Football Programmes Centre

Programme Monthly-A Poll and a Debate
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programme Monthly-A Poll and a Debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:48 pm 
Post subject: Programme Monthly-A Poll and a Debate

The other day someone asked for and i can only use the word TRIBUTE to both Gordon & John that appeared in the latest edition of Programme Monthly to be shown on this Forum, so it got me to thinking, we know this Forum has 1000's members on "the books" but it is like everything else it works under the 80-20 principle, when just 20 %[if that on this occasion] ever contribute and the other 80% remain silent, SO i just wanted to see if we can produce a Poll of how many members on this Forum actually do either subscribe or buy an odd copy every so often or not at all and perhaps some views of a constructive nature either way.

The quality of the actual magazine is so greatly improved with colour and it is muted more colour may well follow one day, so perhaps we can hear what everyone has to say, good bad and indifferent!

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

I write an article about press photos every month and have now done 66, ie 5 and a half years worth. In return I get a few lines of free advertising and of course the article itself is good publicity, and I hope a talking point.

I buy the magazine probably once a year, give or take. I used to subscribe, going back to the mid 90's, but wasn't reading it so stopped that after about 10 years.

I fear the addition of full colour throughout will push the price right up. And personally I see nothing wrong with black & white, though as an occasional buyer, and dealing in black & white photos, I'm perhaps not the best person to ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:17 pm 
Post subject:

I discovered PM around issue 25, and have bought it every month since.

John Litster did a sterling job keeping it going for as long as he did but it had clearly worn him down by the end, and it was perhaps opportune for everyone concerned when it was taken over. It was going through the motions a few months before then I thought, and the editorials about the service of the Post Office would have been even more scathing now for sure had John still been writing! It was time for a change.

Since Paul Matz took it on it is fresher and more ‘newsy’ and better for it. I like the auction-ear and ebay sales features, as I only tend to look at ebay for items involving my own club. I genuinely enjoy Leslie’s column along with Pete’s too, but there are a few features I don’t look it. I feel a bit guilty given the hard work that has gone into them, but I’ve no interest in ‘All the Saints’ TBH as it has little relevance to collecting. It’s one of the few articles I skip. I like the book reviews too, but I have to say that I guess as they reviewed my love letter to Bootham Crescent around the time it was released.

As for the debate about colour, I think it is fine as it is; I don’t think it will attract any more readers, and might put a few off. The price point is fine as it is too. I'd be interested to know what the subscriber total is.

So, I'm a loyal reader, and I’ve always thought it really important to continue to subscribe, as other magazines have been and gone in the hobby. I usually read it within a few days of it arriving when it drops of the doormat well before the start of each month.

When all is said and done, it's only the cost of a pint every month but I'm not a big drinker anyway. Smile
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:18 pm 
Post subject:

I've never read it, always thought I am not into programme collecting enough to justify getting it. Wouldn't have a clue what is in it, always assumed it was largely advertising and people hopefully promoting their programme 'wants'.

I mainly collect badges and cards, and apart from one year as a member of the AFBC (which was bonkers) I tend to do my own thing, and use the internet for what I want
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

After i got the collecting bug again back at the start of lockdown, i bought the magazine out of interest initially but have bought it every month since!

Now committed to writing articles for future issues

Really enjoy it. Enjoy reading about other peoples collections such as Leslie's and Pete offers something a bit different with the photo's that i really like.

The Auction ear articles are always of interest and I enjoy looking through the for sale and wants lists (was even able to help someone with a programme they had been looking for)

Writing about my own collection means im getting more enjoyment out of that and im learning loads, not only about the history of my own club but also others.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:25 pm 
Post subject:

I read it irregularly, mainly because there is only so much "Sussex league", Hearts speciality, cornwall league etc, that I can read with interest.

My interest is someone else's absolute boredom turnoff, so it needs to be of more general interest for everyone. For example, Pete's column is what I would call general interest but is good reading. Book reviews, again relate to a wide audience.

More colour, neuh, just pushes up prices, but doesn't attract new punters.

Just my thoughts, but hey ho!!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:16 pm 
Post subject:

I subscribed from issue 1, maintained it for many years then just gradually drifted away from it. They're all still in a big box somewhere in here.

Couple of my articles were reproduced recently and Paul Matz sent me a complimentary copy of each of the relevant magazines - so, for all the money it is, I thought I'd resubscribe.

Did so last month. Glad I did.

I find all the articles interesting but especially the ones on recent non-league issues. Pete's photo ones are great for a comforting slice of nostalgia and Leslie's don't only highlight his amazing collection but get a thumbs-up from me for NOT focusing on ££££. Personally I'd rather read about the items than what was or wasn't paid on EBay or at auction.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:19 pm 
Post subject:

I have subscribed to it since April 2014 and will continue. Think it is better now than ever and pretty much read every word of it every month.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:24 pm 
Post subject:

I used to get it a few years ago but stopped as found it to be too light on interesting articles and too heavy on advertisements and didn't see much point paying for an offers catalogue with a few articles. Haven't bought it since Paul took over and seems like it has freshened up since then but although i have a passing interest in other clubs' items probably not enough to subscribe.....would rather spend it on another pint or my Backpass magazine subscription.

One thing however that could be considered is more of an online or e-output. Some adverts and wants list go on the website but maybe they could consider doing more. Either a regular electronic version with subscription or maybe the occassional compilation of few articles e.g from the last year at a special price.
henrytheheart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:53 pm 
Post subject:

I have subscribed for over 30 years now and always look forward to it popping through the letterbox. I enjoyed when John Litster produced it with his real interest in the consumer affairs aspect - people to avoid, how to deal with the Post Office; I miss those aspects but this forum has helped to cover now that PM has changed. Paul now pays more attention to ebay and auctions, reflecting the changing times and both are covered well. The use of colour has also helped add a bit of sparkle and it now has a more, but not too, polished look. I am a Hearts collector, but that does not put me off reading the whole spectrum of articles as I, like most programme collectors I suspect, am interested in the history of the game and programmes are a perfect reflection of this. Long may it continue.
London Lilywhite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:34 pm 
Post subject:

Starting subscribing around 2013 but stopped around 5 years later as I found that it was becoming less relevant for me personally, and I was just flicking through it like I might do to a catalogue that drops through the door. I think it got to the point where I was only really interested in the Auction-ear bit and the adverts which wasn't enough for me to justify subscription.

It's a good magazine with varied content but it's fighting for my attention against Groundtastic, WSC and the internet!
stfc831968

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

I used to buy the odd issue here and there off e-bay, but subscribed at the end of last year and have just done so again.

Advertising in the wants section helped me find a programme which i'd been searching for for ages.

Not every article interests me as much as others, but i still read them all as i find out things i never knew.
paulobee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:47 pm 
Post subject:

I used to subscribe to PM many years ago. I stopped the subscription due to kids, and no funds, some time around 15 years ago. Also, once I had nearly all the programmes I wanted too, it served its purpose. I saw no use in it as the internet took over the buying and selling of programmes and the knowledge of people was starting to be put on to the WWW.

I moved on to Cards as well and, in some way, Badges. Mostly via catalogues but, once again, the internet took over and catalogues disappeared. Just one card catalogue survived, FCCM, and even that has now ceased, for now.

PM offers nothing to what I can glean from the internet. I'm not interested in modern programmes anymore. Who has the best issue etc. I don't care!

A large number of Clubs has someone who has been good enough to upload their Clubs programmes, cards, badges, memorabilia etc and that offers a great archive. West Ham, Everton, Man U, Derby, Brentford, etc etc......

PM will go the same way soon. Internet based.......
tranmereandy1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:41 pm 
Post subject:

A great debate, on the back of the tribute to John & Gordon i decided to buy the Nov issue of PM via Paul’s eBay. I’ve been a subscriber on and off for many years both under John and Paul editorial but haven’t read a copy for about past 4 years.
I loved the size of the mag and they way it came in two parts which made it easy to read and carry on my train journeys to work, although after two days I had properly read both cover to cover. The colour print is a non issue for me, and wouldn’t inspire me to buy I love the quirkiness of the B&W -keeps it real and non corporate!
Some of the articles were interesting especially those based around other people collections, but some were to random for me!
For me the price point with the postage is an issue looking at around a fiver if you could compare this to say football weekends for £499 which I can pick up on my local newsagent for free on balance I would go for that. I know some club shops used to stock PM but doubt this is the case now.
Pre internet, PM was very very valuable source of info but most dealer lists on are online and even some of the classifieds are on the PM website so what would encourage me to buy?
I think the way of the world is multi channel as the shops have found out! This doesn’t necessarily mean pushing everything to website, maybe events too For instance Ienjoyed seeing John at Programme Fairs and chatting to him etc.
I’m looking forward to seeing this months issue come though the door and who knows it may sway me to subscribe again.
facup1939

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:13 pm 
Post subject: Programme Monthly

I think I must have purchased every issue over the years.

I obtained the first few issues at programme fairs. I don't remember when I started subscribing but it was probably after a couple of years or so. I have been a subscriber ever since.

Yes, some of the articles are a bit niche, but I am friends with one of the contributors of one of the niche articles, and I know how much care he takes in his research to make it interesting and accurate.

The content has certainly changed over the years, far less adverts, for obvious reason. I always enjoy the Continental Tour, and recently the Programme Editor interview.

The debate around this is interesting. In one thread we have people expressing disappointment over some clubs only issuing online programmes rather than printed ones available at the turnstile, and yet on this thread, we have some (not necessarily the same) people saying they have no need for the publication as they get all of their information online.

In the years to come, will peoples collections consist of PDF files saved in the cloud?
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

Fans want hard copy programmes to continue because that is what has been collected for over 100 years

This is a magazine about the hobby, as far as I'm aware people don't collect this magazine, some might be happy to have it in an online format
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

I was a subscriber off and on since 1985.

A number of years ago, I got involved in helping with the Scottish awards, and got the non-league version off the ground before passing both onto others, I wrote irregularly about my trips with Scotland and the programmes produced for full and U21 internationsals.

I stopped contributing about two/three years ago and subscribing shortly afterwards.

I just felt that my articles weren't really appreciated by those running the magazine. Always seemed to be requests for content but little in the way of thanks, plus I still had to subscribe to see the fruits of my labour. So I stopped. I then didn't renew my subscription as I felt the magazine was just going through the motions, I was barely reading it as very little of the content interested me. I received a 3 month subscription earlier this year as a present and it hadn't changed.

Personally, I think the need for a dedicated programme magazine has diminished. The monthly attraction of seeing what was listed in Market Place has gone, and some time ago at that. The A5 format is tired and old school. There is little in the way of cutting editorial comment (something Mr.Litster was famous for), very little worthwhile current news.

Perhaps combining the magazine with an existing football history mag (Backpass is one that springs to mind) would help it appeal to a broader readership. Easier said than done of course but just my thoughts.
CannonCJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:30 am 
Post subject:

I have lifted this from another thread, just in case anyone is interested?

"The Hythe Town FC Club Shop has been donated the following issues which all appear to be in VGC.
Nos. 213, 216, 325, 338, 355, 360, 374 to 409, 411, 413 & 415 to 418.
Would anybody like some or all of them, or know somebody who would? No charge apart from 2nd class p&p......."
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:17 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
I was a subscriber off and on since 1985.

A number of years ago, I got involved in helping with the Scottish awards, and got the non-league version off the ground before passing both onto others, I wrote irregularly about my trips with Scotland and the programmes produced for full and U21 internationsals.

I stopped contributing about two/three years ago and subscribing shortly afterwards.

I just felt that my articles weren't really appreciated by those running the magazine. Always seemed to be requests for content but little in the way of thanks, plus I still had to subscribe to see the fruits of my labour. So I stopped. I then didn't renew my subscription as I felt the magazine was just going through the motions, I was barely reading it as very little of the content interested me. I received a 3 month subscription earlier this year as a present and it hadn't changed.

Personally, I think the need for a dedicated programme magazine has diminished. The monthly attraction of seeing what was listed in Market Place has gone, and some time ago at that. The A5 format is tired and old school. There is little in the way of cutting editorial comment (something Mr.Litster was famous for), very little worthwhile current news.

Perhaps combining the magazine with an existing football history mag (Backpass is one that springs to mind) would help it appeal to a broader readership. Easier said than done of course but just my thoughts.

Interesting point raised about the lack of an editorial in PM and I have to say I agree.

For all John Lister's tirades about the Royal Mail and the perceived damage ebay was doing to the hobby (moreover the income PM receivedfrom the lineage ads was drying up I suspect), it was always well searched, informative, and entertaining. It was always the first thing I read too. Without the postal service, the hobby would grind to a halt.

Good point too about Backpass, which is certainly a more collectable magazine than PM is. I have a copy of a glossy magazine 'The Football Collector', and remember being amazed how far the hobby had come when I saw it in WHS more than 20 years ago. It was a short-lived one-issue appearance, but collecting generally needs that sort of mainstream exposure even if print is dying we're told.

I see that there is a one page article by Tony Incenzo in today's Non-League Paper extolling the virtues of the printed programme, to remind me that he was one of the early contributors to PM.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:17 pm 
Post subject:

I stopped subscribing about 10 years ago, apart from anything the quality of items in Market Place was declining and I had started to thin out my collection of old magazines

I've bought it occasionally since then (mostly at Programme fairs), I know Chris Oakley from my England days so enjoy catching up with his travels, Leslie shows some interesting stuff (as does Pete) but I struggle with the rest

Having read this thread though I'll dip my toe in for another subscription and see how often I read it..
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: