Football Programmes Centre

PSA type grading for football programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PSA type grading for football programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:57 pm 
Post subject: PSA type grading for football programmes

I had an email from another collector a few weeks ago, as follows

I have a good friend who collects comics, been collecting since we were kids. His collection is amazing and on a recent visit he showed me some of his star lots. They were all graded and encapsulated.

It got me thinking, I have some high value football programmes and if they were graded and encapsulated it may make a new market. Whilst rarity is everything if you combine that with condition and have a recognised formal grade it would have us all chasing those with the highest ratings.

I have spoken to CGC who are one on the main grading companies and the man I spoke to had never seen a football programme graded, but said they could do it depending on size.

It would of course make no sense to do this for every programme, just too many, but maybe those special rare ones it would add something?

My reply was

Interesting idea (and of course I'm familiar with the concept) but I don't think it works with football programmes

In my experience there is very little premium (if any) on "mint/excellent" condition programmes over "good" condition programmes. The faults which are usually obvious - punch holes, writing, heavy folds - are what determines the value. From a personal point of view as well I'd have no interest in a programme that had been graded and sealed in a plastic container - programmes are tactile, to be held and read - locking them in a plastic sleeve defeats the object, surely?

So, would a collector pay more for a particular programme if it was graded mint or near mint over one which was good? I don't think they would. These grading companies charge £100+ to grade and seal the programmes and I doubt that would add to the value in any way. Would it entice new/younger collectors? Again I think not as younger collectors are looking at different things now - cards, shirts etc rather than dusty old programmes

But now I'll contradict myself a bit, for the recent trend of collecting Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Beckham etc - yes, I could see that working for tickets, cards and even programmes for these types of players which are collected in USA, Middle East etc

Has anyone else looked at this type of service for football programmes?
se20blue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:52 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid

I will show my ignorance and ask what does PSA and CGC stand for ?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
colchestersid

I will show my ignorance and ask what does PSA and CGC stand for ?

It's what you see with a lot of American collectables (especially cards)

PSA see here https://www.psacard.com/services/tradingcardgrading/grading

CGC see here https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading-scale/

The graded collectable is then sealed in an archive/plastic sleeve, sealed with the grading and authentication noted, like this

https://www.cgccards.com/card-grading/holder-label/
tackler7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:37 pm 
Post subject:

Grading is a big rip off. The grading structure seems to be at a whim and they get away with it because they have created an almost false market which they can control.

Slabbing a programme means you can't read the content which defeats the entire point. The grader might as well just grade the covers as you would have no idea of what the insides look like once they are within their plastic tomb.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:39 pm 
Post subject:

tackler7 wrote:
Grading is a big rip off. The grading structure seems to be at a whim and they get away with it because they have created an almost false market which they can control.

Slabbing a programme means you can't read the content which defeats the entire point. The grader might as well just grade the covers as you would have no idea of what the insides look like once they are within their plastic tomb.

All valid and I agree.

But it’s a baseline over here in many of the sports. PSA are also only supposed to deal with authentic cards / articles so there is at least an implied verification that when you get the item back graded, it’s not a fake either. In the card, ticket stub, program market etc over here in the States, you would have a hard time selling most items of value without it I believe.
tackler7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:45 am 
Post subject:

Texas Rangers wrote:

All valid and I agree.

But it’s a baseline over here in many of the sports. PSA are also only supposed to deal with authentic cards / articles so there is at least an implied verification that when you get the item back graded, it’s not a fake either. In the card, ticket stub, program market etc over here in the States, you would have a hard time selling most items of value without it I believe.

Which demonstrates perfectly the false market I referred to.

I'm glad that the UK is (almost) free of that insanity.

As for the fakes, I'm sure thst is the intention but not always the case especially for Non American sports, where the graders knowledge is limited.
overlap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:00 am 
Post subject:

As an aside to this, I see that PSA have started "grading" 1958 WC tickets featuring Pele, which the sellers (all US based) then take as a green light to ask the most ludicrous amounts.

Whereas I would say that most experienced ticket collectors in the UK would know what condition a ticket was in, and also be alert (hopefully) to that dreaded beast, the fake.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:20 pm 
Post subject:

tackler7 wrote:
Texas Rangers wrote:

All valid and I agree.

Which demonstrates perfectly the false market I referred to.

I'm glad that the UK is (almost) free of that insanity.

As for the fakes, I'm sure thst is the intention but not always the case especially for Non American sports, where the graders knowledge is limited.

Yip.

The 1958 WC and the PELE “ rookie” year being the best examples. I can’t prove it of course but I’d bet many dealing in these items will hardly have watched a “ soccer” game.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: