Football Programmes Centre

Dixie Deans last football match programme?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dixie Deans last football match programme?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holtie96

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:39 pm 
Post subject: Dixie Deans last football match programme?

I hope someone may be able to help??
Could this football programme be the last time Dixie Dean kicked a football competitively? Played at Bootle Fc 1950
Anyone know what the last match would have been?
Charity match etc?
Thanks for any help
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:39 am 
Post subject: Dixie Deans last football match programme?

Holtie, l would have thought that was Dixie’s last game. The match between old Everton v old Liverpool players first took place in Jan 1950. A few months later( May 1950) they re-played the same match.Attendance was 17,000 l think? It was all to raise money for Bootle FC who were skint! They went out of business soon after. Looks like the games took place at Holly Park, South Liverpool’s ground . Dixie would turn out often after this and kick- off matches. He was a good guy who would help out struggling teams who needed a boost. I saw him kick a ball a few times in the 1960s. I think our pal , Littlewiggy, saw Dixie kick- off at Newport County, Brian Harris benefit game. I think the real rare Dean programmes( end of career games) must be his two appearances for Hurst( Cheshire League 1940) and programmes from his pre-war time at Sligo 1939. I have never seen a Tranmere Rovers programme with Dixie in the line-up, l take it they are scarce! There is a brief interview with Dixie talking about the game you have got the programme for. He is with a couple of other Everton greats, Joe Mercer and Harry Catterick, Don’t know how to get it on screen for you.

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:16 am 
Post subject: Dean

Wow! Thank you so much!!!
Easy Easy Easy Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: