Football Programmes Centre

Billy Meredith ?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Billy Meredith ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 pm 
Post subject: Billy Meredith ?

Obtained this postcard the other day off a top eBay seller, who comes up with ( to me) some really interesting items. Some on the forum might have noticed it for sale . The seller thinks the great Billy Meredith is in the line-up ,but is not absolutely certain . The ball appears to have CFC 1906 . Could it be Meredith’s old club Chirk? Perhaps he was making a guest appearance for them . Address on the back is a house in Shrewsbury.. Billy was banned from football for a season, 1905-06 . Is this a charity game that he appeared in to keep up his fitness? Seller thinks the player , far left second row is Billy, l think it might be the player second to the left front row. It’s no big deal either way , if it’s not the great man. Just wandering if any forum members can throw any light on this. I think Man Unt Leslie mentioned once that he did see him play Laughing

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
holtie96

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:00 pm 
Post subject: Meredith

Hi there
I placed this item on Twitter for people’s views especially United collectors and they were adamant that it was not Meredith.
Sorry!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:16 pm 
Post subject: Billy Meredith?

Thanks Holtie, as l mentioned , the seller was very honest and wasn’t certain. I thought l’ll buy it and have a closer look. It was only a couple of quid. It’s not a very clear photo, but the strange thing is , he thought the second row player was Billy, but l thought front row man on the left with moustache looked more like him. It’s all just a bit of fun!
holtie96

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:17 pm 
Post subject: Photo

Apologies I think I may have only showed the image on the second row and not the front row! So you never know!
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 pm 
Post subject:

Can't see a toothpick so hard to say...

By the way if you haven't read it then get hold of "Football Wizard - The Story of Billy Meredith" by John Harding - absolutely fantastic book
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:02 am 

That’s a great book Sid. How the hell did Billy ever play running with a toothpick in his mouth? I wonder have any discarded ones ever come up for sale Laughing
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
Can't see a toothpick so hard to say...

By the way if you haven't read it then get hold of "Football Wizard - The Story of Billy Meredith" by John Harding - absolutely fantastic book

Yes a fantastic book. A fascinating football life, with many highs and a few lows too. Loved the descriptions of the old City and United grounds.
New Forest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

If this photograph is from 1905/6 then it cannot be Billy Meredith. He was banned from playing for being involved in bribery. As he was such a well-known player he would have been noticed if playing football, and if so he would then have been banned for life. Also the player is not the captain, presumably he is the one with the ball.

It could be his brother Sam Meredith. He joined Leyton from Stoke in May 1905. Both Sam and Billy played for Chick.

In truth its probably neither as they look a bit like a team further down the line.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:02 pm 

Good points New Forest. I did once see a banned for life player, Tony Kay, playing against West Kirby in a charity game. This was l think the summer of 1966. He was named in the programme as The Mystery Man. If circumstances had been different he could have been playing in a World Cup Final that summer. I love this photo of Meredith
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:16 pm 
Post subject: Meredith

Hi Mr. Pie

Yes I saw Billy play at Portsmouth in his 3rd game for United and FA Cup Debut in 1907-got a photo too.

I have sent you a PM as well

Leslie "Methusala" Millman Laughing Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:45 pm 
Post subject:

Talking of Billy Meredith, I note there are a couple of his items for sale in the next Graham Budd auction, a Wales cap and a handwritten postcard.

https://bidlive.grahambuddauctions.co.uk/auctions/8009/srgrah10031?term=billy+meredith
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
Talking of Billy Meredith, I note there are a couple of his items for sale in the next Graham Budd auction, a Wales cap and a handwritten postcard.

https://bidlive.grahambuddauctions.co.uk/auctions/8009/srgrah10031?term=billy+meredith

I was aware of the Cap as I know the vendor very well and i could have obtained it prior, BUT it is dated 1924 when he had left United 3 years earlier. I suspect it will end up in the Welsh Museum.-CORRECTION IT IS 1909-10-my error, but the same vendor has another one of his caps dated 1924 and i thought that was the one he had put in. As i mentioned I had the opportunity to consider it but i would rather spend that kind of money on something appertaining to Manchester United or Newton Heath when you are talking at that level.

I have started to upload some new items i have very recently obtained from a former United players Family, there are some very interesting and unique programmes and other non programme items that i will add onto the sight before the year is out and that lot will be on a par with what Billys Cap is expected to fetch plus the dreaded 20 odd % on top, besides the Welsh Museum will perhaps want it badly enough as well as some Welsh private collectors and will not be looking to take prisoners over it for sure!

I have a couple of those signed cards already and some nice bits n pieces re Meredith, this is a link to those items but my favorite is HIS original Players Union Cloth Badge that i obtained from one of his relatives some years back via an Auction House. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjv36kjG

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> eBay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: