Football Programmes Centre

VAR.......Fan or Not
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
VAR.......Fan or Not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:11 am 
Post subject: VAR.......Fan or Not

I like to throw my hat into the ring and vote FOR !!!! Nod Nod

Of course lots of things need to be ironed out, but the correct decision is obtained..........eventually.

No more arguing that the top teams always get a decision in their favour

It works for rugby, cricket, tennis.......It could be the future ?????

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Westbourne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 am 
Post subject:

VAR seemed to favour Liverpool all the VAR action was against West Brom. If Liverpool had scored the disallowed goal the the ref would not have called for VAR and the goalie pushed the Albion Forward which was a blatant penalty.. BT Sport was all Liverpool bias as was the commentary. And the after match comments. The guest ref was also from Liverpool. All i can say bit was very one sided bias and I can imagine half of Asia crying last night. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
PhilWBA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:29 pm 
Post subject:

Not to mention the VAR ref was Andre Marriner, the villa fan we've got previous with from a few years ago.

System could work fine but last night was farcical and not a good advertisement for it.

Typical of the media as well, all how poor Liverpool were, how about a bit of credit for us once in a while

websites - www.footballstickershop.com
www.footballcardsworld.com
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:44 pm 
Post subject: Re: VAR.......Fan or Not

pompeypete wrote:
I like to throw my hat into the ring and vote FOR !!!! Nod Nod

Of course lots of things need to be ironed out, but the correct decision is obtained..........eventually.

No more arguing that the top teams always get a decision in their favour

It works for rugby, cricket, tennis.......It could be the future ?????

Totally agree Pete - the future.

It will take time to get the finer parts correct (and possibly longer to get them all agreed) but it is the way forward for the game. I must admit that it was still not easy to work out the right answers on a couple of decisions yesterday - possibly because of our smaller screen at home!
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:06 pm 
Post subject:

I'd like the paying fans to be trusted to behave, and let the fans in the stadium see the replay of the controversial incidents as well

But that will never happen

Don't see why it shouldn't if in theory the correct decision is the outcome
sellsell39

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm 
Post subject:

A couple of questions regarding VAR if I may please (especially after yesterday).

Q1. who decides which matches have VAR and which do not ?
Is it just FA cup matches or is it random or is it Premier League or is it Championship - I do not know.
Anfield had it in operation yesterday for Liverpool vs West Brom as you all know, but Meadow Lane did not for Notts County vs Swansea, where a goal was scored which was worthy of a VAR referral I would have thought.

Is it a level playing field to all FA Cup competitors if VAR is used at some matches and not others ?

If VAR is used - then it needs to be shown inside the stadium on the big screen for all to see (just like Six Nations Rugby), and the ref needs to be clearly heard when talking to the VAR assistant upstairs in the booth - surely. This would eliminate players from surrounding the referee on the pitch.

Yes the correct decisions were reached at Anfield - but it was unsatisfactory for most inside the stadium.
Mtbhull

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:46 pm 

Yet another thing that will be for armchair fans. Forget the fans who still actually bother to go, who just see a disjointed match where we are not to be trusted with seeing the working out - just the result, which may well be subjective.
Football should be a fast moving contact and action sport - the way VAR has been introduced is totally against the whole spirit of the game. Half the fun is disagreeing with the ref and shouting abuse at him and the lino's and their eyesight or parentage. If you don't like that, then football isn't for you and if they change and sanitize it any more, then it isn't for me.
seand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 am 
Post subject: Re: VAR.......Fan or Not

Mtbhull wrote:
Yet another thing that will be for armchair fans. Forget the fans who still actually bother to go, who just see a disjointed match where we are not to be trusted with seeing the working out - just the result, which may well be subjective.
Football should be a fast moving contact and action sport - the way VAR has been introduced is totally against the whole spirit of the game. Half the fun is disagreeing with the ref and shouting abuse at him and the lino's and their eyesight or parentage. If you don't like that, then football isn't for you and if they change and sanitize it any more, then it isn't for me.

100% agree with this. It's completely against the spirit of the game. The glory of football is its flow and momentum, which was ripped apart on Saturday. Even if it was done quickly and efficiently you're taking away the moment of the goal. Now instead of that sheer joy of YES!We've scored you've got yes we've probably scored we'll know in a minute.
Some calls above for big screen coverage. .... there's no big screen at Anfield I think. There's certainly none at Rodney Parade or Gigg Lane or Cappielow
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:33 pm 
Post subject:

For, in time it will be more effective and not slow the match down like it does now. I think another official with a tv screen to make the decision rather than the ref would work better.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 pm 

I have really struggled with this one and I'm still split between for and against.

Obviously it is the future, but it cannot be allowed to sanitise the game completely, which has got on ok for over 150 years without it.

The farcical situation on Saturday will improve, but only as the officials get used to it, and the fans in the ground have to be made aware of what exactly is going on.

Ultimately we all want the correct decisions to be made, but it is not out of the question that any game could throw up half a dozen incidents that need reviewing and that is too much disruption to the flow of the game. It's different in cricket and rugby where the game is much slower and delays have less impact.

Potentially, a referee could find something wrong with a huge percentage of goals after looking at it in slow motion and cover his back by making the PC decision instead of the common sense one.

Maybe taking "baby steps" is the answer and only penalty incidents should be reviewed if the managers request it to start with?
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

I'm 101% against. More, if mathematically possible.

Pandora's Box.

Once it's opened - and it has been now - we can't go back.

Wait till the first controversial application. Then the second, the third etc.

This isn't like the NFL where it's a series of set plays and the application is conducive....."our" football is a fast-moving constant environment where, over a season, decisions tend to even themselves out.

Beware. It's only a matter of time before this particular innovation becomes more trouble than it's worth.

Goal-line technology - did the ball cross the line - that's as far as we should go.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

VAR wont do anything to stop a "Leg Breaker" as suffered by Sane . . . . Only a decent Ref......... trouble is although they are all supposed to be Full Time Pro's . . . (I think ) most officials are incompetent
Davee59

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

roughyedz wrote:
VAR wont do anything to stop a "Leg Breaker" as suffered by Sane . . . . Only a decent Ref......... trouble is although they are all supposed to be Full Time Pro's . . . (I think ) most officials are incompetent

I have to agree that the poor standard of referreing is my biggest concern with VAR. If a referee sees a possible penalty incident, he will more than likely blow up for it in the knowledge that he can correct the decision using VAR. I think that referees will become lazy and lose some of their sharpness.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

Davee59 wrote:
roughyedz wrote:

I have to agree that the poor standard of referreing is my biggest concern with VAR. If a referee sees a possible penalty incident, he will more than likely blow up for it in the knowledge that he can correct the decision using VAR. I think that referees will become lazy and lose some of their sharpness.

Shake Sharpness .. your Avin a laugh
albion99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm 
Post subject: Its a 10 from me!

VAR about time to!
Football should be a leader not a follower!
Who knows, this may encourage referees and their assistants to see some of what is actually going on in penalty area's?
It's the fans who have/are being robbed week in week out by a mixture of deplorable actions on the field of play, and the inability of the officials to intervene and punish the miscreants.
Finally a pet moan of mine, why do we have to watch a televised match that is so heavily biased in terms of so called expertise.
I do not dislike Liverpool, but the presence of their ex players as so called experts is /has become a joke.
Have someone supporting the match commentator by all means, but an air of neutrality would not go amiss.
Would love to see the television companies have the bottle to use fans not ex players for their views on how games are going.
But that of course would mean less jobs for the boys, or sorry those already quite wealthy boys!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: