Football Programmes Centre

STANLEY MATTHEWS ADVERT
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
STANLEY MATTHEWS ADVERT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaudog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:38 pm 
Post subject: STANLEY MATTHEWS ADVERT

I love the adverts in the old programmes. This is the back page of a Wrexham issue in the late 50s and features one of our local legends Sir Stanley Matthews. It is so interesting to look at the social side of our cities and towns and we tell a lot from these adverts. have you a favourite ? In our local facebook group some joker, based in London, suggested that Matthews was like a shire horse compared to the thoroughbreds of today and all the advances in physical conditioning, tactical awareness and being totally honed to the highest standard in so many ways, would make it highly probable that Matthews would be fortunate to break into the present Blackpool team or maybe a non-league outfit. Still smiling a week later.
Merseman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 pm 
Post subject:

I find the adverts are usually more of a 'social commentary' than even the editorials. Not just in nostalgic, innocent, comical or "you couldn't get away with that nowadays" senses either...

Wales Amateurs v Scotland Amateurs in 1961 has a full backpage ad from Civil Defence (indeed it's only significant ad in whole programme).

"We all know what a hideous thing this H-bomb is, and what horror and destruction it could cause. But to say that it must mean the end of the world is nonsense. On all the best estimates, millions and millions of people could come through".

Thanks for that reassurance General.

Cheerful stuff from Ton-Pentre!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:06 am 
Post subject: Re: STANLEY MATTHEWS ADVERT

beaudog wrote:
In our local facebook group some joker, based in London, suggested that Matthews was like a shire horse compared to the thoroughbreds of today and all the advances in physical conditioning, tactical awareness and being totally honed to the highest standard in so many ways, would make it highly probable that Matthews would be fortunate to break into the present Blackpool team or maybe a non-league outfit. Still smiling a week later.

Laughing Sounds like another Plastic from Chelsea.

Let today's footballers don them heavy boots, kick and head a leather casey on shit pitches with somebody trying to kick lumps out of them, instead of these lightweight boots, lightweight balls, playing on carpets with hardly a tackle in sight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:40 pm 
Post subject: Stanley Matthews Advert

beaudog, they have got to be joking surely? The likes of Matthews, Finney , Dean , Best , Greaves, Charlton would have been great in any era. They would have adjusted to new training methods and risen to the top. I remember Jack Charlton talking about playing against Matthews when Jack was a young Leeds player. He said Stan was over 40-years old, but still left him for dead with his speed. What has changed is the fact that successful teams had secret methods to achieve success. Take for example the Spurs team that won the title in 1950-51. It was Craven ‘A’ cigarettes. Once they had all had a puff on them they romped to the First Division Championship. Ten years later in 1961 the great Spurs ‘ double’ team all wore string vests. They have only won it twice. To prove my point, here’s some pics of Eddie Baily from the 1951 team having a puff before a game and Spurs 1961 goalie Bill Brown in his string vest. I have written to Mourinho and told him to get them on the Craven ‘A’ and kit them all out in string vests. If they take my advice, they might still win it this season Very Happy
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: