Football Programmes Centre

My Chelsea Site
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My Chelsea Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dellboye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:55 pm 
Post subject: My Chelsea Site

You may remember on the old site that I ran a "list your wants" site but I have decided to turn it into a site showing my chelsea programme collection. I will update the photos to reflect my current collection soon.
www.freewebs.com/dellboye
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dellboye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:45 pm 
Post subject:

I have now added pictures from my early fifties programmes.
http://www.freewebs.com/dellboye/chelsea195060.htm
Dellboye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:54 am 
Post subject:

Does anyone know how to get a site on google as i have added my url onto google but it still doesnt come up. Also I have read to get your site higher in google listings you need to meet a certain set of criteria which i am not sure of.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:28 am 
Post subject:

Dellboye,

Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a very complex science. In brief though you get to the top of the listings if Google finds your site of use to Googles "customers".

The two main things you need to know;

1. Google believes that if a lot of other websites which are related to your industry (so ones programme/football related - not just general link farms which you will find), then your website must be quite important. Therefore your more likely to be listed higher. The anchor text (the text of the link that links to your site) is obviously very important too, so you would want people linking to you with things like "Chelsea Football Programmes" for example. The more incoming links you get the better! Not only does Google then think your site is important, but you will also get some traffic from people who view your links. Add a links page to your site and link to other programme websites (hint Wink) chelsea specific websites and general football websites. Then email all the sites, point out the link and ask for a reciprocal link.

2. Google cant view images and can just view text. Use full advantage of your title tags and also the meta description and keyword tags. Also make good use of header tags (<h1> etc) to describe each page. If i take http://www.freewebs.com/dellboye/chelsea198090.htm as an example - take all the pictures out and your left with next to no content. Dont just show the programmes, you need to write about them too as otherwise Google wont have a clue whats on your site. For example, under the first season, use a H1 tag to say Chelsea Football Programmes - 1980/81 season. Then in normal text write for example, "For the 80/81 season a new section was introduced to the match day programme etc...".

Also another point, your site IS listed on Google , if you go there and do site:http://www.freewebs.com/dellboye then you will see the listed pages. However the majority of them seem to have been deleted as you no longer seperate the homes/aways pages im guessing so you have renamed your pages - try to avoid doing this in future as any links you build up will then become useless.

Theres looooads more you can learn and its an science to know everything and noone ever will as Google has its secrets and is always evolving!

Good luch though!!
Dellboye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:49 pm 
Post subject:

Craig wrote:
Dellboye,

Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a very complex science. In brief though you get to the top of the listings if Google finds your site of use to Googles "customers".

The two main things you need to know;

1. Google believes that if a lot of other websites which are related to your industry (so ones programme/football related - not just general link farms which you will find), then your website must be quite important. Therefore your more likely to be listed higher. The anchor text (the text of the link that links to your site) is obviously very important too, so you would want people linking to you with things like "Chelsea Football Programmes" for example. The more incoming links you get the better! Not only does Google then think your site is important, but you will also get some traffic from people who view your links. Add a links page to your site and link to other programme websites (hint Wink) chelsea specific websites and general football websites. Then email all the sites, point out the link and ask for a reciprocal link.

2. Google cant view images and can just view text. Use full advantage of your title tags and also the meta description and keyword tags. Also make good use of header tags (<h1> etc) to describe each page. If i take http://www.freewebs.com/dellboye/chelsea198090.htm as an example - take all the pictures out and your left with next to no content. Dont just show the programmes, you need to write about them too as otherwise Google wont have a clue whats on your site. For example, under the first season, use a H1 tag to say Chelsea Football Programmes - 1980/81 season. Then in normal text write for example, "For the 80/81 season a new section was introduced to the match day programme etc...".

Also another point, your site IS listed on Google , if you go there and do site:http://www.freewebs.com/dellboye then you will see the listed pages. However the majority of them seem to have been deleted as you no longer seperate the homes/aways pages im guessing so you have renamed your pages - try to avoid doing this in future as any links you build up will then become useless.

Theres looooads more you can learn and its an science to know everything and noone ever will as Google has its secrets and is always evolving!

Good luch though!!

Thankyou for the information craig , I will try to mofify my site according to your instructions. I have modified my final/semi http://www.freewebs.com/dellboye/chelseafinalssemis.htm final page to add more text and information as example of what I think you mean by more text. As for the links- do I add links to every page or just one as I have found that the pages wich are listed on ebay have all got links on them.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:57 am 
Post subject:

Sorry for the delay mate. The page is much better now from an SEO point of view.

All you need to do is create a "links page" in your menu and link out from there... Just like i have >>>
kcs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

fantastic site mate. will be useful for many within the hobby/obsession!!
Dellboye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:07 am 
Post subject:

Have updated site.
added close-up photo of a programme from every season since 1950
added 1940's section
Dellboye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:42 am 
Post subject:

Im starting to upload every single chelsea home from my collection. I have currently uploaded 1946-70 although I have since added to my collection(i will update later) plus when I was scanning I found some with faults(about 30 from 1964-74) so I could not scan them.

I was just checking the webstorage of my site and it says it is over limit. Although I can still see all of my site when checking so Im not to sure whether its a problem or not.

You can look at the programme 1946-70 here
http://www.freewebs.com/dellboye/apps/photos/album?albumid=5436398
Can you please tell me of any faults(if there is any)
Dellboye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:25 am 
Post subject:

Annoyingly freewebs has said that I have no more space to upload more photo's to my website. Does anyone whether I can transfer my site to another host so that I can carry on with my site. Or if that is not possible can anyone tell me which are the best hosts to create a website so that I can upload as many photo's as I want.

Any help much appreciated Thumbs Up
Bankie boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 pm 
Post subject:

Great site Dellboye,just wondered if there is any mention of the friendlies against Clydebank played in Aug and sept of 67?
Maybe there is a match report or teams or scorers in the matches following these two>
Cheers Stevie
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

Dellboye wrote:
Annoyingly freewebs has said that I have no more space to upload more photo's to my website. Does anyone whether I can transfer my site to another host so that I can carry on with my site. Or if that is not possible can anyone tell me which are the best hosts to create a website so that I can upload as many photo's as I want.

Any help much appreciated Thumbs Up

Im not familiar with freewebs but can you not host your images at imageshack or something and then link them through?

Hadnt been on your website since i give you advice on search engines months ago but it looks great with all the individual photos on there by season! Thumbs Up
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:36 pm 
Post subject:

I'll be offering some free football web site space when I get my act together but just too busy with other things at the moment.

What I would say is for £17 you can get your own space 5gb in the uk and a free domain thrown in.

A free option is something like this below;

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Kickoff3pm.com/ShootFootballMagazines#

Craig seems to have the handle on SEO but if you want any other help, setting up a site feel free to contact me and I'll help if I can.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: