Football Programmes Centre

Len Llewellyn RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Len Llewellyn RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:05 am 
Post subject: Len Llewellyn RIP

From nonleaguematers.co.uk
Len Llewellyn who was involved in the original Ilford and subsequently Leytonstone/Ilford and Dagenham & Redbridge died on 15th May. He was also a printer and producer of programmes and The Non League Bureau. A real stalwart in the administrative world of London non league football.

I remember Len from the early days of programme fairs in and around London. When he lost his beloved Ilford FC and was still producing the programme he made the cover read Ilford & Leytonstone(must try & find example and show here)
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:03 pm 
Post subject:

I met Len for the first time when Ilford visited Maidenhead in 1977. Before the clubs merged Ilford were playing at Leytonstone's very well appointed Granleigh Road ground and Len ran a programme hut there. Either the Isthmian League or, most likely, the FA made them change the name from Ilford & Leytonstone to Leytonstone/Ilford.

I expect Len would have had a huge collection of programmes.
New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:28 pm 
Post subject:

Only just heard that Len Lewellyn died in May. I first met Len at a programme fair at Leytonstone in 1977. I say met, his stall was unoccupied. I noticed a few pre-war Leyton programme and purchased them. A bit later Len found out someone was interested and wandered round and found me. He told how an Ilford player had just moved into a new home and in the loft were a lot of old Leyton programmes and was I interested. He offered me the first lot in 1977 and the last ones in 2017 - forty years. Prices started at £2.50 for First Team and £1 for Reserves. Over the years he passed on well over a hundred.
We met quite regularly especially when Waltham Forest were ground sharing with Ilford at Cricklefields. By then his eyesight was not good.
RIP mate.
There's a nice obituary on the Essex Senior league website.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: