Football Programmes Centre

Terry Long RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Terry Long RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:15 pm 
Post subject: Terry Long RIP

It's with a heavy heart I have to write these notes about Terry Long who died of dementia yesterday, aged 86.

He signed for Palace from Wycombe Wanderers in 1955 and over the next 14 years broke every appearance record for Palace going, racking up 470 in all competitions, playing mainly at wing half but also slotting in at right back when called upon. He played in Div 3 South, Div 4, Div 3 and Div 2 - there was some clamour from fans for Bert Head to pick him for a game in 1969/70, Palace's first season in the top flight, to complete the set, but Bert resisted. Instead Terry settled into the coaching staff and then joined Orient and I believe Millwall at some point working as No2 to George Petchey.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Terry in about 2000, when he treated me like an old mate and regaled me with tales of life in Div 3 S and onwards. A lovely bloke and a gentleman and I shall never forget the friendship he showed to me, a mere fan.

He also played for Palace against Real Madrid in 1962, scoring the third Palace goal (in a 3-4 loss) with a 30-yard pile-driver past Araquistain. The goal I show below was from 2 feet out, against QPR in 1967, not quite as spectacular, but it gave Palace 2 points against table-toppers Rangers - and it was the last of his 18 goals for Palace.

RIP Terry, a top player and a true gent. Never to be forgotten.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 pm 
Post subject:

Just read this and phoned my dad he's gutted loved Terry long and was at the Madrid game too young to see him in action but even my boy knows what a large part of our history he crafted god bless Terry
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: