subject:

My first thought was that it looks too muddy to be a season-opening August fixture.

Secondly, while Derby & Bolton may have been the only sides normally in white in 49/50, there are several "reds" who would have had to change - Liverpool (this isn't them), Arsenal, Charlton, Sunderland. Stoke City. And what colours did Weymouth wear in the cup game in Jan 1950?

As Pie suggests, Spurs is a possibility. It does look a bit like Sir Alf, and their white shirt would have a cockerel on the breast - this shirt does have a badge.

Leslie, if you would please email me the jpeg, I can ask around a few historians and collectors who are brilliant at this sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
BAZZERFOX42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:40 pm 
Post subject:

Jack Rowley scoring the winner on the 13th January 1951 in a 2-1 victory over Spurs (who later that season won the title) ...
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

Bingo Bazzer, I think you and Pie have cracked it! Thumbs Up
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: Can Anyone Help To ldentify The Opposition?

Flaming Pie wrote:
I know it doesn’t fit with your dates Leslie, but player on the right looks very like Alf Ramsey. Could it be against Spurs, Jan 1951? The other player in white could be Harry Clarke?

Many Thanks always great to find the correct answer! Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:59 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
My first thought was that it looks too muddy to be a season-opening August fixture.

Secondly, while Derby & Bolton may have been the only sides normally in white in 49/50, there are several "reds" who would have had to change - Liverpool (this isn't them), Arsenal, Charlton, Sunderland. Stoke City. And what colours did Weymouth wear in the cup game in Jan 1950?

As Pie suggests, Spurs is a possibility. It does look a bit like Sir Alf, and their white shirt would have a cockerel on the breast - this shirt does have a badge.

Leslie, if you would please email me the jpeg, I can ask around a few historians and collectors who are brilliant at this sort of thing.

Yes i think Tottenham in 1951 is the answer-I checked Weymouth Town-wore Green Shirts-Many Thanks Pete!

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:01 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZERFOX42 wrote:
Jack Rowley scoring the winner on the 13th January 1951 in a 2-1 victory over Spurs (who later that season won the title) ...

Many Thanks i now tend to agree with you all-Thanks ! Thumbs Up

grantham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

The image was used on the cover of the programme for United v Leeds, 27/01/1951

Where is also states it's United v Tottenham 13/01/1951
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

grantham wrote:
The image was used on the cover of the programme for United v Leeds, 27/01/1951

Where is also states it's United v Tottenham 13/01/1951

Spot on! I never thought to look!! Well Done for spotting, but no Alf Ramsay in the photo.

1950-10022 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: