Football Programmes Centre

Gaffes At Football Matches.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gaffes At Football Matches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:24 am 
Post subject: Gaffes At Football Matches.

Has anyone witnessed or been involved in gaffes made at a football match?? I can remember two in particular.

1. I went to watch, I think it was a U17 International match at Briton Ferry.
The game was Wales U17 v New Zealand U17. Before the match started, the teams lined up in respect of the National anthems. Welsh National anthem, no problem, when it came to the New Zealand National Anthem, there was a lot of unrest and unease amongst the young New Zealand players and the coaching staff. The announcer playing the disc over the tannoy system had decided to play the Australian National Anthem!!!! I was told afterwards, the reason for him playing the Australian one, was because the New Zealand Anthem was not on the disc, and thought, as Australia is the nearest Country, he would play that!!!

2. I was involved in, but not responsible for this incident. The game was Inter Cable-Tel v Gorica in the UEFA Cup, home at Leckwith Stadium. I was kit manager, and completed my duties, and was wandering about the Stadium. Someone on the Inter committee came up to me and asked me to do a favour. 'Can you go over to the flag pole and turn the flag the right way around'. Thinking this would be an easy task, I agreed to do the task.
When I got to the flag pole and started to lower the flag, a small group of Gorica supporters began throwing objects and spitting at me!!!
Apparently, the flag, when upside down, is the same as the Croatian flag!!! The flag did not have the small ensigns on it that you see today. Apparently, though I did not know it at the time, this is a great insult to any Country that this happens to!!
It cost the Inter committee a lot of money in beers for me to get over that one!!

Interested to hear from others.
farmersboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:52 am 
Post subject:

On the subject of flags, back in the 70's, when I was about 15, I was recruited by the chairman of the supporters club to put up the flags on the 4 corners of the stands of Fratton Park on match days. This entailed leaning an extension ladder against the side of the stand, holding the rope and the flag (no hands left to hold on to the ladder!) and pulling it up. on one particularly windy day, the flag got to half way then wrapped itself round the pole so firmly that I couldn't shift it. Afterwards the directors asked, who had died.

On another windy day, the flag had 3 hours to wrap itself round the pole. I was balanced precariously on top of the ladder, struggling with all my might, when club legend and then groundsman, Duggie Reid, walked by. He looked up, gave me a look of disgust, then walked on.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:02 am 
Post subject: Gaffes At Football Matches

Before a World Cup Qualifier in Melbourne in 1985 Australia v lsrael , the two teams stood on the pitch waiting for the anthems to be played. To a stunned lsrael team, someone had decided to play them the German national anthem!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:04 am 
Post subject:

The 2012 Olympics began in Glasgow with a womens' football match between North Korea and Colombia. Hampden Park's screen showed images of the North Koreans against a South Korean flag. They stormed off the pitch and could only be persuaded they should play when they were convinced it was just a human error, and not an insidious plot to unnerve and insult them. They won 2-0.

And the error was by the Olympic people in London, who sent the wrong details to Hampden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
martino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:43 am 
Post subject:

Plymouth 7 v 1 Preston 22nd August 1962.

The side netting on one of the goals had not been properly secured.

One of the Plymouth goals from an acute angle clearly went through the gap and into the net. Those of us in the crowd right behind the shot clearly saw the side netting ripple at the ball went through the gap.

Both the ref and the linesman missed it and a goal was given despite the Preston keeper standing right next to the post and watching the ball go wide!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:58 pm 
Post subject:

Dodgy netting & stanchions........... who'd be a Palace fan?

Palace v someone early 70's (Ipswich, Birmingham or Forest maybe? I can't recall which). Steve Kember scored but it went in through a gap in the side netting. Goal given but keeper & defenders protested and a goal kick awarded.

Shrewsbury v Palace 16.4.1977. Ball crossed beyond far post, Jeff Bourne met it with a sizzling volley into the top corner, goal given, players went back to the middle to re-start. Referee noticed lino with flag up. Goes to speak to him, lino revealed gaping hole at top of the side netting. But did the ball actually go through it? Goal kick given. D1-1.

Coventry v Palace 6.9.1980. New signing Clive Allen takes a free kick outside the box, bangs it into the top corner, ball hits stanchion and rebounds back onto the pitch. Referee waves play on. L1-3.

Bristol City v Palace 15.8.2009. On loan Freddie Sears buries a close-range shot into the bottom corner, ball hits the stanchion and rebounds out. The referee waves play on. Even the City players had stopped while the Palace players celebrated. Only 2 men in the whole ground thought it wasn't a goal - ref & lino. Palace boss Neil Warnock was apoplectic. Poor old Freddie never scored for Palace in 18 appearances. City scored in 89th minute. L0-1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:42 pm 
Post subject:

Not quite the same level but I was reffing the Ford Six a side league and a shot fizzed in and, to my eyes, just wide.

Ball ended up behind the netted goal, so goalie trotted off and collected it and was about to boot it up to the half way line....Goal kick I signalled and called. I turned around to see both teams lined up for a kick off....

Now the one thing I learned early as a young referee was that changing your mind in a game leads to bedlam as then every decision is up for debate...so I insisted it was a goal kick despite the protests.

After the game the keeper fessed up it had gone in and through a poorly fixed net ( must be an Argyle thing!!).

the team that suffered won comfortably so all ended well and they subsequently invited me to join them on an inter company trip to Germany to play their counterparts, paid for by Ford, to be their referee, during which trip apart from running the line whilst drinking a glass of lager, I was also party to a night club in Germany halting the evening to present us with free Champagne as "Tottenham Hotspur reserves" on a pre season tour! But thats another story!
overlap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:05 pm 
Post subject:

Chelsea v Ipswich 1970/71.
Alan Hudson's shot goes past the post, hits the stanchion without entering the net, and bounces back out, but the referee gives a goal.

It can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFeKOTEFsYQ

The biggest gaffe I have personally witnessed was in Stuttgart at the 2006 World Cup game, Australia v Croatia, when the hapless Graham Poll gave three yellow cards to Simunic before finally sending him off.
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:44 pm 
Post subject:

I have a couple, a cold Friday night at Colchester, Wayne Goodison hit the stanchion with a real piledriver, referee didn't see it and I think his only goal for Crewe was chalked off, though we still beat the U's 4-1 that night.

The second, I was in the office, went down for a coffee with my mate who is a big Watford fan. He was going on that the night before they had won through a dodgy penalty. With that game being on sky the night before an apparently dodgy lino had flagged for a penalty when it was several yards outside the box.Sky took great pleasure in proving that it was yards outside and that it was a major incident. Whilst Q'ing I saw another friend who I had worked with across the years. Asked him how he was doing to which he replied not so great, he'd had a bad evening the night before, to which the Watford fan replied, not as bad as the clown we saw last night who'd awarded a dodgy penalty.
At that point I thought I better introduce the two, the Watford fan met last nights dodgy lino.
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:41 pm 
Post subject:

Another gaffe, but down to myself this time. Again, I was kit manager for Inter Cardiff in a Welsh Cup game. We had to change from our normal kit, to avoid there being a colour clash. Our change of kit was all yellow. For some reason, one of the players shorts with numbers on the right leg was missing. I had a spare pair, but did not have any number on it. The referee was adament that the game could not go ahead until the shorts had a number on it. Frantically, I searched my car for the shorts, but could not find them.
By now, I was freaking out, having a game possibly called off thanks to me. I then saw one of my kids felt pens in the back of the car on the floor. I picked it up and ran to the changing rooms I was based in, and very neatly coloured in the missing number on the shorts. The referee was satisfied that the number was now on the shorts, I gave the shorts to the player and thankfully and eventually the game kicked off.
Everything was alright up the the first half. The players came out for the second half and during the game an almighty rain storm burst all its contents over the players and pitch. The player with the drawn on figure on his shorts, had the whole of his right side of his leg black with running felt pen!!!
Luckily, everyone concerned, including the player saw the funny side of it, but I wasn't allowed to forget about the incident for a very long time!!
I hadn't checked if it was apermanent felt marker, because I was panicking and just glad to have found something.
das

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

An old one from Partick Thistle v Dundee Utd. Utd score but the ball comes back out from the back of the goal and a Thistle player catches it and hands it to the keeper. The ref waves play on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuLtLXl7FI
andy jess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

Biggest gaffe I ever saw was Winston Bogarde turning out for Chelsea!!
4 year contract at £40,000 per week wages. Total appearances 9.
He would not be tranferred, he insisted in seeing out his contract even when made to train with the youth team.
And the bottom line is, although a Dutch international (God knows how), he could trap a ball further than i could kick it.
seand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:05 am 
Post subject:

I was at a Cobh Ramblers v Dundalk League of Ireland First Division match 15 or so years ago. After announcing the teams the PA guy went on to give what was supposed to be your standard anti-racism message. Except he stated categorically that Cobh Ramblers would not tolerate anti-racism
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
I was at a Cobh Ramblers v Dundalk League of Ireland First Division match 15 or so years ago. After announcing the teams the PA guy went on to give what was supposed to be your standard anti-racism message. Except he stated categorically that Cobh Ramblers would not tolerate anti-racism

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That one made me laugh out loud.

You could probably do a whole other thread on PA gaffes, and a couple of intentional ones spring to mind in which, I believe, both announcers got into trouble.

My recollections are a tad sketchy, but a Bristol derby at Twerton Park in the 1990s and Bristol City make a substitution. The Rovers announcer: "Here comes Junior Bent ... I bet he is"

Past Pirate will know for sure, but I'm pretty sure he got fired on the spot & had been doing the job donkey's years. Jeepers, I thought, that's some way of handing in your notice, sure beats leaving a soily deposit on the boss' desk!

The other I can't remember the teams involved, or indeed the player, mainly due to my affliction with drink, but remember laughing about it at the time. A lower league match & the home side absolutely battered their opponents the entire game yet somehow failed to score. Then in the 89th minute, a rare breakaway & the visitors scored with their only chance of the game. The home announcer: "Goal scored by number nine, Dick Turpin."

Very Happy Clap

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
stfc831968

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

That last post reminded me about an announcer who was sacked at Swindon in the 1990's

Steve Mcmahon had been sent off (what a surprise) and the announcer made his feelings known about the ref at half time, details below

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/shock-jock-in-a-bad-call-1614478.html
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:24 pm 
Post subject:

The Clive Allen hitting the stanchion is quite a famous one and remember it being featured on one of the phoenix from the flames segment of Baddiel & Skinners Fantasy Football League programme.

Staying with Frank Skinner, he often recalls the night when WBA were playing Dinamo Bucharest in a ECWC match. The teams are lined up for the national anthems and instead of the Romanian national anthem the DJ plays 'Midnight in Moscow ' by Kenny Ball and his Jazz men...! Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: