Football Programmes Centre

Ry Cooder gig at the phil.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ry Cooder gig at the phil.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:48 pm 
Post subject: Ry Cooder gig at the phil.

Have just got back from the Ry Cooder gig at the Liverpool Phil,awsome ,front row seats,no progs on sale though.Set me a wandering what is the best gig you have ever been to..Mine ....Sha Na Na at the old Liverpool stadium years ago.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:02 am 
Post subject:

Easy one this.
Queen's final live show at knebworth.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:40 am 
Post subject: gigs

Saw Sha Na Na at the BaRdney festival in 1972, near Lincoln. They were one of three groups who headlined on the Bank Holiday Monday night, the others being Joe Cocker and the Grease Band, and the Beach Boys. What a night. If you're a Cooder fan, how about this for the Friday night of the same fest? Rory Gallagher and B.B.King jamming together on stage for about 3 hours. Never seen anything like it, before or since.
Was lucky during my formative years to see many groups at the Cleethorpes Winter Gardens, especially 1970-77. Groups included:-
Elton John; Queen; Family; Status Quo; SAHB; Edgar Broughton Band; Wishbone Ash; Judas Priest; Sex Pistols / Clash onthe Anarchy Tour; Stranglers; Damned; 999;Sparks; Free; Mungo Jerry; Black Sabbath; and many dozens of others. Have also seen at other gigs/festivals :-
Pink Floyd; Led Zeppelin; Stones; The Who; Lynnerd Skynnerd (is that spelt right?) Ramones; Faces; Humble Pie; Roxy Music; Canned Heat; New York Dolls; Chuck Berry; Alice Cooper;
Best live band at a festival - the Alabama Three at the Wickerman festival last year (going there again in 2 weeks time to see the Zutons, Magic Numbers, Idlewild, Amphetemeanies, etc)
Best live band at a gig - Jools Holland and his band at the SECC "Armadillo" Glasgow, about 8 years back.
Phil, if you access your BBC Iplayer facility on the computer, there's a programme called guitar heroes that's been playing on BBC3. The other night there was a programme called Yet more guitar heroes (Thursday I think) that had Ry Cooder, circa 1973, on it. Excellent.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:08 pm 
Post subject: Ry Cooder gig.

What a list man!. Family were one of my fav bands loved Roger Chapman saw thes loads of times,also Rory Gallager,Thing that struck me about the Ry Cooder gig last night could not get over the size of his hands thay were huge (ala Brad Freadle). missed out The Ozark Mountain Daredivals from my fav bands ,did you ever catch these.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:23 pm 
Post subject: gigs

Re Family, when they split up Chapman and Whitney put together their own band called the Chapman Whitney Streetwalkers who were one of the most original bands I saw in the early - mid 1970's, also at Cleethorpes Winter Gradens.
Thursday night used to be th gig night, probably a decent band there about every 3 or 4 weeks. If you look at tours from around that date, decent bands used to start off their tours at smaller places like Cleethorpes, Southport, etc to end up at some of the larger venues such as the Roundhouse in London, De Montfort Hall in Leicester, etc.
When I was in the first year of my apprenticeship, 1970/1 I was matey with the Student Union Social officer, and he had the knack of getting up and coming bands for the College dances, and I saw Wishbone Ash, Stray (they used to have their drum filled with salt petre and it exploded at the end of the gig with loads of storbes going as well) Mogul Thrash and Maggie Bell and Stone the Crows in one dance. 50 pence entrance fee. Not bad, eh?
Also remember one dance, and you sued to get free tickets if you could sell so many (this would be about 1975) and we just couldn't flog any tickets for this particular dance, but we were still given freebies just to the band had someone in the audience. They were absolutley shite, playing in front of less than 30 folk. Wonder whatever happened to the Bay City Rollers?
My brother, who's 4 years older than me, was in the Merchant Navy. He jumped ship in the States with 3 others when in port and hitchhiked "down to Jasper's farm" to attend Woodstock. Was unfortunately arrested and deported before reaching there. It's still on his passport, and he's obviously never been back.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: