Football Programmes Centre

Wales World Cup 1958
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wales World Cup 1958

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:18 pm 
Post subject: Wales World Cup 1958

I picked up this lovely little book recently for a couple of quid. It’s signed by most of the Wales squad from the 1958 World Cup, including some great names: Cliff Jones, Ivor Allchurch ,John Charles etc..It’s a fascinating read. That great old football man, Jimmy Murphy, was team manager..Jimmy enjoyed a drop of Scotch whisky and was always taking a sip from his hip flask during matches! Can you imagine that now? Only 2,832 in attendance when they beat Hungary 2-1 to reach the Quarter Finals. Apparently John Charles received some nasty treatment from the Hungarians and that ended his hope of playing against Brazil in the Quarter Finals. Pele’s goal knocked them out 1-0. If John Charles had not received such a kicking from the Hungarians , they might well have won the World Cup before England? Anyway, if Littlewiggy and the other Welsh supporters on The Forum are looking for something to read on their flight to Qatar in November, give this book a go Laughing
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

On this subject, here's a photo I have showing Wales v Brazil in the 1958 World Cup quarter final, Arsenal stalwart Jack Kelsey catching a cross. The Brazilian is Mazzola, a 19 year old forward, a man of whom not a lot is known, I guess he was unlucky being 19 when Pele was just 17.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:12 pm 

I think items associated with Wales 1958 World Cup campaign will start to really be sought after. I’ve no idea of it’s value, but with only just over 2,000 at the Hungary v Wales game that must be a rare programme? It was interesting listening to match commentator Martin Tyler trying to mention the Wales 1958 World Cup story as much as he could yesterday . 200/1 to win it . Could be worth a tenner.. Good luck to them!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:15 pm 
Post subject:

Lovely item, Pie, the book is common enough but those lovely signatures would make it highly sought I would imagine.

Not by me though, matey, I'm not Welsh (I'm a Norn Iron lad)! Smile

I also won't be watching a minute of that crooked World Cup which FIFA "saw fit" to award to possibly the most despicable regime on the planet. But hey, that's a whole other thread. The rotting stench of corruption seeping from the highest echelons of this game really shouldn't surprise me anymore.

Wales deserve their place, just a huge shame it's at this tournament. Quite how VAR looked at that Ukrainian penalty incident in the first half and decided it wasn't a pen though was simply terrifying. If anyone deserved a slice of luck with pens though, it was undoubtedly the Welsh after 1977, 1985 & 1993. There's no doubt about that, and I'm delighted for my County chums.

PS. The sooner they send Martin Tyler to the glue factory the better. Very Happy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:51 pm 

Littlewiggy, agree with your sentiments. The vibes about it haven’t been good from the start. l think both the Wales and England teams and their travelling supporters just wish it was somewhere else.. Looks like it will cost a fortune for any fans who do want to make the trip as well..
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:34 pm 
Post subject: Wales world cup

This is a bit off track . The penalty incident reminded me of the previous Saturday when Huddersfield had 2 very clear penalties knocked back. Scottish football is clamouring for VAR thinking it will take the heat off the refs in the Old Firm games. They don't seem to realise that VAR is basically just another opinion from the guy in the hut and is not set in stone like goal line technology. While I'm ranting lets use common sense and go back to handball being deliberate, or not, which would save the majority of controversy. Of course "they" won't because that is far too simple.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

For VAR to work effectively, it's needs to be run by a separate entity, and not Riley's old boys club who'll continue to have each other backs come what may. The one thing they're never gonna do is highlight that their mate on the pitch has made a huge mistake, they'd sooner close ranks, blindly agree with him, and compound the mistake. After all, it'll be them in the middle next week and the other chap in the VAR box.

It's a complete farce as it is, it's actually made the game worse, and, while I'm at it, it's high time that refs were miked up so they can explain their "decisions."

No accountability = corruption in my opinion.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is being naïve, there's too much money swilling around the game for there not to be, and everybody wants their slice of the pie.

(I'm in a ranting mood too today, I think Smile )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: