Football Programmes Centre

1920s Press Photos & Postcards To Identify
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1920s Press Photos & Postcards To Identify

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:29 pm 
Post subject: 1920s Press Photos & Postcards To Identify

Hi all

I bought a nice lot of 1920s press photos and postcards a while ago and have managed to identify the majority, but are left with this annoying few, and was hoping that the all the marvellous and talented people on this site might be able to help me out!! Laughing

A long shot I know, and all I know is that they are all from the early-mid 1920s. Any help would be much appreciated. This is actually right in the Pinnace era, and I have checked the excellent Pinnace site but still haven't been able to identify these players.

Thank you so much for your help
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:49 pm 
Post subject: 1920s Press Photos& Postcards To ldentify

Hard to tell from the side view, but the player swinging the golf club looks a bit like Billy Meredith. He was getting on a bit by the 1920s and he did smoke a pipe. Mind you , lots of others did as well. I think some of them even played the game with a pipe in their mouth Laughing
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:06 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks a lot for that, well... it would be nice if it was Billy Meredith!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:14 pm 
Post subject:

There are a few clues - one with BOVRIL at the back - there used to be a Bovril sign at Selhurst Park and The Nest but it's not there. There must be other Bovril signs around.

The action photo has a distinctive stand behind - again, someone might recognise that. Could you email me the jpeg for that one please? I am in touch with many experts!

I'd also love to know who the idiot was with the golf ball on his head! And is that PIMS on the hoarding in the distance?

Finally, do any of these have any press stamps or anything else on their backs?

It's a great collection and I'd love to help if I could.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:51 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, most of the photos have press stamps, I will upload an example. The one I'm including is from the second picture. Some are postcards, which are either blank or just have some writing on the back regarding inserting into magazines, I think. I will email the jpeg of the one you wanted.

It does look like Pim's in the background. Were they a biscuit company?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:37 pm 
Post subject:

Bluebird54 - I am so sorry, I pressed the wrong button and deleted your post by mistake.

Bluebird said the bald player in the action photo is Billy Hardy of Cardiff, probably the finest uncapped half-back of that era. And the other player is Fred Keenor also Cardiff, but that isn't Ninian Park.

My reply was - brilliant, so it's Cardiff away somewhere - that's a great start.

And I deleted that too.

I'm getting too old for this game. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:09 pm 
Post subject:

It's easily done, Pete!

Thanks for all the info so far, much appreciated.
seand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:04 am 
Post subject:

Some great photos. I particularly like the wool knit top in picture 2. Am I the only one who's just a little bit terrified of the golf photo- if you're going to clip a golf ball off the top of a youngster's head it'd be polite to remove your pipe!
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:55 am 
Post subject:

VERY different times, wasn't?!!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:37 pm 
Post subject: 1920s Press Photos& Postcards To ldentify

Wasn’t Craig Bellamy handy with a golf club Laughing
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:15 am 
Post subject:

The action photo above, showing Hardy & Keenor of Cardiff away from home somewhere, looks like it may be at West Ham as I have 2 photos from 1927 at Upton Park (v Spurs) with a similar view in the background as here:-

Cardiff and West Ham played each other from 1920 to 1928 so every chance it's one of those games - both players were at Cardiff from before WW1 to the early 30's.
Bluebird54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:25 am 
Post subject:

The stand construction looks the same with the gap under the roof. Looking more closely at the action photo you can just see where the lighter coloured sleeve joins the darker coloured body which would of course be right for West Ham. According to the Historical Kits Site they wore black socks from 1926-34 albeit with rings on the top which cannot be seen in the photo. Just to clarify my original post said whilst the bald player is certainly Billy Hardy the other Cardiff player was probably not certainly Fred Keenor.
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks for that, it probably is Upton Park, but the most important identification was the Cardiff players as they are the only players that can really be seen Thumbs Up
Bluebird54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:44 pm 
Post subject:

I’ve now looked at the West Ham Complete Guide Book which has 4 photos of that stand so unless someone finds a similar one I think we can be sure that it was Upton Park. My guess would be the game on 31st August 1925 as it seems to be a sunny day and no mud on the players, Hardy and Keenor did not both play in all of the 1920’s fixtures.
The ground with the Bovril advert may be Stamford Bridge as there are photos showing it at the back of the terrace there. I’ve not been able to identify the players in the Chelsea Complete Record Book. They seem to be standing on a gap between grass in the foreground and more grass behind them. Stamford Bridge did of course have a track around it separated from the pitch by a path. Don’t know why the light is behind them unless it’s to stimulate grass growth.
Unless anyone knows of a footballer with a dent in the back of his head the golf one remains a mystery !!
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:00 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting comment about the Bovril sign, will ask a Chelsea collector friend about that.

The one that's really doing my head in personally is the first one at the top, the team group postcard - the shirts are striped, and I really recognise the goalie in the black shirt in the middle but can't place him. Spent hours trying to decipher this team. I'm pretty sure it's a league club, taken 1920-1925 era but that's all I've gleaned so far Sad

Thanks again for everyone's help with these mysteries!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: