Football Programmes Centre

Some Irish stuff, a random thread
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Some Irish stuff, a random thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:42 pm 
Post subject: Some Irish stuff, a random thread

For no other reason than to share some programmes etc here's a new thread which I'll update from time to time with some items from my collection.

I'll start of with Sligo Rovers in Europe, because I love European football and Sligo are one of the few clubs I've got around to scanning all the Euro programmes for!

Sligo have a long history, having been around the league since the 30s, with sporadic periods of success. Their first league title in 40 years in 1977 brought their European debut and a heck of a draw.... Red Star Belgrade. The home programme is relatively hard to find It looks like it was cobbled together hurriedly, in the dark! (nothing known for the away leg).

A first FAI Cup win in 1983 (in their 5th final) brought them back to Europe for a Cup Winners Cup tie with Finland's Haka and disappointing home and away defeats.
seand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:48 pm 
Post subject:

Sligo's unconventional 1993-94 'treble' of FAI Cup, First Division title and promotion and First Division Shield saw them back in the Cup Winners Cup. Sligo enjoyed a rare win over Floriana from Malta and went on to play Club Brugge. (I'm not aware of any issue in Malta, but could be wrong)

A third placed finish in 1995-96 saw Sligo into the Intertoto Cup and a five team group with 2 home games and 2 away games. Nothing done for the away games in NOrway (Lillestrom) or Lithuania (Kuanas). There were home games v Nantes (including Calude Makalele) and Heerenveen

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:32 pm 

Seand,, Dixie Dean played for Sligo just before the outbreak of the Second -World- War . Have you ever seen a programme with him in the line-up? Do they exist ? Many thanks .
seand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:03 am 
Post subject: Re: Some Irish stuff, a random thread

Flaming Pie wrote:
Seand,, Dixie Dean played for Sligo just before the outbreak of the Second -World- War . Have you ever seen a programme with him in the line-up? Do they exist ? Many thanks .

There are definitely a at least a couple of issues featuring Dean, several clubs wee producing programmes at least sporadically at the time. 39 FAI Cup semi v Dundalk and final v Shelbourne two examples anyway
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:47 am 

Seand, thanks for that information. Do you know if a programme was produced for the FAI Cup Final 1939 Sligo v Shelbourne and the replay ? It looks like Sligo signed Dixie ( Jan 1939) in an attempt to win the cup. It nearly paid off, but they lost to Shelbourne after a replay. It’s a story that has always interested me. Over 40 years ago, l wrote to the local paper in Sligo and asked did they have any info on Dixie’s career at Sligo? The lovely people there sent me the actual newspapers( now gone) . A few years later someone was holding an exhibition about Dixie , and stuff l loaned them was never returned. A strange twist to Dixie’s Cup Final appearance is the fact that his runners- up medal went missing after the final. This was from the hotel room he was staying at in Dublin in 1939.. When he returned to Eire , as a guest for a match in Dublin in 1978 ,an envelope was left for him at his hotel containing the missing medal! You might already have this,, It’s not very clear, but here’s a pic of him with the Sligo team.
seand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:25 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for that Phil. The story of Dean at Sligo is a popular one for programme editors, I've seen plenty of articles in recent years. It does seem like an audacious attempt to take advantage of the English wage cap, with focus on trying to win the cup. I think I had compiled a list of his games for Sligo at one stage, I'll have to have a look. Some details on this very old but still available SRFC history website
http://homepage.eircom.net/~sjgarvey/History/rovhist1.htm

There were defintely programmes for the 1939 cup final and replay v Shelbourne (and the semi-final v Dundalk). 30s programmes are hard to find, needless to say!
seand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:52 pm 
Post subject:

Continuing the Sligo theme, a quick run through more recent Euro programmes. Sligo have been among the top teams in Ireland the last 15 or so years and have enjoyed the glamour of trips to Albania, Ukraine etc!
Sligo produced stunning A4 programmes for their first few games back in Europe.

Vllaznia (Albania) 2009-10 Europa League, cover very much copied from the 62 European Cup final! (no programme for the away leg)

Vorskla Poltava (Ukraine) 2011-12 Europa League

And away

And a rather ominous looking cover for the 2012-13 Europa League tie with Spartak Trnava (Slovakia)

And a Champions League debut in 2013-14, against Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Molde
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:24 pm 

Seand, perhaps the money Dixie made from his stint at Sligo gave him the funds to take over at the public house, The Dublin Packet , Chester at the end of the war? You will know his story, but he was very much the George Best of his day. Both fantastic players who enjoyed a drink, though , with George it was later in his career.. I always find it interesting that he appeared to be at his peak as a goal scorer ( 60 League goals in a season 1928) when he was only 21-years old!
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:04 pm 
Post subject:

Great thread.

Thanks Seand for doing this. Looking forward to the updates.
overlap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:51 pm 
Post subject:

A very interesting thread, and I shall also certainly look forward to further updates.
seand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:55 pm 
Post subject:

Great, glad there's some interest! I'll finish up Sligo in Europe then go back in time a bit.
2014-15 Europa League, and a rare win, over FK Banga from Lithuania to set up a second round tie with Rosenborg. Sligo win 2-1 in Norway but disappointingly lost 3-1 at home. Nice, hig quality programmes, even if they were down to A5 size

Sligo played FH from Iceland in this season's Europa Conference League. I haven't scanned that programme yet. The away leg apparently had a programme which has proved extremely hard to track down.
garyspain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

Just seeing this now.

I don't have the 39 semi final to hand but it does exist. I don't have a list of the games Dixie played for Sligo Rovers. The only home programme I have with him in it is shown here and the programmes for the final and replay.

garyspain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:08 pm 
Post subject:

Dixie was named in the lineup to face my team Limerick FC on February 5th 1939 but was injured and missed the game. We had a record crowd of 4,000 and the Irish Independent mentioned a special poster advertising Dean coming to town (I wonder have any survived). The date has personal significance as well as it was the day my father was born.

[/img]
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:14 pm 
Post subject: Some Irish Stuff, a random thread

Thanks Gary, they must be very scarce. The was a film being made about Dixie, buts it’s all gone quiet on that front. It was looking at the mental health issues he suffered with. In the 1980s all the medals Dixie was awarded in his illustrious career were offered to Everton. They didn’t take up the offer and are now scattered far and wide. The only one they purchased at the auction was a baseball medal he won playing for a Liverpool team in the 1930s. This is a copy of it.
seand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:21 am 
Post subject:

Cheers Gary, don't think I've see a programme featuring Dean before.

I'll see if I can dig up the list of games. Meanwhile, some random old stuff, starting with Shelbourne's first regular season issuing programmes, 1939-40, and their first programme that season a Shield match v Dundalk, a 4 pager

The league game later in the season had a 12-page issue wihich seems to have been their standard issue that season

seand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:34 am 
Post subject:

And a couple more old Shelbourne items, first from the title winning 1943-44 season (v Dundalk, of course!)

1945-46 v Dundalk

And 1952-53

seand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:08 pm 
Post subject:

Another handful of Irish in Europe, this time some of the less regular qualifiers.
Home Farm won their only FAI Cup in 1975 and played Lens in the 1975-76 Cup Winners Cup. With an impressive 1-1 draw Home Farm remain the only Irish side unbeaten at home in European competition Very Happy

I don't know of anything for the away leg.

Then there's the strange case of Sporting Fingal, formed in late 2007 in north Dublin. They were expected to join the short-lived A Championship (a mix of reserve teams and clubs potentially interested in senior status) but were rushed into the league in 2008, when Kilkenny City folded. They won promotion via the playoffs in 2009, and the 2009 FAI Cup. The played Maritimo from Portugal losing 3-2 home and away.

No programme for the away leg. Fingal finished 4th in 2010 and qualified for the Europa League but folded before the start of the 2011 season.[/list]
seand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:33 pm 
Post subject:

I don't have a whole lot of old photos etc (not scanned and online anyway) but here's a nice photo of the St James's Gate team with a bunch of trophies won in 1919-20 season, two seasons before the formation of the League of Ireland

St James's Gate were ostensibly the works team of the Guinness brewery. They were founder members of the League of Ireland, won the double in the first season and were members until the 40s. They had another brief spell in the league in the 1990s.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Some Irish stuff, a random thread

seand wrote:
For no other reason than to share some programmes etc here's a new thread which I'll update from time to time with some items from my collection.

I'll start of with Sligo Rovers in Europe, because I love European football and Sligo are one of the few clubs I've got around to scanning all the Euro programmes for!

Sligo have a long history, having been around the league since the 30s, with sporadic periods of success. Their first league title in 40 years in 1977 brought their European debut and a heck of a draw.... Red Star Belgrade. The home programme is relatively hard to find It looks like it was cobbled together hurriedly, in the dark! (nothing known for the away leg).

A first FAI Cup win in 1983 (in their 5th final) brought them back to Europe for a Cup Winners Cup tie with Finland's Haka and disappointing home and away defeats.

THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS MISSING!, MEMBERS WHO CAN AND WILL POST ITEMS FROM THEIR COLLECTIONS-SHARING IS EVERYTHING IN THE HOBBY!.
Please continue as it provokes other members to respond with other images and makes it all the more fascinating for all of us to see other stuff besides what we collect-broadens the mind and the outlook-Thanks for sharing! Clap

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
seand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:26 pm 
Post subject:

the Twitter thing tells me that Dundalk have a handful of significant games 'on this day'.... so 40 years ago we were beating Fram 4-0 to set up a titanic battle with Spurs in the Cup Winners Cup (that one finished 2-1 on agg)

34 years ago we payed Ajax in the Cup Winners Cup, back in the day when a small club was allowed to draw a big club!

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: