Football Programmes Centre

Leeds Euro pirate mock up front covers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Leeds Euro pirate mock up front covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driver8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:17 pm 
Post subject: Leeds Euro pirate mock up front covers

It looks like both of these have 'borrowed' Newcastle Euro programmes (from 1968-69) to create pirate mock up front covers. I wonder if any unsuspecting person will try to source an original !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VITORIA-SETUBAL-v-LEEDS-UTD-1970-71-REPLICA-COVER-MATCH-REPORT/324490573963?hash=item4b8d25388b:g:r5IAAOSwXGxgLALm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UJPESTI-DOZSA-v-LEEDS-UTD-1968-69-REPLICA-COVER-MATCH-REPORTS/324492927989?hash=item4b8d4923f5:g:SIsAAOSw1EFgMQnM

Newcastle original
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ujpest-Dozsa-v-Newcastle-United-1969-Fairs-Cup-Final-Programme-11-6-69-Ujpesti/254587546801?hash=item3b4699acb1:g:pv0AAOSwlXder-LV

Although the 'artist' managed to correct the venue/stadium for the Vitoria v Leeds match (the Newcastle game was played in Lisbon) they got the Ujpest v Leeds stadium wrong - it was also played at Megyeri ut Dozsa Stadion (not Nep Stadion).

https://www.magyarfutball.hu/hu/merkozesek/1969-03-19/ujpest-leeds

Apart from the match report another piece of tat ?
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

As a Leeds collector I have been tracking several of the Leeds items, It does look like the EBay Seller (Wakefield based) is selling up a Leeds Utd Collection.

He has listed several photocopies of Leeds European aways from the 1960s over the past several weeks, many being covers of actual programmes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERENCVAROS-v-LEEDS-UTD-1968-69-REPLICA-COVER-2-MATCH-REPORTS/324487449961?hash=item4b8cf58d69:g:GC4AAOSwUldgKrVw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNAMO-DRESDEN-v-LEEDS-UTD-1970-71-REPLICA-COVER-MATCH-REPORT-REPLICA-TICKET/324488720500?hash=item4b8d08f074:g:mscAAOSwt5ZgLBlR

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARCELONA-v-LEEDS-UTD-1971-72-REPLICA-COVER-MATCH-REPORT/324493034977?hash=item4b8d4ac5e1:g:QJUAAOSwE4tgHn7x

It may well be that specific items are 'pirates' but at 99p they are not exactly expensive and will fill a gap where originals either do not exist or are extremely rare and/or expensive.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 pm 
Post subject:

Footyfan wrote:

It may well be that specific items are 'pirates' but at 99p they are not exactly expensive and will fill a gap where originals either do not exist or are extremely rare and/or expensive.

People who buy this sort of tripe should give their head a wobble.

Its utter Rubbish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
CFCBristol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 pm 
Post subject:

Hi

Not exactly what this thread was highlighting, but along the same lines

I want to fill some of the gaps in my collection relating to the European Away programmes.

Is there a list of which are the official ones ?

As an example the 2005/06 Real Betis programme,
on ebay there are at least 3 :
Mundo Betico
Sin Miedo

Official Souvenir Match Magazine
- blue cover , but description states it is a pirate

How do you decide which programme to collect, I never been able to afford to travel to European away matches, so don't know what is actually sold at the ground.

Thanks from a newbie
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:44 pm 
Post subject:

Pirate issues. or whatever you want to call them, have become a huge issue for European away games, particularly in Eastern Europe.
When Leeds played Spartak Moscow in 1999 8 different pirate issues were sold.
I have always been quite happy to add 'pirate' programmes to my collection, other collectors will not touch them.
All down to personal choice at the end of the day.
Driver8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Apologies if my criticism appeared to be aimed at the ebay seller, who may not be the perpetrator.

I was aware that they also had similar issue for matches that did have an actual programme, albeit rare. This wasn't my main gripe

My main gripe is why does someone bid on pirate mock-up versions of programme-less games as in the two I mentioned. Perhaps if they were 'issued' at the time of the match you can accept someone's decision to buy a pirate version, but not something 'knocked up'' forty of fifty years after the match. I accept it is possible a bidder doesn't know that they are programme-less games.

In respect of rare European issues if you really want a copy of the front cover use a bit of initative, scour the internet and you can usually find a copy somewhere. Either keep this as a digital copy or if you really must have a hard copy print it yourself. It is entirely possible the bidders may only be after the match reports and not the programme covers, but I doubt it.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

Perhaps at 99p some might buy them for the match report the cover is by the way.
People collect stuff for many reasons, probably cost is major one, for the rare ones match cover and report I don't see anything wrong in that, a nice filler if you don't want to splash the cash.
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 am 
Post subject:

It's a bit like the person on eBay who sells the unofficial teamsheets from every behind closed doors game. If you really wanted it woudn't you just make your own but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose, particularly when there are most of the time an official programme or teamsheet available.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

There's a school of thought among some collectors that as long as a seller states that its 'not official' than that's ok and people can find a 'nice filler' for their collection.

Its not ok, and they are not a nice filler, to put it bluntly they're crap, do not defend the indefensible, if people didn't touch them there wouldn't be a market for them. If you are that desperate to have something from a game where nothing was produced then knock a team sheet out yourself as a personal record or better still just get over it and move on , by actually buying a modern day one, you're contributing to an ever growing problem.

There are now modern day computer A4 printed team sheets available for games in the 19th Century, complete with a little team kit and badge, does anyone really think 'awww, thats a nice filler, it will really enhance my collection.

I could do a team sheet from every game since 1897, and say there you go I've filled in my collection. Bloody pointless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:49 pm 
Post subject:

Looking at this sellers other items. The friendly away at Peterborough 61/2 i am convinced is an A4 photocopy of the original. A4 paper was invented in 1975. The original fetches £150 to £200. This was photocopied several years ago by a dealer and sold as a photocopy on A4 paper. The original is on paper a few inches longer than A4. Bidder beware or at least ask the seller for the dimensions of the single sheet.

Last edited by Posh1959 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Driver8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

If anyone is interested or was unaware official UEFA data can be found on their website:

Example
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2029474--atletico-vs-chelsea/matchinfo/?iv=true

Scroll to the bottom and all sorts of data can be downloaded / printed off !!

It is true these aren't the teamsheets that you sometimes see for sale with the advertiser's logos etc and were (ordinarily) available at matches but it may save you 99p + postage to have someone print it off for you!

The choice is yours.
Driver8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
I could do a team sheet from every game since 1897, and say there you go I've filled in my collection. Bloody pointless.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

I've always been peplexed by the issues for

Vitoria Setubal v Newcastle 1968/69
Ferencvaros v Leeds 1967/68

I'm pretty sure both issues are official but have often wondered why there were no known programmes for Liverpool's games at Ferencvaros in 67/68 and 70/71, and at Setubal in the 69/70 season. A dubious issue for Liverpool's game at Ferencvaros in the 74/75 season surfaced 30 years after the event and then a couple more 5 years later. After that they started to appear regularly at auction houses.Apparently they were for members of the Hajra Fradi Supporters Club and issued for their matches in the European competitions between 1974 and 1976. As yet nothing has surfaced for the Ferencvaros v Cardiff game in 74/75.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: