Football Programmes Centre

Alan Hodgkinson's programme collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alan Hodgkinson's programme collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:42 am 
Post subject: Alan Hodgkinson's programme collection

I bought a huge bundle of press photos today and one of them I love and thought it might appeal to some of you guys too.

Alan Hodgkinson, the Sheffield United keeper, kept a programme of every match he played in, and at the time of the photo (1969) he had 600. Here he is surrounded by them. Just like you and me (apart from the fact that most of us haven't played 600 league games!).

Contact me if you'd like to acquire it, please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant that Peter i often wonder had former players collected these and kept scrapbooks etc.
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:05 pm 
Post subject:

Blimey!!! I seem to remember that very same photo printed in one of the Football Reviews of the time or in some football book.
atletico

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

Tommy Johnson (Notts County, Aston Villa) also collected a programme from every game he played.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

That's interesting, I wonder how many other ex-pros (or amateurs, come to that) collected a programme?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

I was once given a large number of programmes by Gary Bell who played for Cardiffin the 70s. I don't think it was anywhere near every game he played in, but it was a large number of programmes.

More exciting however were all the things like players membership cards, away programmes for Australian tours and European games and also a fantastic poster from when Cardiff played an away leg against Real Madrid.

Gary Bell on Wikipedia
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:43 pm 
Post subject:

I wonder if any off the current footballers do this.

They're probably more interested in opponents shirts but it's a nice thought

Every matchday, in the build up to the game, when the players have a walk out onto the pitch, one player at United has always got his head in the programme.

Jack O'Connell, is a legend with United's CBF outfit.

Take a bow, we salute you Bow
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

Derek Parker (West Ham 1944 to 1957) kept a programme from every game he played in - I was lucky enough to be able to buy some of these from his son who lives in Colchester. As well as 200 first team games he played another 250+ games for the reserves so this allowed me to complete my post war collection of Combination programmes.

His son told me that he didn't really collect programmes he just liked to see his name in print Smile
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Jim McCalliog bought some Wolves programmes from me that he played in at a programme fair about a year ago, he came to my stall to ask me to promote an old firm charity event and I made some sales out of it, his wife was more keen than he was.
beaudog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:52 am 
Post subject: ALAN hODKINSON'S PROGRAMME COLLECTION

Players collect programmes for every match they played but also referees. a few years ago, I was offered the programme collection of Don Shaw , a football league referee. We could not agree a price and so I did not buy the collection. With the state of programme sales from later years being what they are, in hindsight I was so pleased I did not make a purchase.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: