Football Programmes Centre

European Youth Cup (1970s)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
European Youth Cup (1970s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merseman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:40 pm 
Post subject: European Youth Cup (1970s)

I've got a set of programmes for the "European Youth Cup" - held on Easter weekend in Glasgow from 1973 to 1975. It was not like the modern Champions Youth League but an invitational tournament with clubs from Scotland, England and the continent. Do results exist anywhere - and did it only run for these 3yrs?

1973 (April 20th to 23rd)
Section and playoff games at Shieldhall; finals at Celtic Park

U15
Section I - Celtic BC, Leeds Utds (England), Feyenoord (Netherlands), Sighthill, Dusseldorf (West Germany), Glasgow United
Section II - Eastercraigs, Home Farm (Eire), Edinburgh City, Boo IF (Sweden), Kilmarnock, Seynois (France)
U16
Section I - Eastercraigs, Aberdeen, Home Farm (Eire), Skiljebo (Sweden), Drumchapel Amateurs, Manchester United (England)
Section II - Celtic BC, Wolves (England), Dusseldorf (West Germany), Ayr United, Elgin City, Cagliari (Italy)

1974 (April 12th to 15th)
Finals at Celtic Park

U14
(Saracen Park, Ashfield) - Section I - Celtic BC, Feyenoord (Netherlands), Glasgow Amateurs, Lille (France)
(Fir Park, Motherwell) - Section II - Rangers BC, Bayern Munich (West Germany), Fir Park BC, Neuchatel (Switzerland)
U17
(Roseberry Park, Shawfield) - Section I - Manchester United (England), Eastercraigs Amateurs, Santos (Italy), Motherwell
(Lesser Hampden) - Section II - Celtic BC, Liege (Belgium), Ayr United, Hanover (West Germany)

1975 (March 28th to 31st)
Finals at Celtic Park

U15
(Shettleston) - Section I - Celtic BC, Fir Park BC, Salvesen BC, Sparta Rotterdam (Netherlands)
(Ashfield Park) - Section II - Ayr United BC, Eastercraigs, Throstles Sheffield (England), Tynecastle BC
U18
(Roseberry Park, Shawfield and Shawfield Stadium, Rutherglen) - Section I - Celtic, Grangemouth, Neuchatel Xamax (Switzerland), Norwich City (England), Santos (Italy)
(Holm Park, Yoker and Lochburn Park, Maryhill) - Ayr United, Eastercraigs, Sparta Rotterdam (Netherlands), Sunderland (England), Throstles Juniors (England)

Ajb1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:02 pm 
Post subject:

I played in the 1974 tournament for Ayr United. I seem to remember easily beating Liede 7-0 and Hanover. We played Celtic in the final group match. We went 1-0 up but lost 4-1. I played centre half against George McCluskey. He scored a stunning goal! Tommy Burns also played. Certificate played Man U in the final. Can't remember who won, but I was there. I think it was Celtic. I would love a copy of the programme. I have a newspaper photo of the Ayr team somewhere. Andy Butler.
Bluebird54

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

If you have access to the British Newspaper Archive some of the results are printed in the Aberdeen papers issued around those dates. If not let me know which ones you are looking for and I will pass them on.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: