Football Programmes Centre

Football League 1941-42
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football League 1941-42

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:23 pm 
Post subject: Football League 1941-42

Evening All.

Looking for a little information on the 1941-42 wartime season if anyone can help?

The Northern Regional League and the London League were played over an equal number of games, however, the South League saw all teams playing a different number of games. The question is were the league winners the team with the most points or the team with the best average points per game?

Secondly, how was the qualifying rounds of the Football League War Cup determined? I am aware that teams generally played each other home and away but were teams divided into separate leagues or was it a free-for-all with the teams securing the most points qualifying for the knock-out rounds?

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 pm 
Post subject:

Hi GBW,

The Southern League was won by Leicester City with av pts of 26.4 from 17 games
Runners up WBA 26.3 pts from 13 games.

As for the war cup looks like both north and south played a preliminary round single leg
1939/40, before two legs for the rest, but split north and south until the final.

1940/41 was similar., with the addition of the London Cup two groups A&B

1941/42 the north continued the same the final over two legs, the south however moved to 4 groups a one off game semi and final, and there was no final between the winners of north and south.

1942/43 same as above

1943/44 same again

1944/45 same again

1945/46 went back to split north and south but 2 legged ties until the sixth round, semi a single tie same for final.

How teams were selected for the preliminary I have no idea, I hope bits I have got wrong others will fill in the details.

1943/44
ndg1860

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 am 
Post subject:

One thing I will add is that for the 43-44 and 44-45 seasons, the League Cup South was not something decided at the commencement of the season but much later. That is, when viewing the early season programmes there are no LCS games set and so a slew of games ended up being postponed to later in the season when the LCS games were finally set.

Also, the 45/46 season appears to have terminated on 1 Jan 46. The FA Cup was already in swing and a Cup competition commenced thereafter for the League as well. QPR ended up playing 53 matches that season, finishing with the loss in the replay against Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic in the Division 3 (South) Cup Semi-Final.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: