Football Programmes Centre

GAA Programmes, Gaelic Football and Hurling
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GAA Programmes, Gaelic Football and Hurling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:49 pm 
Post subject: GAA Programmes, Gaelic Football and Hurling

Not sure if there's much (or any!) interest in these, but I've a modest collection of GAA programmes for Ireland's semi-official national game hurling and the bastardised soccer-rugby hybrid Gaelic football!

Anyway, let's start with an old football final from 1955. Two traditional powerhouses Dublin v Kerry and a healthy crowd of just over 80,000 at Croke Park. Kerry won what is now regarded as a classic by 0-12 (no goals, 12 points) to 1-6 (1 goal and 6 points = 9 points). Neo-traditional Irish script and the Irish language is used on the cover but most of the content is (pragmatically) in English.
As usual on All-Ireland final day the curtain-raiser was the Minor (under-18.) final, between Dublin and Tipperary.

seand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:17 pm 
Post subject:

1975 All Ireland Hurling final. Kilkenny beat Galway 2-22 to 2-10 for a third title in 4 years and their 20th overall. 64,000 in attendance.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:48 pm 
Post subject:

pm sent
seand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

Back for a very occasional updated. Here's the programme and a "rare as hen's teeth" pirate from the famous 1960 All Ireland football final between Down and Kerry.

A particularly historic one as Down became the first team to take the trophy north of the border.

I think the attendance of near 88,000 was and is a record.

The formidable looking Archbishop Croke, after whom Croke Park is named, features on the cover of the official programme.

seand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:15 pm 
Post subject:

1959 National Football League match between Dublin and Galway. The league was and still is very much a secondary competition to the knockout All-Ireland championship, but league finals have attracted good crowds.

I had this down as the final but looking at it now it seems it wasn't! I'm going to have to investigate further.....

seand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:20 pm 
Post subject:

One of the favourite random items in my collection! An old Players (cigarettes) GAA pub advertising statuette.

1950s/1960s solid ceramic advertising statue which were widely displayed in pubs throughout the country. It looks like they were hand made with a mould and hand painted. Interestingly the two colours on the players represent different counties. In this case it's neighbours Roscommon (yellow footballer) and Galway (maroon hurler). Other county combinations were produced. I've seen Dublin/Louth, Cork/Kerry, Laois/Kildare and Kilkenny/Wexford. These items are hard to find these days and highly collectable.

garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:39 pm 
Post subject:

Looking for the GAA programmes at Wembley in 1974 & 1975 both involving Limerick. Very good prices paid.

Also interested in other Wembley games.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: