Football Programmes Centre

Badge Storage Ideas
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Badge Storage Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:48 pm 
Post subject: Badge Storage Ideas

Hi all

I've got around 2000 badges and counting and, very simply, what's the best way to store them? Don't want to spend too much, but at the same time they have to be readily accessible. And I want to avoid plastic coin sheets.

Thanks so much for any ideas.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:00 am 
Post subject:

I use the collectors Albums and coin wallet inserts from WH Smith but they do cost a bit. 25 badges to a page. You could probably get some cheaper on Amazon.
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:24 am 
Post subject:

Thanks very much for the info, I'll look into them Thumbs Up
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm 
Post subject:

Depends if you want to store them or display them.

I've heard people speak about coin wallets, coin trays, display cases, I think the Range sell some form of artists folder with a velvet inlay, corkboards, yoga mats cut then inserted into picture frames, printers blocks boards with glass fronts.

There will be others but some of these are expensive. A Danish collector I know gets cases from America as they are bigger in collecting "pins" and he swears they have more options to display.
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for that, Gresty.

Definitely just storage, as cheap and as cheerful as possible. Was thinking of maybe those DIY nail/screw storage trays that you can stack.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm 
Post subject:

Cheap & cheerful you say?

I'm the king of cheap & cheerful, my 6,000+ badge collection live quite merrily in a bunch of tins that my sweet-toothed, dear old mam saves for me. Costs me the grand total of a deep-sea-diver (£5) every six months for a new supply of a grip bags.

Each badge sits in its own air-tight, sealed grip bag, which protects it from dust, air, heat, damp, moisture & the like, and each grip bag is placed inside the correct tin which protect them from light fading & any other potential hazard. The tins are in genres - World Cups, Newport County, FIFA & UEFA, Supporters' Clubs, etc etc.

This works great for me, I know exactly where each & every badge is should I wish to lay my hands on it.

I have tried numerous things in the past, clear plastic display wallets, medal pouches, plastic coin envelopes, folders, and have never been happy with any of them. Indeed, the thick plastic pouches can 'stick' over time, and one of my plastic pouches tore some enamel off a badge of mine, so after piling them up into a heap & giving them an almighty booting, I threw them out & said "never darken my doorstep again you blackguards."

So I now have a very cheap, very safe method of storage which, in my opinion offers 100% protection.

As for display, I have all my badges on a Flickr site for that, which is perfect as I'm also incredibly lazy ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums

Good luck with whatever you choose, Wimbledon, but I personally wouldn't trust any hard plastic storage that can over time stick to the face of a badge.

Thumbs Up

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United Badges from 1902-03

I have a few Manchester United badges of varying types and i personally like to see them all the time so because i do have the room, they are all on display. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjfvEoTn

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:44 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for that, wiggy, do you really think plastic storage draws will in time stick to badges??

And Leslie, I wish I had the room!
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

Ha ha Leslie, certainly beats my Chinese takeaway tubs, I do the same as Wiggy, bag and photo.

I have to say that is a fantastic collection, must give you a lot of satisfaction.

I pass your flicker site details to United fans when they ask what should I collect, my answer is always the same, collect what you like but this is reaching for the stars....
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

AFC Wimbledon wrote:
Thanks for that, wiggy, do you really think plastic storage draws will in time stick to badges??

Hand on heart buddy, I honestly don't know.

In fairness it was a modern enamel badge & could easily have been just a shoddy production (probably was). Many, many badge collectors use hard-plastic coin envelopes without a problem, so the chances are it was down to it being a badge production error.

All I know is, once was enough to convince me to ditch the whole shebang & leave them "loose" inside a grip bag from thereon, determined to avoid anything that sits taught against the face of the badge.

Last edited by littlewiggy on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

GrestytheLion wrote:
Ha ha Leslie, certainly beats my Chinese takeaway tubs, I do the same as Wiggy, bag and photo.

I have to say that is a fantastic collection, must give you a lot of satisfaction.

I pass your flicker site details to United fans when they ask what should I collect, my answer is always the same, collect what you like but this is reaching for the stars....

Reach for the stars, indeed!
Just Leslie's badges alone are a stunning collection, despite being about 1% of his awesome collection of United treasure.

The pic of my badge tins was taken about three years ago, and I must confess, that stack of tins is now almost twice as big! Still takes up less room than a decade's worth of modern programmes though, although I do risk putting my back out every time I move the sods to hoover!!

Smile Nod

Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm 
Post subject:

WH Smiths 'collecting system' coin pages for me.

Must have spent a fortune on them over the years, but I buy as I need them, which spreads the cost (they weren't like a mass purchase) and I think they look smart.

What I really need is a bookcase of shelves to really set them up chronologically and finish off the organisation of them all.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

GrestytheLion wrote:

Thank You for the Kind words much appreciated!

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:54 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
GrestytheLion wrote:

Just Leslie's badges alone are a stunning collection, despite being about 1% of his awesome collection of United treasure.

The pic of my badge tins was taken about three years ago, and I must confess, that stack of tins is now almost twice as big! Still takes up less room than a decade's worth of modern programmes though, although I do risk putting my back out every time I move the sods to hoover!!

Smile Nod

-Thanks for the Kind words but i am not sure everyone feels that way Laughing we both said it b4 and we will both say it again f@@k em!

GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:07 am 
Post subject:

AFC Wimbledon wrote:

It normally only affects soft enamel badges which are basically painted on, anything that sticks to that style, the paint will sometimes peel away. Hard enamel are fine as a rule.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I think you're spot on buddy, it was a new badge that was affected, a Newport County crest wearing a Santa hat if I recall, because I had to buy a replacement sharpish before the buggers sold out. So, it was almost certainly soft enamel as you say.

You can imagine my dismay when I took it out of the hard-plastic pouch and the pouch was still wearing the ruddy Santa hat!

Very Happy

Valky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

https://lapelsbadges.com/storage.htm
I have 3,000 badges and would suggest getting 4 of the largest pin trader bags.
These are portable, avoid scratching, are good for storage and new badges are easiest to add.
Downsides: if you want to permanently display badges then I would suggest buying some display cases - but even these are not great as it all depends on the size of your badges!
To protect them store them inside a cupboard (or recycle a tin as previously suggested!)
Best wishes
Superblue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:25 pm 
Post subject:

Seasidave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:48 am 
Post subject: Re: Badge Storage Ideas

AFC Wimbledon wrote:
Hi all

I've got around 2000 badges and counting and, very simply, what's the best way to store them? Don't want to spend too much, but at the same time they have to be readily accessible. And I want to avoid plastic coin sheets.

Thanks so much for any ideas.

I used two metal Bisley cabinets to store over 1700 badges. Lined the draws with neat card/foam inserts. Easy access and great for sorting the badges into sections. They did do 20/25 draw cabinets but I think they are down to 15 draws nowadays. You can get them in various colours and there is an insert at the front of each draw so you can state what’s in each draw. Either way ideal for storage and I thoroughly recommend this method.

CLICK ON THE MENU TOP RIGHT FOR BADGES; http://www.blackpoolfootballclubbadges.co.uk/home-page/4534262062
East Lower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:01 am 
Post subject:

Seasidave, that is a brilliant suggestion Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: