Football Programmes Centre

City / Local Derby
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
City / Local Derby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArabJames

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:45 pm 
Post subject: City / Local Derby

With Dundee once again failing to get promoted Laughing it'll now be 4 years since the last Dundee v Dundee United derby. As funny as it is watching them struggle in the league below, no match I currently attend has the same appeal or buzz that a city derby match has. Aberdeen v United matches are talked up as the North East or New Firm derby, and with St. Johnstone winning the First Division there will at least be a Tayside derby to look forward to.....but it's still not the same.

Any of you in the same position where although you can't help laughing at them, a bit of you also wants your rivals up just to have those matches to look forward to? Or vice versa would you love to have a chance to play your higher league rivals again just to put one over them?!
ashburton-grove

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:47 pm 
Post subject:

I dream of being in your position, but every time Spurs seem to pull themselves out of the mire.
But I do agree though because if Spurs go down, when do I get that wonderful feeling of stuffing them at the Emirates or jeering them when they get a last minute equaliser and they celebrate like they have won the league.
The atmosphere for that and the Man Utd games are electric, not like a game against the Baggies.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:53 pm 
Post subject:

Wish we had a local rival but the team down the road seems to be from Norway and, strangely, employs an awful lot of Spaniards!!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

Would love to catch up with our local rivals but may have to wait a while yet. At least we beat them the last time we met and won a trip to the Mill Stad. That alone keep us Pirates going when they try to take the micky.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
rokerprogz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm 
Post subject:

It's increasingly looking like we will have at least 1 less "derby" next season. With Sunderland, newcastle and Boro all fighting relegation I'll save my laughing until (fingers crossed) we're safe.
jambokev

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:28 pm 
Post subject: Re: City / Local Derby

ArabJames wrote:
With Dundee once again failing to get promoted Laughing it'll now be 4 years since the last Dundee v Dundee United derby. As funny as it is watching them struggle in the league below, no match I currently attend has the same appeal or buzz that a city derby match has. Aberdeen v United matches are talked up as the North East or New Firm derby, and with St. Johnstone winning the First Division there will at least be a Tayside derby to look forward to.....but it's still not the same.

Any of you in the same position where although you can't help laughing at them, a bit of you also wants your rivals up just to have those matches to look forward to? Or vice versa would you love to have a chance to play your higher league rivals again just to put one over them?!

It is good to have a local derby, well, when you win. Hearts did knock Hibs out the Scottish cup (to make it 108 years since they last won it) Very Happy but Hibs have beaten us twice and drawn twice in the league this season. Although, they just sneaked into the top 6 and we're one win from Europe- who's had the better season?, we only need to beat, err, your lot Smile I'll be there! Come on Heaaaaarts!!!
paulo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:27 pm 
Post subject:

We are the ones being laughed at, at the moment.

Still we have Colchester's new ground to look forward to next season!
ForestMick

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

I sympathise Paulo, and I'm sure Foxes1 and other who have been there do too.
ArabJames

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:30 pm 
Post subject:

I'll be at the match on Saturday as well. United sold out the last of the 1800 allocation today so there'll be a good Arab support behind the goal to see Fran Sandaza send us into Europe Wink

Was at Celtic Park last night and needless to say another dodgy refereeing decision against a provincial team has been highlighted again!
Lord Doggett

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 pm 
Post subject:

As a Watford fan Luton Town are still regarded as rivals, despite.... well you know what the despite is!

QPR is just down the road, but garners little passion, but then again I don't particularly miss the Luton games, sometimes they did produce a bit too much "passion" among certain sections of both teams support.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:42 pm 
Post subject:

Lord Doggett wrote:
As a Watford fan Luton Town are still regarded as rivals, despite.... well you know what the despite is!

QPR is just down the road, but garners little passion, but then again I don't particularly miss the Luton games, sometimes they did produce a bit too much "passion" among certain sections of both teams support.

But there's plenty of previous with Palace isn't there?
Lord Doggett

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:28 am 
Post subject:

Palace are always one of the teams we take particular pleasure in beating, especially at their ground, but I wouldn't class them as local rivals, most of the issues between the clubs occurred through incidents on the pitch, not off of it.

In fact apart from Luton no one really bears too much animosity towards Watford, it's a nice club!

Even in the bad old days of the 70s and 80s we were one of the only clubs not to erect fences around the pitch, we have no serious "firm" as such, and there is seldom trouble at home or away matches.... except of course against Luton.

After all how can anyone be threated by grown men (or women) in bright yellow shirts!
stodin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:28 pm 
Post subject:

Having finally been relegated to the Unibond premier I was looking forward to the local derby games against Ilkeston and Eastwood... but both teams won promotion to the Conference north this year.

Typical, we even have to put up with the scumbag plastic fans of FC United of Bury now
stodin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

When I followed Forest I used to like the Forest v Notts County Derby days, they were usually really friendly (apart from the odd Notts County wannabe) with lots of banter in the pubs.

In saying that what I looked forward to the most was away games at Derby and Leicester, proper nasty... oh yess

Nod
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: