Football Programmes Centre

Terry Cooper RIP.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Terry Cooper RIP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 pm 
Post subject: Terry Cooper RIP.

Just heard of the death of England and Leeds United player Terry Cooper aged 77. RIP Terry.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

And so passes another of the Leeds United legends of the 60's & 70's. Terry Cooper was a converted left winger and his time on the wing never left him when he was playing left back - he really started the over-lapping full back, or even wing-back, craze. He was very good at that but not the greatest defensive left full back we've ever seen.

However my first glimpse of him was when Palace were drawn with Leeds in the FA Cup quarter final, March 1965. The game was postponed from Sat 6th to Weds 10th due to a frozen pitch. I was 9 and looking forward to watching Albert Johanneson as I had never seen a black player before. Nor had many people, I'd have thought. Anyway, imagine my sadness when not only had my hero, Peter Burridge, been dropped from the Palace side in favour of clogger George Petchey, but Johanneson had been omitted in favour of some winger called Cooper. And that sadness was compounded when Palace's record-breaking cup run was brought to a shuddering halt by the Leeds machine which was Wembley bound.

Here are the middle pages from my programme, documentary evidence of the changes:-

RIP Terry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:12 am 
Post subject: PALACE v LEEDS 1965

Your post bring back my memories of the Place v Leeds cup tie in 1965.
I was 11 and my father who worked for British Rail decided to use some of his Free Rail Passes to take my brother and I to the Palace game.
I was so excited, only for the game to be postponed because of snow and ice in London on the Saturday. There was no question of attending the misweek game due to school.
On the Wednesday it was a case of waiting for the football results after the 10 o'clock evening news on the radio and the newspaper next morning:

Palace used the Saturday programme, but the Pirate sellers were busy at the game:
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: