Football Programmes Centre

Print vs digital - the argument rumbles on
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Print vs digital - the argument rumbles on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> League Two. (Who is producing)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HendonHotshots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:03 am 
Post subject: Print vs digital - the argument rumbles on

Came across these conversations on Twitter by accident with regards to print versus digital and in particular this seasons Stevenage and Cambridge united issues

https://mobile.twitter.com/M60Programmes/status/1425476339608526856

https://mobile.twitter.com/M60Programmes/status/1425107994006728719

Clearly a divisive issue.

In one tweet M60 tweeted they would not be printing anymore but thankfully have reconsidered. It would be a great shame as the service they provided to the collecting hobby should be applauded - there is clearly a lot of love out there for the printed programme particularly at non league level but it appears that the digital foothold in football programmes is increasing and print & digital are finding it harder to co-exist.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:41 pm 
Post subject:

It is a shame when clubs feel they need to go down the digital only route and I am very happy that there are companies who provide printed copies of these issues.

It is potentially a vast operation with so many issues being produced every week during the season, so thank goodness M60 are persisting with their service. And I do believe it is a service, without which personally my collecting hobby would be a lot poorer without
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

Clearly a divisive issue between M60 Programmes and Hashtagdigital.

M60 don't like Hashtagdigital because they are offering a service to football clubs and encouraging them to cease printed programmes.

hashtagdigital don't like M60 because they are saying that they are producing pirate copies.

Personally, I'm right behind M60 on this, the last two seasons they provided a brilliant service. The printing was top notch, and as long as you had a bit of patience, then there was no issue at all.

If clubs think the future is digital programmes, then I think they are missing the point.

I don't know anyone who has ever read one, or bought one, (yes some clubs do charge) but I know hundreds who buy a printed programme.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
flashhat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm 
Post subject:

I've never really got my head around the biggest point on this for me, if you spend an inane amount of time producing a programme then why just put it online for people to download for free?
Surely if you go to the effort of producing a programme, then sell it, if you dont want the hassle of selling, or dont sell enough then why bother producing anything?

My football memorabilia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192140619@N08/albums

Non-league photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/143473465@N03/albums

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/
das

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:41 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Clearly a divisive issue between M60 Programmes and Hashtagdigital.

M60 don't like Hashtagdigital because they are offering a service to football clubs and encouraging them to cease printed programmes.

hashtagdigital don't like M60 because they are saying that they are producing pirate copies.

Personally, I'm right behind M60 on this, the last two seasons they provided a brilliant service. The printing was top notch, and as long as you had a bit of patience, then there was no issue at all.

If clubs think the future is digital programmes, then I think they are missing the point.

I don't know anyone who has ever read one, or bought one, (yes some clubs do charge) but I know hundreds who buy a printed programme.

I read the online Burnley and Accy Stanley ones last season but I also bought printed copies mainly from M60. It meant that I could normally read them before watching the game on TV and file the printed versions once they arrived.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

Obviously (from being on here!) my first preference is that clubs sell printed programmes.

If however clubs do not want to sell printed ones at all, then people like M60 are providing a service, and a service which largely gets programme collectors off the clubs backs (although I do appreciate a sizeable number of people who would have bought a programme, won't be persistent enough to find forums like this or sellers like M60)

Programme collecting is preserving historic documents for future generations. Programmes tell the story of now, but will often be referred to for years to come, and therefore like the millions of books in the British Library, it isn't a waste of paper because they aren't going to landfill.

If a publisher has a problem with a third party printing their programmes to sell on, then they really should come to an arrangement, for the handful of digital only issues per season that I end up going to the likes of M60 for, I would be willing to pay a bit more on top of the cover price for the creator of the content.

I really think hashtagdigital are being an unnecessary PITA by ultimately obstructing collectors in their harmless pursuit.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> League Two. (Who is producing) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: