Football Programmes Centre

Some Irish stuff, a random thread
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Some Irish stuff, a random thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:12 pm 
Post subject: Some Krishna stuff, a random thread

Seand, with mention of Dixie Dean and Sligo and all that, here’s a photo of him behind the bar at The Dublin Packet in the 1950s . I wonder where those international caps and medals ended up? I remember someone saying the pub was a bit of a dive. Was too young to have ever drank there, but was taken in to meet Dixie as a kid. I think it was generally what a lot of pubs used to look like in post- war Britain.
seand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 am 
Post subject:

Great picture. Thumbs Up
Certainly looks like international caps and possibly medals just stuck up behind the bar! Can't see Harry Kane retiring to run a pub, with his caps and medals hung on nails behind the bar.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:47 am 
Post subject: Some Irish stuff, a random thread

Seand, l remember my dad taking Dixie’s whole collection of medals on a visit to Dublin, early 1960s. A relative over there wanted to see them. By this time, Dixie had left The Dublin Packet and was working as a porter at Littlewoods’ Pools , Birkenhead. Littlewoods’ owner, Sir John Moore’s , looking after his boyhood hero! As you can see, Dixie didn’t make a great deal of money from being English football’s greatest goalscorer. That seems to have been the case with a lot those great old players. Don’t know if it’s true, but the story at Everton in the 1930s was that fans would ask at the gate “ is Dixie playing today?” If he wasn’t , they wouldn’t bother going in.. Dixie just kept the medals in an old brown bag. He was a living legend, but didn’t seem at all bothered by all that stuff. I think you will have this 1964 Dundalk FC photo. They played in European Cup 1963-64 . FC Zurich knocked them out, but they won the away leg 2-1. First team from Eire to win away in Europe . Michael Dalton, front row, was a distant relative . He was a lovely bloke who used to take me to watch him when he played for Dublin team ,Bohemians. I think Leeds Unt were looking to sign him early 1960s , but nothing came of it. One of those people that you still miss!
seand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks, you mentioned Mick Dalton to me previously, nice to see the picture.

Here's his record for his one season at Dundalk
1963-64
League 14 appearances + 4 goals,
FAI Cup 1+0,
European Cup 2+0,
Shield 11+4,
other comps 9+3

And while we're here the programme covers from the 2 European Cup games v Zurich. First leg was played in Dalymount Park as Oriel Park didn't have floodlights (they were installed ahead of our second Euro outing v Vasas in 1967). Dundalk borrowed a local club's red jerseys to avoid a colour clash. Zurich won comfortably 3-0.

Nice programme, not exactly rare, but not always easy to find

The away leg was another story, Dundalk raced into a 2-0 lead, hit the bar and went on to win 2-1 and lose on aggregate. The programme is the rarest of all Dundalk's programmes in Europe. (The home games v Rangers 68-9 and Liverpool 69-70 might cost more but this is certainly the hardest one to find)

seand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: Some Irish stuff, a random thread

Flaming Pie wrote:
Seand, l remember my dad taking Dixie’s whole collection of medals on a visit to Dublin, early 1960s. A relative over there wanted to see them. By this time, Dixie had left The Dublin Packet and was working as a porter at Littlewoods’ Pools , Birkenhead. Littlewoods’ owner, Sir John Moore’s , looking after his boyhood hero! As you can see, Dixie didn’t make a great deal of money from being English football’s greatest goalscorer. That seems to have been the case with a lot those great old players. Don’t know if it’s true, but the story at Everton in the 1930s was that fans would ask at the gate “ is Dixie playing today?” If he wasn’t , they wouldn’t bother going in.. Dixie just kept the medals in an old brown bag. He was a living legend, but didn’t seem at all bothered by all that stuff. I think you will have this 1964 Dundalk FC photo. They played in European Cup 1963-64 . FC Zurich knocked them out, but they won the away leg 2-1. First team from Eire to win away in Europe . Michael Dalton, front row, was a distant relative . He was a lovely bloke who used to take me to watch him when he played for Dublin team ,Bohemians. I think Leeds Unt were looking to sign him early 1960s , but nothing came of it. One of those people that you still miss!

You might not notice it here but this photo includes one of Dundalk's most famous players, Jimmy Hasty, back row second from left. Hasty only had one arm, a result of a work accident when he was in his teens. His is a really fascinating story, it's covered here in The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/13/the-forgotten-story-of-jimmy-hasty-irish-football-one-armed-wonder

A Belfast man, sadly he was a victim of The Troubles in the north and was murdered in 1974 by the UVF.
There's a famous story of a photo in one of the national papers shortly after he joined Dundalk. Apparently the art team at the paper assumed his missing arm was a result of a misprint or an error developing the image, and duly painted in another arm for him! I've never seen the image but I'm assured it happened.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:00 pm 
Post subject: Some Irish stuff, a random thread

Seand, just read the article on Jim Hasty. What a tragic story. He seemed an incredible man to overcome his disability and become an outstanding player. Interesting that Nottingham Forest were looking to sign him..Can’t go into detail here, but Michael also had a tragic death. Perhaps you know the details . I did have some press photos that Michael sent me from the away leg in Zurich. I sent them to his family. I think they received them! I posted a photo on this forum some time ago of Robert Schlienz. He lost an arm during the war, but still became a top player in post - war Germany, winning four titles with VfB Stuttgart.
overlap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:27 pm 
Post subject:

Something to keep this interesting thread kicking along.
A few years ago I found this item tucked inside a Celtic programme I had bought at auction.
It is in a distressed state, but given it appears to be from 1938, I wondered if Irish experts such as Sean or Gary could give some light on what the match was about?
Is it a Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland type fixture?
It is a four page fold over programme (and rather tattered by now).

seand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:54 am 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
Something to keep this interesting thread kicking along.
A few years ago I found this item tucked inside a Celtic programme I had bought at auction.
It is in a distressed state, but given it appears to be from 1938, I wondered if Irish experts such as Sean or Gary could give some light on what the match was about?
Is it a Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland type fixture?
It is a four page fold over programme (and rather tattered by now).

Well that was a nice little bonus! It's an inter-league game, the Irish League is/was the league in Northern Ireland (and is still shorthand for the recently rebranded Northern Ireland Foortball League), the League of Ireland in the Republic of Ireland league.
From the late 30s to the 50s they often played each other twice a season, St Patricks Day in Dublin and often Easter Saturday in Belfast. I expect the programme is quite rare, it's not in my collection anyway! The Irish League won this one 3-1 incidentally
overlap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 am 
Post subject:

Hello Sean, thanks for getting back, with that interesting information. Nice to have the history of the fixture.
As mentioned it was tucked inside a Celtic friendly from the Irish Republic in the 1950s that I bought at auction many years ago.
Also, I note that the 1938 programme - as you can see is on its last legs - was given away free at the game, which would have been quite unusual I would have thought.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:45 pm 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
Great picture. Thumbs Up
Certainly looks like international caps and possibly medals just stuck up behind the bar! Can't see Harry Kane retiring to run a pub, with his caps and medals hung on nails behind the bar.

Did he win any medals yet? as he is still at Tottenham Laughing maybe in January when he moves up North, so in time he will pick up something along the way.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
seand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
seand wrote:
Great picture. Thumbs Up

Did he win any medals yet? as he is still at Tottenham Laughing maybe in January when he moves up North, so in time he will pick up something along the way.

Very Happy yeh, it won't take much of a presentation case to display his medals anyway!
seand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

Here's another rare and unusual League of Ireland interleague game, this one an unofficial match against the USA national team in 1952. I'm not sure what the story was with this game, must go have a look

overlap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:54 am 
Post subject:

That USA game v League of Ireland was on a Friday. Two days earlier the USA team had played Scotland at Hampden Park and lost 0-6.
The games were to give the Americans some practise for their Olympic Games preliminary game against Italy later that summer in Finland.
However it didn't go very well as the USA lost 0-8 to the Italians.
I don't know what the result was v the LoI XI ?
Merseman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
That USA game v League of Ireland was on a Friday. Two days earlier the USA team had played Scotland at Hampden Park and lost 0-6.
The games were to give the Americans some practise for their Olympic Games preliminary game against Italy later that summer in Finland.
However it didn't go very well as the USA lost 0-8 to the Italians.
I don't know what the result was v the LoI XI ?

League of Ireland 4-0 United States of America
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:10 am 
Post subject:

Slightly off kilter but would anyone know the date for this Distillery v Glentoran Irish Cup 1st Rd game?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
seand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

We've done Sligo in Europe, so I'm gonna move down the N4 to the midlands. Longford Town joined the league in 1984 and were founder members of the First Division in 1986. Here’s a programme from their first season.

They stayed there until 2000 when a dynamic 26-year-old manager took over. Stephen Kenny led Longford to their first promotion in 2000 and their first FAI Cup final in 2001, where they lost to double winning Bohemians., qualifying for the UEFA Cup.

The club and its supporters effectively upgraded their stadium by adding a couple of thousand seats so they could host the European tie in Longford (and it remains one of the neater grounds by the very modest standards of the league)
Anyway, Litex Lovech of Bulgaria provided the opposition. Longford drew 1-1 at home but lost 2-0 away, I don’t know of any programme for the away leg.

Longford established themselves in the Premier and stayed there til 2007, they were back in the Premier in 2015, 2016 and 2021. While Stephen Kenny moved on to Bohemians Alan Mathews led them to back-to-back FAI Cup wins in 2003 and 2004 with the League Cup also won in 2004. (I must do a blitz on scanning FAI Cup final programmes).

Winning the 2003 cup brought European football and perennial Liechtenstein cup winners Vaduz (who play in the upper reaches of the Swiss league). Longford lost 3-2 at home and 1-0 away

The following season they were back in the UEFA Cup, and a short trip to Wales to play Carmarthen. Longford won the first leg 2-0. Carmarthen’s ground wasn’t deened up to standard so they moved to Newtown. (In a sign of the times Newtown had to move their Euro game against Dundalk to TNS’s ground in Oswestry this year.) The change of venue did Carmarthen no harm as they stormed to a stunning 5-1 win, having trailed 3-0 on aggregate early on.

Longford are on their way down this year, relegated with 5 games to go, they’re over 20 points behind everyone else.
HendonHotshots

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:04 pm 
Post subject:

Came across this account on Twitter

Not sure if it’s linked to one of the posters on this thread but if not looks relevant to the discussion

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishFootProg
seand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:04 am 
Post subject:

I've let this thread stagnate, so a couple of really nice programme covers to restart

From Cork City's trip to Valur in Iceland in the Intertoto Cup in 2007, a glorious photo from Valur's greatest day, a 0-0 draw with the mighty Benfica in the 1968-69 European Cup first round (the second leg was 8-1). It'd be fair to say it was packed to the rafters!

And this is Dinamo Minsk v Bohemians in the 96-7 UEFA Cup

seand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 pm 
Post subject:

Ok, I'm going to take on the not inconsiderable task of trying to summarise the history of League of Ireland football in Cork. Ireland's second city has a dysfunctional relationship with its football teams! Anyway, from the top,

1920s - 1930s
the first Cork club to join the league after it's formation in 1921 were the Ford factory works team Fordsons, who made it to the 1924 FAI Cup final as a non-league team and joined the league in 1924. There's a programme for the 24 cup final which I don't have, £1 offered if anyone has a spare copy Laughing
No known issues for Fordsons home game bar one friendly. They won the cup in 1926 and were competitive in the league. In 1930 the League of Ireland team split off from the Ford factory team, and renamed to Cork FC. Cork were runners-up in 31-2, won the cup in 34 and were competitive for several season before running into financial trouble and folding during the 37-8 season. A new club was formed, the first LoI Cork City [I] (but not the first ever Cork City FC!) to take up Cork's fixtures.
Programmes exist for Cork FC/ Cork City, but not in my collection!
Also during the 30s Cork Bohemians were league members from 1932-34. At least one Cork Bohs programme exists, for a testimonial.
seand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

League of Ireland football in Cork, continued

1940s - 1950s
In what was alredy becoming a familiar pattern Cork City folded during the 39-40 season and were immediately replaced by a new club, Cork United [I]. United were hugely successful, winning 5 league titles in 6 years, 2 FAI Cups, 2 Shields and various other silverware. United issued programmes regularly, I don't have any home issues in my collection, but here's an away game at Bohemians

In the finest tradition of Cork football Cork United duly went bust in October 1948, after completing the early season City Cup and part of the Shield. A new club Cork Athletic took up the mantle. Athletic won back-to-back league titles in 49-50 and 50-1, the double in 51 actually, and another cup in 53 before.... you guessed it.... hitting financial diffculties as the 50s progressed.
Athlletic issued regular programmes. Here's a home programme from the 50-1 double season, and the 52 cup final programme, a game they lost to Dundalk

Athletic folded in 1957.
Meanwhile Evergreen United joined the league in 1951. The 1953 cup final was an Athletic v Evergreen derby. Evergreen issued regular home programmes, I have at least one somewhere, but not on Flickr it seems. In 1959 they changed their name to Cork Celtic at the start of the season. I'm not sure if this was another convenient move to side-step debts, but it caught Dundalk's printers on the hop!

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: