Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Gold
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Gold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slugger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am 
Post subject: Sporting Gold

Is the 14 January auction going ahead?.

No online catalogue produced yet.
realred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:10 pm 
Post subject: Sporting gold

Recieved a hard copy yesterday.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:10 pm 
Post subject:

I guess it is going ahead as my paper copy arrived yesterday.
stfc831968

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

I see from the latest market place supplement issued with programme monthly that they are looking to sell the business. There is a full page advert on the back cover asking genuine and interested parties to contact them.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:12 pm 
Post subject:

Will go online at the weekend.
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:52 am 
Post subject:

I received my copy yesterday. Also the news that Sportingold were looking to sell the business. Not surprising after the untimely death of Chris Williams. They were always easy to deal with and efficient. With more and more auctions taking place on-line. There was never this drama about having programmes posted unless you want half a ton of Breedon Books. Some auction houses you have to pay for your winnings and then hire someone to pack and post and pay separately, what a fag.

But. I have noticed a trend for auction houses to start combining lots. Sportingold are by no means alone in this. Two examples that are personal to me. #1130 Four Ilford programmes. I only interested in one of those, so would I bid £55/60 and then have to try and sell the remaining three on eBay and hope to cover my costs plus the commission. No, so in effect they have lost one bid. Also #546 again four programmes £55/60. Would I bid if I needed three or more, perhaps, half don't know, certainly not for one. Again a lost bidder.

Under the old Sports Programmes system of offers. If the minimum offer was £3 and you offered £5 and won you paid £5. Had there been no other bidders you could have bid just £3 and saved £2. To me the jury is still out as to which I prefer.[/img]
Bokbag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:08 am 
Post subject:

New Forest - I agree with your post for similar reasons. I collect cup finals and major tournament programmes. The trend is that anything post 1955 FA Cup for example are lumped together and inevitably go for below actual value. I know in that case they aren’t worth loads but if someone needed say 3 or 4 would they buy 30 years worth? I guess it has its advantages in that you can get a large collection on the cheap and if a seller just wants rid. But if you applied a similar system to other programmes, such as in your example, everyone would be missing out.
kcs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:53 am 
Post subject:

Some valid points made by New Forest and Bokbag, but on the other hand would selling Ilford 50's programmes individually also be a worth while exercise - I assume there must be a minimum amount of £'s per lot in the auction houses mind when they create the catalogues.

I have had the same thing though, bid and won lots including 20+ programmes for the sake of 2/3 needed in the lot. The remaining programmes would struggle to sell on eBay for a £1 each so makes sense to lump them in with some decent stuff to get rid of them.

The dilemma's for us collectors
Laughing

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Enniskillendoc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:20 pm 
Post subject:

I can't see any sign of a catalogue online , either on the Sportingold website or Easyauction.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:16 pm 
Post subject:

Enniskillendoc wrote:
I can't see any sign of a catalogue online , either on the Sportingold website or Easyauction.

Previous poster mentioned it will be online at the weekend
slugger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:16 pm 
Post subject: Sporting Gold

Normally online 2 weeks before auction, so late this time even allowing for the holiday period.
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:41 pm 
Post subject:

Now available online @ sportingoldauctions.co.uk
goonerboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

stfc831968 wrote:
I see from the latest market place supplement issued with programme monthly that they are looking to sell the business. There is a full page advert on the back cover asking genuine and interested parties to contact them.

I dont know much about auction houses, but why would anyone buy one rather than just starting their own ? They have no stock or notable assets as most lease premises. I assume it is just their address book you are buying ?
grantham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:35 pm 
Post subject:

Good trading history, software, fixtures and fittings

Thats off the top of my head
ndg1860

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

Just seen this on their web site. Apologies for the uppercase. That is their text not mine. I hope that whomever takes over will do as good a job.

SPORTINGOLD LIMITED ANNOUNCEMENT

AFTER 20 YEARS OF SUCCESSFUL TRADING IN WHICH WE HAVE ASSISTED COLLECTORS, DEALERS AND VENDORS, WE HAVE DECIDED TO PASS THE CUSTODY OF THIS HIGHLY PROFITABLE COMPANY TO SAFE AND RESPECTED HANDS.

SPORTINGOLD LIMITED ARE VERY PROUD OF OUR REPUTATION AS ONE OF THE LEADING AUCTION HOUSES IN THE SPORTING MARKET AND OUR REPUTATION FOR HONESTY AND INTEGRITY.

THEREFORE IT IS IMPERATIVE TO US THAT THE COMPANY CONTINUES IN THE SAME VEIN.

WE ARE INVITING SERIOUSLY INTERESTED PARTIES TO CONTACT US TO DISCUSS THIS SUPERB OPPORTUNITY.

OUR FINANCIAL YEAR END WILL BE COMPLETED IN APRIL 2022 AND AS SOON AS THE FINAL ACCOUNTS BECOME AVAILABLE, WE WILL BE HAPPY TO PROVIDE THEM TO ANY GENUINELY INTERESTED PARTY.

ONLY GENUINE AND INTERESTED PARTIES TO CONTACT EMMA WILLIAMS IN THE FIRST INSTANCE BY EMAIL ONLY TO [email protected]
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: