Football Programmes Centre

Multiple programme/covers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Multiple programme/covers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndg1860

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:17 am 
Post subject: Multiple programme/covers

Following on from the Swindon 1940s thread, it would be interesting to pass on info re games with multiple programmes or different covers. This may have been discussed before, but not for a little while now.

To start things off - QPR have been involved in a few.

In the 1973-74 season there were power restrictions affecting the printing of programmes. Thus for the QPR v Birmingham (27 Jan), QPR v Chelsea (FA Cup 8 Jan) and QPR v Wolves (16 Mar), there were two covers. Both the same colour but at the top it was different.

The Forest v QPR 18 Nov 78 had two covers - one with team photos and one with player photos.

Reading v QPR 13 May 66 (a postponed game from 26 Feb 66) had two covers, one using the 26 Feb cover and one using a different cover.

Some Manchester United programmes, and I am guessing this relates to almost all their home games of the 70s and 80s, had two versions. One for the home fans with a token and one for the away fans without.
overlap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:42 am 
Post subject:

One of the earliest examples was when Gravesend & Northfleet played Sunderland in the FA Cup fourth round in 1962/63.
The programme was produced with some copies having a pink outer cover, and some with a yellow outer cover.
I don't know the reasoning behind this, whether it was an early marketing novelty, or a late decision to go for a second print run and there was no more of the original paper available.
Phil_MCFC_1946-1970

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:27 am 

Whatever the reasons for multiple covers for the same game, serious collectors would always need to have copies of all different options to be able to tick off that particular match!
Spireitenag1955

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

24/11/1962 Barnsley v Chesterfield FAC 2 - 2 different covers.

16/11/1963 Crook Town v Chesterfield FAC 1 - white or yellow paper.

21/04/1973 Southend United v Chesterfield - Double issue includes game
v Grimsby Town, plus a separate 4 page programme for
game against Chesterfield.

28/09/1974 Hereford United v Chesterfield - 4 different colour covers,
blue, green, orange, purple.

31/03/1981 Notts County v Chesterfield Anglo Scottish Cup Final - blue
or yellow cover. ( green cover has also been rumoured, but
not seen to date).

26/02/1983 Bradford City v Chesterfield - single sheet programme on
blue or yellow paper.

04/10/1986 Bristol Rovers v Chesterfield - 2 different covers.

04/03/1997 Chesterfield v Luton Town - 2 different covers.
Selsafc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:09 pm 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
One of the earliest examples was when Gravesend & Northfleet played Sunderland in the FA Cup fourth round in 1962/63.
The programme was produced with some copies having a pink outer cover, and some with a yellow outer cover.
I don't know the reasoning behind this, whether it was an early marketing novelty, or a late decision to go for a second print run and there was no more of the original paper available.

I'm fairly sure that there is a Green and Buff one as well, so that will be 4 in total
ndg1860

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:32 pm 
Post subject:

Selsafc wrote:
overlap wrote:

I'm fairly sure that there is a Green and Buff one as well, so that will be 4 in total

Yes, I have that on good authority by one of the programme sellers from that game. He also said that the programme was a complete mess in regard to Sunderland's team and was almost full of advertising with almost no real context included.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

Spireitenag1955 wrote:
24/11/1962 Barnsley v Chesterfield FAC 2 - 2 different covers.

04/10/1986 Bristol Rovers v Chesterfield - 2 different covers.

This is a new one on me spireitenag1955 do you have pics of them both?
Cheers, Jamie.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
PaulM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:01 am 

Spent many hours attempting to login, all unsuccessful, despite repeated new passwords etc. So can't access pm 's. Could those who have contributed to this thread please email me at [email protected]

Many thanks.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:42 pm 
Post subject:

Argyle have two different covers for their FA Cup Game around 19656 v Dorchester....on is the normal style, the other has a graphic.....only seen that latter once on ebay when Mike Rundle beat me to it ....not that it matters now I am selling up...but just for completeness!
Karb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 am 
Post subject:

ndg1860 wrote:
Selsafc wrote:
overlap wrote:

Yes, I have that on good authority by one of the programme sellers from that game. He also said that the programme was a complete mess in regard to Sunderland's team and was almost full of advertising with almost no real context included.

I have copies of the yellow, green, pink and buff versions. I'm pretty sure I've been told in the past that there is a fifth version, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Other Sunderland games with multiple versions that spring to mind are Watford at Roker in 1984-85, one being the normal red colour that was used for the rest of that season's programmes, and another version with a grey cover, and Nottingham Forest away on 14/12/68, one displaying a picture of the League Championship trophy, the other showing a photo of the new stand
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> eBay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: