Football Programmes Centre

John Sewell RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
John Sewell RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:16 pm 
Post subject: John Sewell RIP

Sad day for Palace fans of a certain age, the man who skippered Palace to our first-ever promotion to Div 1 in 1969, then did his best to keep us there for 2 years, John Sewell, has passed away in California aged 85, after a long struggle with dementia.

Brockley born, a right back who joined Palace from Charlton in October 1963, and after nearly 200 games at the Valley, he made the No 2 shirt his own at Selhurst and played 258 games in all, and was captain for about 4 seasons. Always sartoriously dressed, he was known fondly as "The Duke" in the dressing room and equally fondly as "Shovel" on the terraces. This goal v Leeds, thrown over his shoulder by Gary Sprake in 1970, illustrates that the Palace terraces were right!

https://twitter.com/awmcs/status/1462383290971791367

On leaving Palace, he joined the exodus to Orient in 1971 but only appeared 7 times there, and then also played in the formative NASL, for St Louis Stars, for a couple of seasons. After leaving football he moved to America's West coast and traded as an antique dealer for many years, but was always ready to come home for Palace reunions through the years.

Here he is in action at his old club and against an old teammate at Charlton, Keith Peacock - FA Cup 3, Jan 1969:-

And here as smart as always in 1964:-

RIP Shovel, sorry, John. Never forgotten here at Palace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Alytheeagle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:20 pm 
Post subject:

Sad to hear. My old man was a salesman for a knitwear company and John Sewell was coming close to retirement and was opening up a clothing shop. Imagine my amazement as a young 7 or so year old, when John Sewell and his young lad turned up at our house, then going over to Mitcham common for a game of 3 and in. Priceless memory.
Could you imagine a premiership player retiring now and having to open up a shop to make a living!
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:46 pm 
Post subject:

Even when he was playing he ran a mother and baby shop - prams, baby clothes etc. Think the shop was in Caterham.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

Thinking about it, he may well have had a childrens' clothing shop in the USA, the antique business may have been another old player (Bobby Kellard?). Getting confused in my old age.

Talk of players running businesses after they retired, and the difference between then and now. Well Tom Finney was the "Preston Plumber" while he was playing and ran his business till he dropped. I've had photos of Maurice Norman (Spurs double-winner and 23 England caps) after he'd retired, in the wool shop he'd bought his wife while he was playing, and Ronnie Clayton (Blackburn & 35 England caps) in his newsagents shop after retiring. An old Palace player, and manager for a time, Fred Dawes, also ran a newsagents in Shirley, Croydon after he finally left the club, and I know that because one of my school-mates had a paper round there.

These stories are endless, we must all be aware of some of our old favourites after they retired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
stfc831968

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:22 pm 
Post subject:

Don Rogers is still working in his shop in Swindon aged 76. I believe it opened in the late 60's and i think the club arranged it at the time as a sweetner to keep him at Swindon. As i wasn't born until 1968 i'm not 100% sure that part is correct. If anyone knows different let me know.

colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

Stuart Hicks, ex Colchester United, Scunthorpe United, Leyton Orient and many others played up to the 2000s before moving in to high end menswear retail

https://www.mainlinemenswear.co.uk/about-us/

He was a customer of mine at the bank I worked at in the 1980s, a really nice guy
manutd1977

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

https://www.mickmartinpromotions.co.uk

Old Man Utd etc player Mick Martin in Workwear and promotional items
Met him a few years ago, nice bloke
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: