Football Programmes Centre

New project - Peter Thompson
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New project - Peter Thompson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:32 pm 
Post subject: New project - Peter Thompson

Every so often I start a new project where I can put together a small themed collection of programmes without spending a fortune. In the past I have done things like try to get a complete set of Scottish Cup programmes for a season - not as easy as you would think.

My latest is to put together a collection of items linked to the ex Preston, Liverpool, Bolton and England player Peter Thompson. I don’t want to restrict it to programmes.

Peter was born in my home city, Carlisle. When he left school he was wanted by 17 different clubs. He chose Preston. Bill Shankly saw him play in 1962 and became determined to sign him for Liverpool where he played out most of his career. He is one of two great players to be born in Carlisle over the past years and it was a toss up between him and the other, Kevin Beattie, as to who to “collect”. Bobby Robson said Beattie was the best England player he had seen.

Anyway back to Peter Thompson. I haven’t collected one particular player before and would welcome some views on what to collect. I don’t want a full set of programmes and have started looking for press photos, trade cards and programmes from milestone matches.

What other things should I be looking for and what is likely to be available at reasonable cost?
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

I think TheDoog10 can help you on that as his focus is on all things Derek Dougan.

However some suggestions would be magazine pictures, newspaper articles and any badges featuring your man.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

Hi

Other than Ebay, there's only one place to look for press photos!

I have 3 of Peter, 2 at Liverpool, one at Preston in his early days.

Please visit my website, select the 2 clubs and his surname. Bear in mind there are other Thompsons at both clubs so you will also find Phil at Liverpool and Tommy at PNE!

No obligation at all but if you are interested, very happy to discuss it so send me a PM or email please.

Good luck & thanks in anticipation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:29 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
I think TheDoog10 can help you on that as his focus is on all things Derek Dougan.

However some suggestions would be magazine pictures, newspaper articles and any badges featuring your man.

My entire collection revolves around the late Derek Dougan I have been collecting memorabilia of him since early 60s.
Press cuttings, match reports, photos, scrapbooks but mainly programmes from his six Football League clubs plus None League Kettering Town, Northern Ireland Internationald and Testimonial /Benafit games.. Don't think there is many I don't have in my collection.
Old Football Pinks newspapers are good, "old" Goal, Shoot, Jimmy Hill Football Weekley + more.
I first saw Peter play for Preston in a F. A. Cup fourth round second replay v Liverpool at Old Trafford early 60s on a snow coverd pitch Preston won 1-0 and Perer scored the winning goal... Liverpool signed him soon 'after.??
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 am 
Post subject:

Thanks everyone. That has given me a few ideas. Peter Thompson died in 2018 and his obituaries were very good and provide some interesting information, such as the fact that he was in the same jewelry shop as Bobby Moore when Bobby was accused of theft prior to the 1970 World Cup.

Doog, how do you catalogue your stuff? It takes me all of my time to keep a database of programmes, and I wouldn’t know how to start with photos, cuttings etc

Pete - you have a small order.

Apparently it was the performances in the 1962 cup ties that impressed Bill Shankly to pay £37,000 for him (a lot of money then and not just a couple of days pay as it is now)
overlap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:28 am 
Post subject:

Here is a press photo I have of Peter relaxing in his hotel in Amsterdam in December 1966 the day before Liverpool were hammered 5-1 by Ajax in the European Cup.
Please PM if interested, and good luck with the project.

Thedoog10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:18 am 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
Here is a press photo I have of Peter relaxing in his hotel in Amsterdam in December 1966 the day before Liverpool were hammered 5-1 by Ajax in the European Cup.
Please PM if interested, and good luck with the project.

Its all in me head ?, nearly everything his in plastic folders taken me a long time but due to lo k down nearly all sorted now.
Good luck we yours mine has been a labour of love.
overlap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:49 am 
Post subject:

The Doog with Monty the Chimp, 1973 Very Happy

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Thanks everyone. That has given me a few ideas. Peter Thompson died in 2018 and his obituaries were very good and provide some interesting information, such as the fact that he was in the same jewelry shop as Bobby Moore when Bobby was accused of theft prior to the 1970 World Cup.

Doog, how do you catalogue your stuff? It takes me all of my time to keep a database of programmes, and I wouldn’t know how to start with photos, cuttings etc

Pete - you have a small order.

Apparently it was the performances in the 1962 cup ties that impressed Bill Shankly to pay £37,000 for him (a lot of money then and not just a couple of days pay as it is now)

Thank you, no order is too small! Anyway, 3 nice photos are yours.

Cheers and good luck with your project. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
overlap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:59 am 
Post subject:

Hello Les, Sent you a PM regarding Peter Thompson
Crusader66

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

If anyone has a Peter Thompson testimonial ticket I need one for my collection. All help much appreciated.
halsteadiron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

My 'one player' collection is for Johnny Dick who played for Maryhill, Aberdeen, Crittall Athletic, West Ham Utd, Brentford and Gravesend & Northfleet
He played for 'my' team Crittall Athletic (Braintree Town) back in the early 50s and my interest began many years ago when I was given a signed photo of him
I now collect all programmes for matches in which he played (I log all the matches that I know about on a large spread sheet with details of results, attendances, goals scored and whether I have the programme) along with press photos, cigarette & trade cards, magazine articles & newspaper cuttings etc
The most difficult area that I find is tracking all the matches that he played in for the various reserve teams along with representative matches etc.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: