Football Programmes Centre

Bobby Charlton.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bobby Charlton.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:23 pm 
Post subject: Bobby Charlton.

Terrible news of another chilhood hero of mine and many others, that Bobby Charlton died today. R.I.P Bobby. Crying or Very sad
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:25 am 
Post subject: Bobby Charlton

Sad news, and although we all know he'd been poorly for some time, it still came as a shock.

The word legend gets thrown around too easily these days, but Bobby was without doubt a proper legend of the game.

I was lucky to see him play several times when I was a kid and fortunate enough when I was an adult to meet him and spend a little time in his (and the rest of the '66 team) company.

Lovely man and very humble.

RIP Sir Bobby and thanks for so many memories.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:46 am 

I did see the great man play several times at Goodison and Anfield. I can’t remember too much about the games . It’s funny the things you do remember when you get older . I was at a pre - season friendly in Dublin late 1960s. George Best had those big sideburns by then . George was taking it easy in the match . Bobby Charlton shouting to him “ George , move you’re arse now!” . Years later he was at an athletics event in Manchester. My daughter was competing . There was a queue of people at the ice cream van. Bobby was at the back of the queue waiting his turn. As Five said, a very unassuming man. A living legend just waiting his turn to buy an ice cream. Great player and a lovely man.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, a legend all over the world. Back then you could go almost anywhere in the world and a cabbie would ask you "Do you know Bobby Charlton"? He was the most famous Englishman. And a brilliant footballer. I have no idea how good he was at golf....

RIP Bobby and thanks for everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:41 am 
Post subject:

Count myself fortunate to have seen him play greatest English player ever imo ,but has a kid trying to get his autograph was nie impossible he used tell us kids to get out of his fucxxxx way and from under his fucxxxx feet when trying to obtain one .
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:06 pm 

This has always been my tribute to Bobby

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoUCz2R

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Supermono13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:01 pm 
Post subject: Re: Bobby Charlton

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
This has always been my tribute to Bobby

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoUCz2R

Wow !!! Wonderful.

It will be very emotional tomorrow night against Copenhagen and perhaps even more so at the weekend against City.

One cannot underestimate the status he is held in worldwide - for example if you were to ask my mother to name four sportsmen I can guarantee the list will consist of Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Pele and Muhammad Ali. For a certain generation praise will not come higher than that.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:19 pm 

Just found this in my box of football stuff.. Best, Law , Charlton and Ashton have signed it.
markb9060

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:26 pm 
Post subject:

Thedoog10 wrote:
Count myself fortunate to have seen him play greatest English player ever imo ,but has a kid trying to get his autograph was nie impossible he used tell us kids to get out of his fucxxxx way and from under his fucxxxx feet when trying to obtain one .

Thedoog10,

I love your recollection mate.

Sir Bobby, by his own admission, was a little 'aloof' with supporters in the old days but was honest enough to accept this part of his character.
I seem to recall that he was somewhat unhappy that some fans had turned up at his wedding!!

Also you are correct about his skill. I was fortunate enough to watch him play at United from 1970 to 1973. What is sometimes overlooked is Charlton's incredible use of the ball particularly his passing ability. His long range passes were legendary when receiving the ball in defence and pinging it to land on a sixpence in attack. Truly amazing and I'm sure Beckham learned a lot from him in this respect.

Yes, he was one of England's greatest ever players who was acknowledged by supporters the world over. I will never forget standing in the Stretford End for Bobby's Testimonial against Celtic in 1972.
The atmosphere was akin to a huge European football night. The full house were singing his name a good hour before kick off. The noise was on a different level.
I think Ten Hag summed it up perfectly when he said it's a loss to football but a bigger loss to society....enough said.

R.I.P Sir Bobby Charlton, forever in your debt.

Mark Blackburn.
martino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:59 pm 
Post subject:

An interesting fact about Bobby Charlton is that he won the £1,000 jackpot on the Television programme Double Your Money in 1959, answering questions on pop music.

For the jackpot question the contestant was required to sit in a soundproof box. Bobby refused to go into the box because, I believe, he suffered from claustrophobia following the Munich disaster the previous year. The producers agreed to his request and he was allowed to answer the jackpot question alongside the compere, Hughie Green.
markb9060

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 am 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
An interesting fact about Bobby Charlton is that he won the £1,000 jackpot on the Television programme Double Your Money in 1959, answering questions on pop music.

For the jackpot question the contestant was required to sit in a soundproof box. Bobby refused to go into the box because, I believe, he suffered from claustrophobia following the Munich disaster the previous year. The producers agreed to his request and he was allowed to answer the jackpot question alongside the compere, Hughie Green.

What an amazing story.
I can just imagine him saying "I don't mind the money but I'm not sitting in that crappy box!
I used to love watching 'Double Your Money' (and take it away da da da da!)
That, and later on 'Opportunity Knocks' Basically the Golden Age of Television. (showing my age just a tad)
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: