Football Programmes Centre

When does collecting become hoarding?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
When does collecting become hoarding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 pm 
Post subject: When does collecting become hoarding?

Wee topic of discussion

I have a modest collection of approximately 2.5k programmes, mainly made up of ones involving the club i support. I will be branching out into other "categories" of collecting but even then I can't see me ever going over 3.5k programmes....yet i know this is a fraction of what some members have on here.

I justify it as "collection" because each belongs to a distinct category but at what point does it become programme hoarding?

How many peogrammes do other members have, do they belong under certain collection categories.....or does it verge on hoarding?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:36 pm 
Post subject:

Good question.

I suppose at the point where like general hoarders..... when you don't have an idea what you have and you just keep adding to it.

Or it could be when the wife leaves you because there are chimney stacks of programmes all over the house, you have trouble getting through the front door and the dog can't be found for days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:00 am 
Post subject:

Saw the dog earlier and can still get in the front door......I can keep going then, excellent!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:09 am 
Post subject:

Pacey Winger wrote:
Saw the dog earlier and can still get in the front door......I can keep going then, excellent!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:56 am 
Post subject:

I like to think I collect rather than hoard - I take care over storage, looking after what I have, using a fair bit of time and money on boxes, folders, sleeves etc, trying to present what I have in a smart and organised way.

My main shame is that I don't have one dedicated space, like a spare room to really set it all out together, like some of the nice bookshelf arrangements shown on here, so sometimes I want to find a particular programme and it's a case of 'which bed in the house is that box under?" and crawling about pulling boxes out just to get to other boxes.

But there's always space for more of what I want!
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 am 

Great question Sherlock

My Spurs programme collection, home and away, is pretty much complete back to WW2 with lots of pre war ones back to 1920, but there are obviously a lot of pricey gaps still to fill.

Sadly, they are all boxed away in cupboards until I get my backside in gear and get folders for them all.

Then there is the collection of Spurs press photos (approx 1000), Handbooks (complete bacl to WW2), Shirts (approx 100), autographed items (approx 1000), badges (approx 500) and all sorts of odd bits I have acquired along the way.

One bedroom has been converted into a library to accomodate a few thousand books, mainly football & music based.

I believe that keeps me as a collector rather than a hoarder.

The fact that I sell online as a business helps too because anything that is non Spurs related goes straight into the stock room to be sold, but that figure is excessive at approx a quarter of a million programmes, magazines and all sorts of stuff.

But, I do keep the stock tidy and it only makes it into the "living part" of the house when I am preparing it to list online and once done, it goes back into the stock room, for which I am eternally grateful I have.
Bokbag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:19 am 
Post subject:

That’s a good question. I am 34 so I think I have many years of collecting to go but would consider what I have a pretty good start. What comes to my mind is that they are all stored away in the old boiler cupboard at the moment so not for display at all. Maybe this is a good thing with 2 young kids around!! When money eventually allows they will all be out somewhere.

It has occurred to me that I will never think the collection is complete. I collect major championships and domestic/European cup finals, and I don’t see how I will ever stop, that I will find some new seam of finals and just keep going. Does that count as hoarding? Basically I love the hobby and can’t imagine ever selling. The kids are gonna have some job on if I keep at this pace for another 50 years though!!
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm 
Post subject:

Hoarding is a medical disorder - I recently came face to face with this when dealing with the home of a relative who had been admitted to hospital

The NHS website gives a good summary of where collecting stops and hoarding starts

What's the difference between hoarding and collecting?

Many people collect items such as books or stamps, and this is not considered a problem. The difference between a "hoard" and a "collection" is how these items are organised.

A collection is usually well ordered, and the items are easily accessible. A hoard is usually very disorganised, takes up a lot of room and the items are largely inaccessible.

For example, someone who collects newspaper reviews may cut out the reviews they want and organise them in a catalogue or scrapbook. Someone who hoards may keep large stacks of newspapers that clutter their entire house and mean it's not actually possible to read any of the reviews they wanted to keep.

Signs of a hoarding disorder

Someone who has a hoarding disorder may typically:

- keep or collect items that may have little or no monetary value, such as junk mail and carrier bags, or items they intend to reuse or repair
- find it hard to categorise or organise items
- have difficulties making decisions
- struggle to manage everyday tasks, such as cooking, cleaning and paying bills
- become extremely attached to items, refusing to let anyone touch or borrow them
- have poor relationships with family or friends

Hoarding can start as early as the teenage years and gets more noticeable with age. For many, hoarding becomes more problematic in older age, but the problem is usually well established by this time.

It's thought that around 1 or 2 people in every 100 have a problem with hoarding that seriously affects their life.
tackler7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

If you have a defined focus and plan then it is less likely to be hoarding.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 pm 
Post subject:

well you tell me, this is just one link from around 800 others on my website... https://flic.kr/s/aHsjevJPsS

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

Rumour has it there's a bed in my spare bedroom - but I haven't clapped eyes on it for at least 10 years......
HendonHotshots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:03 am 
Post subject:

This is a bit of a long story with a reference to football programme hoarding/collections

I had always lived and cared for my mum all my life . A few years ago she had delirium in hospital and the NHS reported it so that We had police came round to our house at 3am and wanted to section my mum for the “crime” of having dementia

Scary stuff for people who’ve never broken a law in their entire lives!!!!

At the time my mum had borderline-dementia, knew who I was and remembered some things but the Met Police realising this wanted her deprived of her liberty (DOLS). Their justification for this was “hoarding” as I had left five boxes of Hendon FC programmes downstairs which I was going thru - roughly 8 seasons of homes and aways c. 1990-98 iirc - strictly speaking it’s hoarding as they are worthless tat but to me like with most programme collectors i suppose they’re kept for the memories.

I was so shocked and told the police the programmes were mine and I had capacity to do whatever I wanted i then told them that as they knew their way into our house they would know the way out and they did.

Moral of the story

One mans collecting is another mans hoarding. The latter is actually a condition covered under the mental health act.

I know lots of Non collectors who will have the view we should accumulate no possessions over our lifetimes. Anything else is hoarding, cluttered, untidy, etc and there’s no point trying to reason with them

Maybe e-programmes and USB sticks are the answer to a programme-less, collection free house. , it might catch on…..
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:44 am 
Post subject:

Really interesting responses folks, thank you.

By complete coincidence there were two gents put photos up on the "Footballprogrammes" facebook page yesterday. I won't mention names or copy the photos as i dont have permission but wow! Sheds, lockers, cupboards, absolutely jam packed with boxes and boxes of programmes.

Yet, they answered all queries with regards whether or not they had certain teams and programmes with ease.

I guess its all very subjective
Blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:58 pm 
Post subject:

Ohhhhh I'd never thought of it as hoarding though my ex wife might differ ..... When I moved up to Aberdeenshire from West Wales 2 years ago to be with my 'new' girlfriend she insisted on a 3 bed house for us, 1 bedroom for us, 1 for visitors ( or me when I'm in the poop) and 1 for my Swansea City stuff .... shes even bought shelves for me too .
I have about 4000 Swans programmes, about 500 Wales programmes, Swans badges, keyrings, books, pictures etc, anything that I like relating to my beloved Swansea City .....its all in order ( programmes in folders in seasons) and laid out on the shelves so I guess I'm a collector by definition lol
GaryF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 pm 

As someone who accidentally rented out a room to a hoarder, I have many horror stories about how every square inch of any space in your house becomes occupied from floor to ceiling by piles of boxes and whatever it is they're collecting. No door would fully open due to the piles of crap blocking it......!

But the biggest clue something seriously not quite right was when I found a really large box of broken flip-flops....?
The guy point blank refused to throw them away. And when I asked what on earth he was keeping them for, he couldn't answer me except to say "their mine and I might need them!"

His bed was surrounded by piles of stuff from floor to ceiling, so much so that I was scared the stacks might fall over in the night and crush & bury him!

It was a nightmare living with. And I had to many times throw piles of newspapers, magazines, and boxes of broken flip-flops out! Else I would've been buried alive in my own house
What a pain!

It no fun trying to live with a hoarder! Never again!
Brem75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:14 pm 
Post subject:

My take on it is...

If you know what you have and you know what gaps you have then that's collecting.. A hoarder would just buy anything and everything...
grantham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:56 pm 
Post subject:

Can you be both ?

I collect Grantham programmes, all are catalogued and filed away in order and I know what I have and what I need. My book collection is in a similiar state as well

Meanwhile I have 125,000 programmes in 3 locations and god knows what I have amongst that lot. Yes I hoard, but I also collect
GaryF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:15 pm 
Post subject: Hoarding

.....Good definition: If you know what you've got, then you're a collector!
If you got piles of anything & everything, then you're a hoarder!

......and if you're collecting piles of broken flip-flops, then you're a nut!
Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: