Football Programmes Centre

Hibs to stop producing programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hibs to stop producing programmes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Scottish Premier. (Who is producing)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm 
Post subject: Hibs to stop producing programmes

Geordie Ian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

Disgusting
henrytheheart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm 
Post subject:

All very odd. Curtis Sports sold season long subscriptions for £95, so subscribers will surely be due a partial refund with one free issue of the new magazine hardly fair compensation? At the same time Hibs women for their game against Hearts women at the end of September produced their first ever paper programme.

I fear that we are on a slippery slope if Hibs, who have a fine history of producing in the main excellent issues, are taking this step.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 pm 
Post subject:

Feel very sorry indeed for Hibs supporters but this feels like the beginning of the end to me.
We've already got several clubs in the English Championship that aren't producing anymore.
Lots of non-league clubs only produce on-line editions which feel incredibly pointless to me, when I went to Hendon on Saturday rather more people seemed to be interested in paying for a teamsheet for 50p rather than the programme for £2.50...

Wondering if the decision was taken on how many they sell at the game? I don't see as many people buying programmes nowadays as I used to when I was younger.
Space, lack of, and the price of programmes a big contributing factor these days.

Hard for me to admit this and I'll most likely be shot down in flames BUT collecting football programmes is really an old blokes hobby, take a look at the demographic next time you're at a programme fair, I always thought how bad it was when I went to cigarette and postcard collector fairs... Sad
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

If anything, it's at non-league level where the issuing of programmes is flourishing. Clubs who don't have the "social media presence" of the 'bigger' clubs and, accordingly, see the point in making the effort. They also see it as a way of 'advertising' the club - something the EFL clubs don't need to do.

It's over a year since Derby last issued a programme and, if I was to be honest, I can't say I miss it. There was little of interest to me in it anyway, other than the historical article. It became, since about 1999, a tick box exercise to say I had the programme.
Wasn't like that back in the 70s/80s when I would read every word - but that was the only source of information (especially living 300 miles away).

I still get the aways but this season the standard (other than Sheffield Utd) seems to have markedly dropped. Even at West Brom, who you could always rely on for a terrific issue. The issue for the Peterboro away was possibly the worst programme I've ever seen. Just dire.

The death knell for making programmes collectible arrived when they expanded beyond 32 pages.
Ask yourself - if you were, say, 15 yrs old now, would you start collecting these expensive behemoths?
ndg1860

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:22 pm 
Post subject:

You are correct Derby. For two of the past three non-league games I have been to, those being last Saturday and tonight, all the programmes were sold out. Tonight for a Step 9 game the programme was £2 and yet it was still gone by kickoff. I agree that non-league are actually thriving while higher up they are disappearing. Personally, I am really considering stopping my collection at the end of this season as many more will join the bandwagon year by year and it will just seem incomplete. Perhaps, just the home games only.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:44 am 
Post subject:

To stop producing programmes seems to me a logical step, although sad, its a legacy from a past era, when news about your club was only gained via the club programme or newspaper, now every man and his dog has a smart phone.
The fact is in the modern world folk can't function without one, so the logical step would be to move over to that medium totally, everything on line. All clubs have website's with video interviews, highlights, the team for today as soon as its available, twitter feeds of the match even for the smallest of clubs, details of the reserves and youth covered in depth.
Sadly in reality there is no need for a match day programme, I bet people don't even follow the local paper for news as much as they once did.
Its like the football pink on a Saturday night much loved and not forgotten, but the programmes time has come and gone.
Perhaps a free team sheets for those who want one might ease the passing.
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

Some excellent points made on this thread, which makes a pleasant change on this topic.... Normally when this sort of post is made on FB or on here it is met with the same old comments about clubs not being worried about collectors and that if a non-league can do it.... Blah Blah Blah....

Nice to see some valid points that the match day programme we collect is no longer as needed as it once was!
Like others, it has now become a tick box exercise for me, I don't even read them!

As a collector it's a shame that a club doesn't produce - but I get it, it makes sense.

Interested to see why it is disgusting Ian?

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Merseman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

Bit of a shock for Scottish collectors: as historically Hibs produced amongst the best programmes going, get 4th biggest crowd in league and cultivates reputation as 'closer' to their fanbase than others.

If they're calling-it-quits... nobody's programme is safe.

Leaves bitter taste to do it this way: no historical sign-offs, commemorative last edition, etc.

They might've carried-on until New Year i.e.
v Dundee Utd, Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Dundee, Aberdeen, Hearts.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

This is a symptom of leaving the programmes in the hands of media departments who are more interested in podcasts, video content, twitter etc. Remove the responsibility from them, and place it in the hands of people who actually care about it. I believe the Sons Trust for example produce the Dumbarton programme, not the club.

The fact is, it should be realatively straightforward to make money from a programme if you care enough about it. Make it essential for people to buy again. For every Hibs, there's an Aberdeen who have produced a great programmes for years and I believe sells well, because it is worth buying. I believe their Historical Trust are heavily involved in it.

There is also the "German/Scandanavian" model where the programmes are free (or minimal cost) paid for by the advertisers. Yes, advert heavy but still has the basic content and the advertisers benefit by wider distribution, because it's free.

Poor show from Hibs, they just don't care enough.
hibernian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

Merseman wrote:
Bit of a shock for Scottish collectors: as historically Hibs produced amongst the best programmes going, get 4th biggest crowd in league and cultivates reputation as 'closer' to their fanbase than others.

If they're calling-it-quits... nobody's programme is safe.

Leaves bitter taste to do it this way: no historical sign-offs, commemorative last edition, etc.

They might've carried-on until New Year i.e.
v Dundee Utd, Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Dundee, Aberdeen, Hearts.

Hibs hierarchy says that interest is waning . That’s not surprising when you can’t buy the programme at the game ! You can only buy through Curtis Sport website, so no match day sales at the stadium
It’s a convenient excuse to get rid of programmes under the guise of
The greenest club in Scotland...
Hibs had a great tradition of producing quality issues. The programmes from 49/50 to 55/6 were exceptional with the photos on the front cover.
Sadly it looks like programmes, which have been issued since 1926, are now consigned to history
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:54 am 
Post subject:

Poor show, complete disrespect of fans not just collectors.
Football programmes are part of the matchday experience.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:13 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
This is a symptom of leaving the programmes in the hands of media departments who are more interested in podcasts, video content, twitter etc. Remove the responsibility from them, and place it in the hands of people who actually care about it. I believe the Sons Trust for example produce the Dumbarton programme, not the club.

The fact is, it should be realatively straightforward to make money from a programme if you care enough about it. Make it essential for people to buy again. For every Hibs, there's an Aberdeen who have produced a great programmes for years and I believe sells well, because it is worth buying. I believe their Historical Trust are heavily involved in it.

There is also the "German/Scandanavian" model where the programmes are free (or minimal cost) paid for by the advertisers. Yes, advert heavy but still has the basic content and the advertisers benefit by wider distribution, because it's free.

Poor show from Hibs, they just don't care enough.

Looking at the announcement on the Hibs website, the contacts are listed as the Head of Communication and the Head of Digital and Content. Both joined the club just 4 months ago with no previous connections to Hibs, their Linkedin profiles show them as being in their mid twenties and completely focussed on digital media

There is an inevitable generational shift going on here - as younger men and women take on these positions the likelihood that a club like Hibs will retain programmes is rapidly dwindling as there is no one left in their media teams who cares about print media any more.

Twentysomethings don't buy programmes so it's a bit naïve to think they would be interested in producing them
Merseman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:00 pm 
Post subject:

Nice full-page article on back page of today's Scotland on Sunday on the demise of programmes in general and of Hibs programme in particular.
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

Have Hibs stopped producing yet?
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:59 pm 
Post subject:

Hibernian v St Johnstone 26/9/2021 appears to be the final hardcopy issue.
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:20 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
Hibernian v St Johnstone 26/9/2021 appears to be the final hardcopy issue.

That's what l heard but l saw this and it is a reputable seller.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265124661951
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

Certainly not listed on Curtis Sports website, the previous publisher. Nothing on Hibernian website, a lot of refunds to be given if nothing is produced.Actually only 10 of those 22 sales refer to the Hibernian v Rangers programme.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:37 pm 
Post subject: Hibs

The guy selling the Hibs v Rangers programme has a terrible amount of negatives and neutrals despite his percentage.
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: Hibs

Leigh Treymaine wrote:
The guy selling the Hibs v Rangers programme has a terrible amount of negatives and neutrals despite his percentage.

I've only ever had positives with him but i'm certain he has made a mistake with this one and he intended to buy a load of programmes to sell on ebay.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Scottish Premier. (Who is producing) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: