Football Programmes Centre

Bryan Horsnell's collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bryan Horsnell's collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 3495
Location: Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:


Incidentally, you can still get an atmosphere at a rickety old ground in the Premier League. Selhurst Park was exploding yesterday!


Sorry Pete, but it doesn't count if you have to rely on a shirtless bloke with a microphone and flag wavers
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/sets
A Sheffield United Programme guide
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator


Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 4016
Location: Wallington Surrey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

sharrowblade wrote:
Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:


Incidentally, you can still get an atmosphere at a rickety old ground in the Premier League. Selhurst Park was exploding yesterday!


Sorry Pete, but it doesn't count if you have to rely on a shirtless bloke with a microphone and flag wavers


Where I sit, I can neither see nor hear him/them. Who does the cheer-leading at Bramall Lane?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 3495
Location: Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:29 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:


Where I sit, I can neither see nor hear him/them. Who does the cheer-leading at Bramall Lane?


Nobody Pete, we've normally nodded off after 10 minutes.

Seriously tho, I find generally that the northern clubs are far louder than the London clubs. Smile
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/sets
A Sheffield United Programme guide
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator


Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 4016
Location: Wallington Surrey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:05 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

sharrowblade wrote:
Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:


Where I sit, I can neither see nor hear him/them. Who does the cheer-leading at Bramall Lane?


Nobody Pete, we've normally nodded off after 10 minutes.

Seriously tho, I find generally that the northern clubs are far louder than the London clubs. Smile


Lol

Mind you, it does save me from having to wash my shirts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Grumpypants



Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 439

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

......community singing at FA Cup Finals, Cup draws taken straight from the 'hat' rather than now teams being 'seeded', games finishing near on to the ninety minute mark rather than 15 minutes of added time, tickets that used to be shown for admission rather than electronic device 'sucking ' your ticket away from you never to be seen again. Neutral
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Wants List
Tynie Topics



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 3390

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

littlewiggy wrote:

Everything about modern footy is rubbish.


Everything about English Premiership is rubbish.

"Modern football" is a very mis-used term, there's a lot of football outwith the EPL and Champions League that has a lot going for it. Seek and ye shall find.
_________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157684383484455
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Flaming Pie



Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:32 am 
Post subject: Bryan Horsnell’s collection
Reply with quote

Littlewiggy, , have a look at Darren Farley on YouTube. ‘Rafa Benitez Everton press conference ‘ . It’s those little smiles when he answers a question from the press Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 3495
Location: Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:17 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

littlewiggy wrote:
Well said Grumpy.

Bringing back proper floodlight pylons,:


I have to say I do miss the old floodlights, especially with regards to night matches, its a lot easier to find the ground Laughing

The last time I went to a ground with proper lights I think was probably Bristol Rovers a few seasons ago.
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/sets
A Sheffield United Programme guide
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
ndg1860



Joined: 27 Aug 2020
Posts: 65
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

sharrowblade wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
Well said Grumpy.

Bringing back proper floodlight pylons,:


I have to say I do miss the old floodlights, especially with regards to night matches, its a lot easier to find the ground Laughing

The last time I went to a ground with proper lights I think was probably Bristol Rovers a few seasons ago.


I am guessing you have not been to Loftus Rd (Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium currently) recently either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pacey Winger



Joined: 05 Jul 2020
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:19 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I understand that this collection did rather well, just short of 400k!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
se20blue



Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 728

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:34 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Pacey Winger wrote:
I understand that this collection did rather well, just short of 400k!


Link in third comment.
_________________
Ipswich Town programmes required,please message me if you are able to help
9/2/46 Norwich City A
29/3/47 Port Vale A
1/11/47 Port Vale A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1690
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:39 am 
Post subject: Re: Bryan Horsnell’s collection
Reply with quote

Flaming Pie wrote:
Littlewiggy, , have a look at Darren Farley on YouTube. ‘Rafa Benitez Everton press conference ‘ . It’s those little smiles when he answers a question from the press Laughing



Yeah, I've been a fan of Darren's for years, Pie, way back when he used to do Crouchy, Rafa, Carra etc. The faces he pulls are hilarious.
_________________
NEWPORT COUNTY & GENERAL FOOTY BADGES:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1690
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:03 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Tynie Topics wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Everything about modern footy is rubbish.


Everything about English Premiership is rubbish.

"Modern football" is a very mis-used term, there's a lot of football outwith the EPL and Champions League that has a lot going for it. Seek and ye shall find.


Yes, true enough, our years in Conference South were great fun, Tynie, all free from the over zealous restrictions & big brother eye that league football brings. Non league football is the closest thing left to bear any passing resemblance to how good it used to be. You're talking to a bona fide seeker here.

Modern footy is shite though mate.

The kits, the encyclopaedic programmes, the warm ale in plastic kiddie cups, the cryarsing players, the systematic cheating, the fleecing, the outrage & vetting of every song & chant, the ruddy camera phones, those darned selfie sticks, grown men holding up scruffy cardboard messages begging a player for his shirt, etc etc. You can't fart without offending someone these days.

Instead you have to watch your Ps & Qs, and generally return home feeling like you've been held upside down against your will until every last penny has been shaken from your pockets.

I still follow the game avidly because I'm completely addicted, that doesn't stop me despising what it's become though.

It'll be games divided into four quarters, more franchises, heading being banned, and top games being held in the far east next.
_________________
NEWPORT COUNTY & GENERAL FOOTY BADGES:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cpfc jim



Joined: 20 Dec 2019
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:26 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cpfc jim



Joined: 20 Dec 2019
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:38 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Yes modern football is shite I missed 4 home games between 1976 n 2016 in the end it became a chore with the endless officialdom of entering and attending a match catch the odd game with my son now but I really do miss going to the football how it was I still love palace to bits and they still do my head in on a regular basis but going there now inst for me and I hate that. I've got Dulwich hamlet and Bromley on my doorstep maybe the experience I crave on a match day is to be found there failing that it's Dennis Waterman's match of the 70s on YouTube (love watching the kids rush the pitch Hereford Newcastle cup game ) would that happen now ? Noooooooo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tynie Topics



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 3390

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:24 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

littlewiggy wrote:
Tynie Topics wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Everything about modern footy is rubbish.


Everything about English Premiership is rubbish.

"Modern football" is a very mis-used term, there's a lot of football outwith the EPL and Champions League that has a lot going for it. Seek and ye shall find.


Yes, true enough, our years in Conference South were great fun, Tynie, all free from the over zealous restrictions & big brother eye that league football brings. Non league football is the closest thing left to bear any passing resemblance to how good it used to be. You're talking to a bona fide seeker here.

Modern footy is shite though mate.

The kits, the encyclopaedic programmes, the warm ale in plastic kiddie cups, the cryarsing players, the systematic cheating, the fleecing, the outrage & vetting of every song & chant, the ruddy camera phones, those darned selfie sticks, grown men holding up scruffy cardboard messages begging a player for his shirt, etc etc. You can't fart without offending someone these days.

Instead you have to watch your Ps & Qs, and generally return home feeling like you've been held upside down against your will until every last penny has been shaken from your pockets.

I still follow the game avidly because I'm completely addicted, that doesn't stop me despising what it's become though.

It'll be games divided into four quarters, more franchises, heading being banned, and top games being held in the far east next.


I'm generally to be found helping run my local team with crowds of 50-150 each week, very enjoyable and you feel a proper link to the game. However, I also follow Scotland around (will be at a sold out Hampden next Saturday then into the Faroe Islands), and also the occasional Hearts game when they don't clash with my local team. Also try to get to an AFC Wimbledon game when I can.

I don't see anything that has really changed to stop me going to games at the higher level. Some of the changes are for the better, some not so much, but nothing major to be honest (expect at Sunderland the other week for the Wimbledon game when the stewards could have done with a healthy dose of common sense, complete arseholes but thankfully for me, a rare occurance).

Harking back to the old days is sometimes through rose tinted glasses I feel. In many cases stadiums were death traps, basic facilities like toilets were holes in the ground, the 70/80's were shocking for crowd violence, you were fenced in, police treated you worse than they do now. In some cases it's gone too far the other way, over officious stewarding as per above - at some venues - and terracing should never have been banned are just a couple of things. Ticket prices another.

However, the game evolves constantly. In 20-30 years time the youngsters of today will be looking back with rose tinted specs as we are now. It's just the way it is.
_________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157684383484455
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1690
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:31 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Yeah, all very fair comment mate, and yes, we certainly do have those rose-tinted specs on when harking back. For sure.

As crazy as it sounds though, and as someone who did 84 of the 92 grounds in the 1980s (and they were death traps, no doubt about that), I miss those mad, feral days like crazy.

Hiding in hedges & running into the back of shops to escape a beating, wading through lakes of piss on the crumbling terrace whilst hoisting your best Levi Cords up past your ankles, queuing for 30 minutes at the one, solitary little snack bar only to find they only ever had plain crisps or a wagon wheel, caged in on an open away terrace in the pouring rain with your denim jacket on your head & your torso drenched, because you were going out on the pull that night & all that mattered was keeping your cool hair perfect, the stench of BO & pipe smoke, legging it to the train station afterwards where a row of sinister-looking bobbies were waiting to bully, threaten & intimidate you, for no other reason than you had a match programme hanging out of your arse pocket. (nobody wore "colours" back then)

It was exciting, frightening, lawless, and downright dangerous, but that was all part of its unique charm & what attracted us in the first place.
_________________
NEWPORT COUNTY & GENERAL FOOTY BADGES:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cpfc jim



Joined: 20 Dec 2019
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:09 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Watching motd another thing I've noticed is player and fan reactions when a player scored back in the day he wouldn't make a point of seeking out/celebrating goading the opposing fans and fans didn't seem to spue hatred and vitreol at the player who scored if the goal was good enough applause ensued sure somewhere on that terrace they were probably knocking 7 bells out of each other but I'd still argue for all the modern sit down shut up don't move fàn experience it was a more civilized time as for players celebrating Infront of others it's childish and how one hasn't had a smack so far beggars belief if you earn 100.000 a week but feel the need to show someone who probably in comparison hasn't got a lot to piss in how superior you are then well as I said it's not a case of ayyyyyy those wert daaayss but then again excuse my French but fuck that they were
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grumpypants



Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 439

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:24 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Totally agree with you littlewiggy. As bad as it sounds, I miss those days and all the things that you stated which made it exciting. Now you pay the earth to 'sit' in a seat designed to accomodate a stick insect. When you do manage to adjust yourself into the seat, some idiot in front of you decides to stand up blocking your view, or even worse, some twat wants to stick their arms up in the air and record something on their electronic device.
I don't have any love for the 'top' level of football these days. I just see it that the clubs are now just a buisness that is after your money in every way they can. I used to enjoy picking out a game, in the old Division One days, going there, and you were more or less guaranteed to get in to watch the game. Now you have to apply for a ticket, obtain proof etc, etc. Also in the old days, people at the clubs you went to, after they have heard of how far you have travelled to watch the game, were more than helpful to look after you. Many time I was swamped with goodies, such as programmes , badges etc. Now, you are lucky to see anyone willing to help. Anyone who has visited Forest Green will probably know what I mean. I appreciate there are going to be changes from the past, but a lot of things that made going to a football match enjoyable has disappeared and going to a match now is just a very big chore. Probably why I now follow the lower leagues where I find I can very nearly find things from the past, that remind me of the past, but in a smaller way.


Last edited by Grumpypants on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Wants List
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1690
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:19 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Some great replies on here, fellas, I'm glad it's not only me that's turned into Victor Meldrew! Very Happy

They were depressingly-great days. You'd put up with your crummy, humdrum job all week long, kept going by the thought of Saturday edging ever closer, when, for a whole day, you could forget how crap life really was in Thatcher's Britain, and instead spend a wild, exciting, roller-coaster day high on booze & adrenaline, even living to tell the tale, and then round it all off by hopefully getting laid that night.

Days when we'd do the extraordinary & downright insane just to get to the match. A mate of mine who was on the dole hitched to Burnley in the early 80s for a night game, watched the County lose 2-0 and then couldn't get home, so he slept in a cave on the moors. During winter!

Imagine today's pampered supporter being willing to do that, and then, having survived the ordeal, actually be wildly excited to do it all over again the following Saturday?!

Very Happy Very Happy Laughing
_________________
NEWPORT COUNTY & GENERAL FOOTY BADGES:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
| More
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum