Football Programmes Centre

Beware - EU Packaging Fees
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Beware - EU Packaging Fees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:30 pm 
Post subject: Beware - EU Packaging Fees

I read with interest the following letter in the Daily Telegraph:

"As an antiquarian bookseller I send orders all over the world. However from the end of this month I will no longer sell to Germany or France. What has changed? Extended Producer Responsibility, that's what.

In brief it appears that mail order sellers to these countries will be responsible for the eco disposal of all packagaing. This will not only affect booksellers such as myself but also those on e bay and similar sales sites.

I will have to declare the amount of packaging on all my orders and register with each Country in order to pay eco fees. Declarations and eco payments will have to be made on a quarterly or annual basis."

So beware. It looks as though this is an EU wide directive so it will impact selling to many other countries. Potentially a lot of hassle to sell one football programme to these countries and, as the writer says, not worth the hassle.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:10 pm 
Post subject:

Surely if you post one programme in an envelope, none of this applies? there has to be a line at which it kicks in, otherwise you can never again send a letter to Germany or France without jumping through hoops.
martino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:43 pm 
Post subject:

Here is a bit more detail from UK Gov.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/packaging-waste-prepare-for-extended-producer-responsibility

Looks like the "kick in" point is a turnover of £1 million p.a. so perhaps not something to worry about.

I assume that on the customs forms there will be an opt out box to say that you do not meet the requirements.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:06 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/packaging-waste-prepare-for-extended-producer-responsibility

Looks like the "kick in" point is a turnover of £1 million p.a. so perhaps not something to worry about.

I assume that on the customs forms there will be an opt out box to say that you do not meet the requirements.

Shucks, I'm stuffed! Crying or Very sad

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:21 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:

That website actually refers to the scheme which will be introduced within the UK, starting in 2023. It will only affect big business initially because of the high turnover requirement, but there's nothing to say that the entry point won't be reduced in future.
martino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

Kvaratschelia wrote:
martino wrote:

That website actually refers to the scheme which will be introduced within the UK, starting in 2023. It will only affect big business initially because of the high turnover requirement, but there's nothing to say that the entry point won't be reduced in future.

Noted. I suppose that is one of the downsides of Brexit. UK is introducing similar legislation to the EU so you have to read carefully to see which countries are affected and when.
martino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
martino wrote:

Shucks, I'm stuffed! Crying or Very sad

Laughing

Hey Pete, you must be close to that annual turnover if you sold some Bonetti photographs.
grantham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

Token gestures from Countries 'fighting' climate change

They could have course sought the biggest polluters such as their reliance on coal powered power stations as opposed to some packaging supplies.

But given that most MP's will have a vested interest in Energy companies as opposed to packaging, it's pretty obvious why they have taken this stance
New Forest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:35 am 
Post subject:

This is exactly how panics start. Someone does not read the complete article. And they are no longer sending things to France and Germany.
Whatever we think of the EU they are not complete prats. This is aimed at companies like Amazon. We get delivered a large box containing scrolls of packing paper and somewhere in the middle is a small box. The packers seem to just grab the first box that fits regardless of size and away it goes. Are Amazon packers paid on the number of parcels they send?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: