Football Programmes Centre

Favourite Memories
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Favourite Memories
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:17 pm 
Post subject: Favourite Memories

First game attended: 1971 Leeds (0-1) but almost certainly earlier with my Dad but I don't remember - we still go together (he's 79)

Last game attended: FA Cup Final with my lad (carrying on the tradition through 4 generations and 80 odd years)

Biggest win you've seen (your team): 8-0 v Saints 1971, Wimbledon 1979 League Cup

Favourite all time player: Big Nev

Your favourite or best team XI (keep it to players you've seen but you can have honourable mentions for the oldies if you like):

Southall, Stevens, Labone, Ratcliffe, Mountfield, Steven, Kendall, Harvey, Arteta, Sharp, Latchford

Figure of hate (own team): Bernie Wright

Figure of hate (opponent): Jimmy Case (I'll be as diplomatic as I can) - also Billy Whitehurst

Best buy your team ever made: Big Nev

Other categories.. when you think of them - add on!
ashburton-grove

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

First game attended: Arsenal v Sampdoria 6th April 1995 European Cup Winners Cup Semi Final and saw Steve Bould score two with his head. Couldn't get better than that!

Last game attended: Arsenal v Stoke City last game of the season just gone. 4 goals up before half time,. wonderful.

Biggest win you've seen (your team): 7-0 v Slavia Prague a walk in the park.

Favourite all time player: Tony Adams, even named my son after him.

Your favourite or best team XI (keep it to players you've seen but you can have honourable mentions for the oldies if you like):

Seaman, Bould, Adams, Dixon, Clichy, Pires, Flamini, Fabregas, Vieira, Henry, Drake. Have missed out so many!

Figure of hate (own team): Igor Stepanovs, a stumbling buffoon.

Figure of hate (opponent): Cashley A-hole, nuf said.

Best buy your team ever made: Thierry Henry. Priceless.
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:13 pm 
Post subject:

First game attended: 1946 wolves reserves v nottm forest reserves

Last game attended: v Doncaster last game of last season

Biggest win you've seen (your team): Probably at my first away game when we beat Cardiff 9 - 1 in 1955??

Favourite all time player: Peter Knowles

Williams,
Clamp, Wright, Munro, Foley,
Wagstaff, Flowers, Broadbent,Wescott
Richards, Bull

So many players could be in here I could give you 3 teams

Figure of hate (own team): Never hated a Wolves Player
Figure of hate (opponent): McIndoe for comments made after moving from us
Best buy your team ever made: Must be Steve Bull

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
surfinjim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:04 am 
Post subject:

First game attended: 1975 home to Cardiff. I was 5!

Last game attended: Rangers v Motherwell May last season

Biggest win you've seen (your team): Wednesday 5 West Ham 0, Dec 93, known as "The Waddle Match!"

Favourite all time player: John Sheridan

Hodge, Nielson, Pearson, Smith, Worthington
Waddle, Sheridan, Palmer, Curran
Hirst, Bannister

Figure of hate (own team): Di Canio, Carbone, De Bilde, Jonk (in fact any foreign mercenary who cam e along for the cash and only contributed in our demise). Not forgetting Tricky Trev Francis. Great player, shocking manager.........I only have to say "Sinton"!

Figure of hate (opponent): Anyone who plays in red and white stripes out of S2 and has a distinct odour of bacon.

Best buy your team ever made: Waddle

Best game you saw your team in: 26 December 1979. Boxing day Massacre!

Best game ever seen; 1979 Scottish Cup final 2nd replay at Hampden between the Gers and Aberdeen. 3-2 after extra time.

Best Goal ever seen by your team: Waddle, FA Cup semi Final 2nd minute against the Porkers.

Best Away Trip; Man City around 1992/93. Sang the good old "Atkinson's Barmy Army song for 65 minutes solid, Straight through half time and our second goal in a 2-1 win.

Jim Thumbs Up

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

Scorers; Mellor, King, Curran, Smith (pen)

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:54 am 
Post subject:

First game attended: Grimsby Town v Doncaster Rovers FLC August 1969. Town lost 2-0 but I was hooked. Following Saturday we beat Hartlepool 2-0. I'd never known such excitement.

Sure Auchinleckian has his own Grimsby memories but my favourites would have to be the two beatings of Everton (1979 and 1984) although the second of those must rank as the biggest travesty of a football result of the 20th century, and winning at Anfield in 2001 with a screamer from ex Evertonian Phil Jeavons.
It is those good days that make up for the misery of seeing more relegations than promotions in the 40 years of watching the Mariners.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 pm 
Post subject:

grimsbybarralad wrote:
First game attended: Grimsby Town v Doncaster Rovers FLC August 1969. Town lost 2-0 but I was hooked. Following Saturday we beat Hartlepool 2-0. I'd never known such excitement.

Sure Auchinleckian has his own Grimsby memories but my favourites would have to be the two beatings of Everton (1979 and 1984) although the second of those must rank as the biggest travesty of a football result of the 20th century, and winning at Anfield in 2001 with a screamer from ex Evertonian Phil Jeavons.
It is those good days that make up for the misery of seeing more relegations than promotions in the 40 years of watching the Mariners.

Ah yes I remember that 84 game. Wilkinson scored and moved to us.. (err thank you Bernie Wright .. did the same and didn't shine). Nevertheless it was an entertaining game and we were in the middle of a golden run (unbeatable bar this one!) so I'm sure I forgave you for stealing the victory at the time.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:46 pm 
Post subject: grimsby memories

All time favourite Mariners side

Nigel Batch

Dave Worthington, Kev Moore, Chris Nicholl, Bob Cummings (hardest player ever to have graced league football, ask Norman Hunter!!!)

Joe Waters, Shaun Cunnington, Trevor Whymark, Davie Boylen,

Matt Tees, Clive Mendonca.

subs, Jack Lewis, Ron Cockerill, Gary Birtles, Diddy Dave Gilbert, Paul Wilkinson.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:31 pm 
Post subject:

First game attended: The 1973 Watney Cup Final. We were in the 2nd Div Sheff U were in the 1st. 0-0 at the end and we won 0n pens. Great start to watching the Rovers.

Last game attended: 2-5-09 Rovers v Hartlepool

Biggest win you've seen (your team): Seen a couple of 6-0 wins but can't for the life of me remember who they were against.

Favourite all time player: Ian Holloway

I have never been able to pick a team like this. Am so old now I've seen too many players.

Figure of hate (own team): Justin Skinner. Was a lazy g*t and once when I shouted at him to move his lazt a**e he turned round and yelled f**k off at me.

Figure of hate (opponent): Ronaldo and Drogba. Cheating ********'s

Best buy your team ever made: Nigel Martyn. Got him for free (Or very little) and sold him as the first £Million goal keeper.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes

Last edited by pastpirate on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:34 pm 
Post subject: Re: grimsby memories

Auchinleckian wrote:
All time favourite Mariners side

Nigel Batch

Dave Worthington, Kev Moore, Chris Nicholl, Bob Cummings (hardest player ever to have graced league football, ask Norman Hunter!!!)

Joe Waters, Shaun Cunnington, Trevor Whymark, Davie Boylen,

Matt Tees, Clive Mendonca.

subs, Jack Lewis, Ron Cockerill, Gary Birtles, Diddy Dave Gilbert, Paul Wilkinson.

Trevor Whymark: Undoubtably the best player I've been fortunate enough to see in a Town shirt. Even though he was nearing the end of his career his contribution was fantastic. Remember great goals v Chelsea and Barnsley (*where we were 2-0 down on the last time we played on Good Friday but came back to beat the Yorkies 3-2.)
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 pm 
Post subject:

Well I know having seen Everton win the league twice (too young in 70) - saw some in 85 and all of 87 at home - I have experienced that high that, recently, sadly has been confined to very few. I guess the (older) Derby, Wolves and the like fans have also experienced this feeling - and for those of lower leagues it's still the same great feeling when you win the level your team plays at. For that experience, which could be replicated but probably won't in the near future, I'm grateful but it's not the be-all-and-end-all IMO for an older fan - it's the belonging.

Sadly I opted out of Rotterdam but I was there when we beat QPR to lift the title in 1985 (Sharp, Mountfield 2-0 and remember the winning goal as if it was yesterday).

Wonder if our older members were watching their teams when they won the old Div 1 titles?
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:27 pm 
Post subject:

ToffeeDan wrote:
grimsbybarralad wrote:

Ah yes I remember that 84 game. Wilkinson scored and moved to us.. (err thank you Bernie Wright .. did the same and didn't shine). Nevertheless it was an entertaining game and we were in the middle of a golden run (unbeatable bar this one!) so I'm sure I forgave you for stealing the victory at the time.

The match statistics read something like: Everton: 20 efforts on target. Grimsby: ONE. Even our local paper reckoned we should have all been wearing masks and shouting "Stand and Deliver"..
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:10 pm 
Post subject: memories

Wasn't even thought of the last time Grimsby were in Division 1. Was unfortunate to see them first in their last division two season in 62-3, and it was nine years of basically purgatory befor e we won the 4th division in 1971-2.
That season's memories will stay with me forever. I honestly thought I was destined to support a team that never won anything, but when Doncaster sacked Lawrie McMenemy as manager, he came to Grimsby and transformed the place.
Crowds of over 20,000 for a few home games were phenomenal, especially when we were used to playing in front of about 3 to 4,000.
Away support of 10,000 plus at places like Doncaster, Lincoln, and Scunthorpe bought towns to a standstill. As an impressionable 17 year old, going to most away games, and being part of an uncontrolable mob was exhilerating.
Successive promotions in 78-9 and 79-80 bought back the great times, and a second division berth for the first time in nearly 20 years. They were also great days, and the games against the likes of Barnsley and Sheff United bought huge crowds both home and away. 25,000 away support at Anfiled for an Facup tie in 79-80 was the largest I've ever been in. We had a similar number in 72-3 at Coventry, also in the FACup.
Great days, and you can't buy memories like that.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:47 pm 
Post subject: Anything goes chit chat.

ToffeeDan wrote:
Well I know having seen Everton win the league twice (too young in 70) - saw some in 85 and all of 87 at home - I have experienced that high that, recently, sadly has been confined to very few. I guess the (older) Derby, Wolves and the like fans have also experienced this feeling - and for those of lower leagues it's still the same great feeling when you win the level your team plays at. For that experience, which could be replicated but probably won't in the near future, I'm grateful but it's not the be-all-and-end-all IMO for an older fan - it's the belonging.

Sadly I opted out of Rotterdam but I was there when we beat QPR to lift the title in 1985 (Sharp, Mountfield 2-0 and remember the winning goal as if it was yesterday).

Wonder if our older members were watching their teams when they won the old Div 1 titles?
YES,I started watching Everton at the begining of the 61/62 season. and went with my older brother to most home and away games the following season when Everton won the Old Div 1 championship was about 13 at the time,dont recall missing many home games that season ,one that does stand out was the last home game that season v Fulham a 4-1 win on a glorious summers day Welsh International and captain Roy Vernan scoring a hat-trick. and the admission price to these games ... 2s/6p or 12p.amazing.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 pm 
Post subject: Re: Anything goes chit chat.

Molineux Phil wrote:
ToffeeDan wrote:

YES,I started watching Everton at the begining of the 61/62 season. and went with my older brother to most home and away games the following season when Everton won the Old Div 1 championship was about 13 at the time,dont recall missing many home games that season ,one that does stand out was the last home game that season v Fulham a 4-1 win on a glorious summers day Welsh International and captain Roy Vernan scoring a hat-trick. and the admission price to these games ... 2s/6p or 12p.amazing.

Are you going to make it to Goodison this season 17 October ish..- perhaps we could meet up (and I think I'll do Wolves away and maybe (spit it out) Villa)
Healing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:44 am 
Post subject:

Hi TD.I was at norwich when we won the league in 87.Hitched from the Rocket with a bunch of scallies who picked me up.After game got a lift to London where I was living.Still remember invading their main stand singing ...and we love our Everton.Awesome days
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: Anything goes chit chat.

ToffeeDan wrote:
Molineux Phil wrote:
ToffeeDan wrote:

Are you going to make it to Goodison this season 17 October ish..- perhaps we could meet up (and I think I'll do Wolves away and maybe (spit it out) Villa)
Almost certain will be at this fixture ,it is my birthday on the 21st and i am retireing from my job after 45 yes 45 years with the same firm,so will be looking for my kids to treat me to this game.
jambokev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:54 am 
Post subject:

First game attended: The first football match I attended was with my Dad, a Hibs friendly v Sheffield Wednesday about 15 years ago. My first Hearts game, I believe it was a Scottish League Cup game against Ross County about 9 years ago, we won 3-0 on penalties at Tynecastle.

Last game attended: Hearts v Dundee United at Tynecastle to secure Europe, we won 3-0.

Biggest win you've seen (your team): 5-0 v Falkirk, Boxing day 2005, Calum Elliot scored his first goals for the club,scoring 2 of the 5. (Although, 4-0 v Hibs in the Scottish Cup Semi Final felt like a better win for so so many reasons)

Favourite all time player: I don't really have one, most older Hearts fans would say John Robertson but his last games for the club just as I was starting to get into football and supporting Hearts. I'd probally have to say Paul Hartley.

..................................Craig Gordon
Robbie Neilson, Steven Pressley, Christophe Berra, Takis Fyssas
..................................Julien Brellier
...Thomas Flogel, Colin Cameron, Paul Hartley, Rudi Skacel
.................................John Robertson

Figure of hate (own team): Probally the only 2 players that have ever been booed whenever they touched the ball, for about 6 months of 2007 is Marius Zaliukas and Saulius Mikoliunas.

Figure of hate (opponent): Derek Riordan (hibs), Neil Lennon (formally celtic), Barry Ferguson (rangers) plus many more Hibs and Celtic.

Best buy your team ever made: Rudi Skacel, 17 goals in 2005/06 from left midfield and loads of assists and the opening goal in the 2006 cup final and scoring a penalty in the shoot-out.
badhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:55 am 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:

Biggest win you've seen (your team): Seen a couple of 6-0 wins but can't for the life of me remember who they were against.

The only 6 - 0 that I can remember in recent times is the away win at Reading in 1999 - The Madejski Massacre! 0 - 0 at half time and second half goals from Jamie Cureton (4) and Jason Roberts (2). Where did it all go wrong since then?

Jamie, I haven't received a reply about the Rochdale 84/5 friendly. Do you still want it?
stodin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:23 am 
Post subject:

During my Forest years
First game attended: 1981 v Vancouver Whitecaps friendly

Last game attended: Cant really remember but it was at the end of the 2001/2002 season

Biggest win you've seen (your team): 6-0 v Chester League cup 1988.--- I missed the 1991 7-0 hammering of 'when they were rubbish' Chelsea as I opted to stay in the pub with a bird I met

Favourite all time player: Stuart Pearce

Your favourite or best team XI. Shilton, Anderson, Pearce, Walker, McGovern, Keane, Robertson, Webb, Collymore, Clough. Special mention to my girlfriends dad, Bob 'Sammy' Chapman, I never saw him play but my dad would have him as one of our centre halfs

Figure of hate (own team): Brian Rice for some reason got alot of stick. Unwarranted in my opinion as he was far from the worst player we had. He was a really nice bloke too and will always have a special place in my heart for scoring against Arsenal in the FA Cup 6th round at highbury

Figure of hate (opponent): Alan Shearer, horrible dirty ba$tard and any Derby player. I vaguely remember lars bohinen getting lots of stick after he left.

Best buy your team ever made: Roy Keane, mainly for the profit. I saw his debut and he always looked a bit special, bit of a cock in person though

Best game (your team); I had many good memories following Forest in the early 90's/late 80's so it is really difficult to choose one but I will probably go for the 1988 FA Cup 6th round win over Arsenal at highbury. We beat them 2-1 infront of 51,570 it was just a wonderful atmosphere. Special mentions have to go to the 1st time I saw Forest at Wembley v Luton in the 1989 league cup final and the 1-0 win v Man Utd at old trafford in the 1989 FA Cup 6th Round, to win with a dodgy goal which upset the mancs made it even more sweet.
stodin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:44 am 
Post subject:

During my Hucknall years
First game attended: 2004 away at Kettering

Last game attended: Last night I went to watch Hucknall play a training game against Unity (a community project team trying to stop the drug and gun crime in Nottingham) played at Chilwell Army barracks, possibly the strangest place I have watched a football game

Biggest win you've seen (your team): 5-0 v Lancaster 2007

Favourite all time player: Danny bacon, loves the club and has been a loyal servant for years, had bad luck when he went pro and came back. Although he left at the end of the season to go to Worksop he is still loved by all at the club

Your favourite or best team XI. Errrm, I have no idea, I dont actually take much notice of the football anymore, it bores me a bit

Figure of hate (own team): We have had some shocking players at hucknall but we had a lad called Ben saunders at the club who was clearly out of his depth and he used to get a fair bit of abuse, which is hard for non league players as they can hear EVERYTHING that is aimed at them from a 'crowd' of 350

Figure of hate (opponent): This is a personal one... Danny Holland, He was lucky that I didnt drag him into the stand and beat him to a pulp for not respecting the minutes silence in memory of (sir) Brian Clough. Holland was playing for us at the time and should have known better. I have never witnessed anyone being so terrified when I had him in the club house at Barrow after the game.... COCK!!

Best buy your team ever made: We dont buy players but getting Danny Bacon back was a great signing

Best game (your team); The FA Trophy final of 2005 was a special memory even though we lost on penalties. I would have to go with the FA Trophy semi final 2nd leg of the same year v Bishop's Stortford, 1800 fans at Watnall Road saw us reach the final
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: