Football Programmes Centre

Team Changes and Scorers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Team Changes and Scorers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:04 pm 
Post subject: Team Changes and Scorers

I was just wondering, after a previous topic on programme restoration, what peoples attitudes are towards team changes etc on programmes.
Personally, I dont have a problem with these if they are done neatly, I think it adds a bit of character to a programme, and as I collect from interest and not as an investment, it helps me get programmes I want at a cheaper cost.
What are other collecters thoughts on this?

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
WestHamRob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:39 pm 
Post subject:

I don't mind team changes on football programmes. Like you said its adds a bit of character.

I have one programme with someones address on it!
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

I hate any writing on programmes , but the older and rare the programme is i don't think it matters as any copy is better than none. In fact i have many older copies with pencil team changes but never rub them out. The worst thing of all i think is Punch Holes. I would never buy a punch holed programme.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:42 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
I hate any writing on programmes , but the older and rare the programme is i don't think it matters as any copy is better than none. In fact i have many older copies with pencil team changes but never rub them out. The worst thing of all i think is Punch Holes. I would never buy a punch holed programme.
Bought a KETTERING 76 away at Wimboldon had a double wammie in it pencil team/changes gon over in biro ,senseless.
burnley_collector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:49 pm 
Post subject:

When I first started collecting I didn't mind team changes or scores written on the programme, but when I got to the stage when I knew adding new programmes to my collection wasn't going to happen as often, I started to list programmes that I had that did have team changes or scores on them and gradually replaced those with 'clean copies'.

A big no-no for me is programmes with punched holes - you might as well tear it in half!

I agree that having team changes and scores on the programmes gives it more character, but I've tended to cut out a newspaper write-up of the games and place it into the middle of the programme.
burnley_collector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:53 pm 
Post subject:

I have one programme - Burnley v Chelsea from the 60/61 season, where Burnley had an important European game a few days later.

Bear in mind this is well before the days of squads and 'resting' key players - Burnley asked the football league for permission to play reserves. The football league turned down their request.

The programme was printed with the usual first-team names in the line-up. When the teams ran out on the day, Burnley had defied the football league and played 10 reserve players instead!

The natural thing to do would be to make team changes on the programme, but I'm very lucky to have a copy with no team changes on it.

I've seen loads of copies of the programme with team changes.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:05 pm 
Post subject: Progs with writing.

Can become a vicious circle mate,one of the hardest progs i have had in obtaining in my collection has been Blackburn v Leeds 59/60 ,searched high and low for this about four years finaly obtained through this great site but prog has T/Cs apart from that it is in mint con did cost me £50+ would have preferd without T/Cs but?... ,same prog sold on ebay last week in near mint con for £75+ ,but pleased with mine.(dont think there is any way of removeing biro T/Cs is there?).
arsenal288

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:23 pm 
Post subject: removing t/cs

you can remove t/c as long as they are on a white backgroung.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:26 pm 
Post subject: Re: removing t/cs

arsenal288 wrote:
you can remove t/c as long as they are on a white backgroung.
How.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:30 pm 
Post subject: how

Eammon Fitzmaurice - advertises programme restoration in Programme Monthly.
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:13 pm 
Post subject:

I only have one with punched holes, but I was given that, and if you see a derry city v wolves from the texaco cup for less than £100 snap it up!!! needless to say im happy with a copy with punched holes for now

Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:36 pm 
Post subject: Queries about football progs.

Wulfrunian wrote:
I only have one with punched holes, but I was given that, and if you see a derry city v wolves from the texaco cup for less than £100 snap it up!!! needless to say im happy with a copy with punched holes for now
Interesting this mate have said prog .i sent off to the Derry ground at the time and obtained this prog how much is it worth.
rokerprogz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:

I was going to reply to this thread but you've saved me the job!

What Wullie said.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:24 pm 
Post subject:

When I was a nipper I used to make the changes on the programme myself. As I got a bit older (and had to miss a lot of games being away) I acquired new ones - and the difference is obvious - to the point where I replaced all the older ones with scribble and teamchanges and attendances and half-time scores and so on...

Then I was fortunate enough to get a lot of teamsheets (from the posh seats, when they were particularly rare) ... and so who would write in them now. With the internet there's instant access to historic line-ups and the programmes themselves have a lot more detail on line-ups than they generally did back in the old days.

WRT old editions I guess you have to take what you can - ideally it'll be in decent order (or thereabouts, nothing missing etc.) but beggars can't be choosers really.
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 am 
Post subject:

Phil, Im not an absolute expert in these matters, but if it was mine, and i assume it is in almost perfect nick, i wouldn't let it go for less than £175, but to be honest I think in the right place you could get £250 - £300. I have heard dealers talking of it in that kind of price range.
Although if you were thinking of offering it me, on second thoughts its very very common, and only worth about 50p to £1 !!!!!!!

Flackwell Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:37 am 
Post subject:

I have several Wycombe programmes with team changes, but like Burnley_collector, I replace these with clean copies if and when I find them.
corkkoppite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:26 pm 
Post subject:

What about programmes signed on the front by players of the game? I have a 1977 European cup final programme signed by Jimmy Case, Tommy Smith ,Joey Jones and Ian Callaghan. As they played in the match would this lessen the value or increase it?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:52 pm 
Post subject: changes

It all depends on who wants to buy it, and why they want to buy it.

There are so many people involved in obtaining signatures on sporting memorabilia, that they are, quite frankly, becoming ubiquitous. Second downfall, how do you guarantee their provenance? If there's a photo of them signing the programme, that's all very well, but it's stage managed, and not contemprorary. If it's not contemporary, it's only been done as a commercial exercise, which really defeats the object?

Have always steered clear of autographed programmes, especially footballs, as I know what goes on in a club shop with autographed items. This is first hand experience, not folklore!
Flackwell Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:15 pm 
Post subject:

It should'nt matter one bit who wants to buy it or why they want to buy it, it either increases the value or it does'nt.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 pm 
Post subject: Queries about football programmes.

Wulfrunian wrote:
Phil, Im not an absolute expert in these matters, but if it was mine, and i assume it is in almost perfect nick, i wouldn't let it go for less than £175, but to be honest I think in the right place you could get £250 - £300. I have heard dealers talking of it in that kind of price range.
Although if you were thinking of offering it me, on second thoughts its very very common, and only worth about 50p to £1 !!!!!!!
Thats great news Wulf.As far has i know prog is in mint condition , was an avid collector of Wolves progs from this time 1967-75 (The Derek Dougan era). i used to write of for away progs in plenty of time for the fixture ( prob on the Monday of the following week) , and as far as i can recollect was seldom disappointed.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: