Football Programmes Centre

2021/22 Matchbadges thread
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2021/22 Matchbadges thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:03 pm 
Post subject:

They aren't for me, I give them a wide berth, I prefer if they are sold on the day but for me it has to be metal but Liam each to their own.

I think it was And Bowler who has posted on facebook Wolves metal badges for this season, looked retro, very impressive, available in 3 variations.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:52 am 
Post subject:

Obvs always prefer enamel to plastic, but if I am at an away game and there is a stall selling match badges, I'm not going to turn down the chance to buy a plastic one, however bad (and I have seen some rubbish over the years!)

AKP Stoke and Wolves ones are very nice, seen those on facebook too, clever system with those.

Looks very much like Newcastle corporate are giving out last seasons badges this season

Not seen any Arsenal corporate yet, always liked those magnetic ones.

Also not seen AFC Wimbledon's badges -would be surprised if Terry doesn't do them, I get to go there for a Papa John Trophy game next month, but I don't think his stall will be there for that game (and like when we played them in the Surrey Senior Cup, I doubt he'll make a badge for it)

Good that most of what I was expecting seems to be being produced again
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 am 
Post subject:

Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:55 am 
Post subject:

Same design for the Stoke Matchbadges, again in three colorways -
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:09 pm 
Post subject:

Lovely, thank you
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:47 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but been to Liverpool away today and it's the first time I've uploaded a badge photo of my own taking for a fair while, bit out of practice

Anyway, no. 1 in the photo in previous seasons would have been in 4 colourway versions if you know where to find the seller, but because of a comnination of covid and brexit, they are only doing the 1 standard version for the forseeable

No. 2 (top right) - very common, majority of stalls around the ground sell this one

Bottom 2 - the hens teeth! Sold by one seller, my old pal Joe. Used to set up his board on top of a bin (really!) right outside the Paisley Gates, but the Council have replaced that bin with one which doesn't have a flat top to it (!), so he now roams around with his badge board, and you need a keen eye to find him!

Just so good to get back to a proper long away trip to a packed out stadium, and a decent, exciting game too
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:13 pm 
Post subject:

Doesn't look like Arsenal are doing their 'corporate' issued badges this season, which is a shame because they were really nice quality, with a magnetic fitting on each one
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:47 am 
Post subject:

New addition!

Man City away - last time I went there before covid, so 2019/20 season, the arrangement was that the only place selling match badges was a souvenir stall within the large 'home pub' close by the ground called Mary D's Beamish Bar

As per last time, the system employed was give my son my Palace scarf and hat and go in 'plain clothes' to obtain the badge

This time the doorman said 'can I see your ticket?'

I showed him it (it was an away end one) and he let me in anyway - I suspect he is just told to say that but has no idea what the away tickets even look like lol, and they don't have AWAY splashed across them

Anyway, inside the massive bar (with multiple rooms - it really is vast), found the badge stall, and obtained the badge for the game

Only a button badge, presume with the risk of changes to match attendance possible short time, plus the hassle of getting shipments of enamel badges from China, they just went basic for this season

I know most collectors won't care for this, but I got it at the game, so it's valid for my own personal collecting criteria!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:14 pm 
Post subject:

I quite like the Citeh one mate, I'm not a badge snob, indeed some of my favourite badges are those that the purists would call crap. I think the story behind how you obtained him, going deep, deep undercover is great!!!

It could only have been bettered had you worn a false moustache & trilby hat.

Very Happy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:44 am 
Post subject:

Cheers mate.

I think match badges are going to be well down for this season, and whilst I will almost certainly get the whole lot made for me by Stanislav, you can't beat the variety that you get from individual clubs.

Off the top of my head, I think only the following will occur for the Prem teams this season:

Liverpool - loads (see above)
Man City - button badge
Man Utd - hopefully more than just the one badge (ie with the stadium depicted)
Arsenal - not even the corporate badges this season
Wolves - optiistic, plus the nice round design ones
Leicester - maybe pish plastic?
Newcastle - seem to be issuing last season's dated badges in corporate!
Leeds - you'd like to think something about for what I consider a big club!
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:02 pm 
Post subject:

I'm afraid I am a badge snob, these homemade matchday badges, being sold on eBay at stupid prices and the sets of 10 badges plus, I think are irrelevant to any collection. Others have different views and each to their own.

The badge you bought at City is a little different, there is a tale to it, has it's own meaning. Considering all the difficulties badge producers are having with supplying badges, any effort to sell on the day is to be applauded and appreciated. Plus that design has been sold around the ground at a couple of clubs for a few years.

Leeds sellers were driven out by trading standards, one seller went online but he hasn't added anything new to the site for a couple of years. Judging by the volume of players kit badges being peddled on eBay currently, I would guess some of the traditional stalls have moved onto eBay and your pickings may be a little slimmer.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:24 pm 
Post subject:

I think it massively makes a difference that there isn't anyone doing match badges at Palace home games (well about once or twice a season an 'away' seller hawks some 'away' match badges, but you catch my drift.

So I am happy to get whatever I can for my team on my travels.

Totally get that if you have AKP badges produced as standard for your club, then everything else fades in comparison of course!

Oh and I forgot to say there should be something for Everton too.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

The unofficial badge sellers around the grounds being harassed & hunted down to within an inch of their lives is just another thing that makes me despise what our game has become.

Especially as the main culprits are the clubs that are happy to pay mercenary journeymen £100k p/w to gather arse splinters, whilst sacking their managers on an ever increasing whim at a cost resembling telephone numbers. Those same gluttonous clubs who would gleefully copyright actual colours if they could (& have probably tried!).

The maligned badge seller, standing out there shivering in all weathers making a few measly shillings from his endeavours is no threat whatsoever to the millions they turn over each year, yet here we are. It's greed on a disgusting level. It's tantamount to Cadbury's booting my front door down, kicking the holy bejesus out of me, and then torching my gaff for having the temerity to make a few choccy brownies out in my kitchen.

Back to the badges themselves, I don't disagree with you Gresty, and would agree wholeheartedly buddy if the clubs themselves produced match day badges each & every game. But they don't, have no intention of doing so, yet are hell bent on making sure no other blighter does either. Sod the fans who want them, in fact sod everybody, urchins & peasants the lot of them. We're the kings & masters of this here game of moneyball and what we say goes.

Smile

Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:41 pm 
Post subject:

Exactly!

A few clubs did have sold matchbadges down the years - Liverpool, Burnley, Bournemouth and Huddersfield spring to mind. And they soon realised that there is only a small amount of interest in them and it is hard work to shift them.

Whereas I do know that Sunderland, Chelsea and Burnley unofficial sellers have had more trouble than it's worth over their unofficial efforts. Burnley's being the inoffensive 'from Brum' badges, simply because of the small representation of the Premier League trophy in the metal casting.

Incredibly people do still buy CH3L5EA matchday scarves in large numbers!

And another favourite bought outside Wembley (or if it's an unofficial scarf "Footballs Home" because they can't even put 'Wembley Way' on merch(!) :-

Palace against "WATF-WD18" in the "Cup Semi-Final"
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

anyway hope springs eternal for a Leeds offering

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:23 pm 
Post subject:

That Leeds badge is lovely Dorking, fair play, a really nice design. The simplest ones are usually the most eye-pleasing. Leeds have always produced decent badges. When we played up there in the Milk Cup a few seasons back, there were two official badges available (same design, two colourways), and an unusual unofficial one which although quite tacky, I loved.

A veritable treasure trove of spoils compared to today's offerings, pal, and if the fat-pig clubs have their way, that'll soon dwindle to zero offerings.

That's why I wholeheartedly support the unofficial sellers & back them with my coin whenever I can. Indeed, in an ideal world I think everybody should boycott club shops & give these fellas that are now forced to hide in pubs or behind keyboards their folded.

The peoples game??
Yeah, I remember that. I think?

Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

The Leeds one is an interesting one, they ommitted the crests but the trophy is also under copyright too ... it's a minefield where T.A. sometimes don't even understand the classifications of registered marks/words
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

I believe Liverpool FC even tried to copyright the Liver Bird and rightly failed, it's the symbol of the city & despite their best efforts, not the property of the football club.

houghmartin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:29 pm 
Post subject:

The only offering for us so far this season has been these pre-season ones for the visit of Wolves.

Am hoping that a Wycombe one from our recent game will surface soon.
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:39 am 
Post subject:

Nice badges Martin.

I went to Burnley Palace on Saturday (3-3!!!) and there is one merch stall outside the ground, on Harry Potts Way just up from the away turnstiles. The seller has some cracking Burnley sew on patches by the way if anyone is looking to personalise their Burnley bar scarf!

Anyway he had one matchday badge, though not on his display boards 'because of trading standards' (as it has the PL trophy on it) but if you ask he'll get one from his pocket and sell you it

It's clearly 'from Brum' and I don't tend to buy those except for cup games, but as I asked the stall holder and he had them it was rude not to buy one.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: