Football Programmes Centre

Paul Mariner RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Paul Mariner RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:10 pm 
Post subject: Paul Mariner RIP

Sad news this morning. Paul Mariner, who played 35 times for England, has passed away aged 68. He suffered from brain cancer.

A Lancastrian by birth, he started his career at Plymouth - I first saw him in the green & black stripes of that club at Selhurst Park in the 3rd division in 1974. He was about 20 then and clearly on his way up. He moved to Ipswich and won a Cup winners medal in 1978, then joined Arsenal and finally Portsmouth before going abroad to finish his career. He scored 175 league goals all in, in just over 500 games. In his 35 England games, he found the net 13 times. In all, a very decent forward who always gave his best.

Seen below with Terry McDermott after the latter had scored v Norway in a World Cup qualifier in 1980.

RIP Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:00 pm 
Post subject:

And the UEFA Cup 1981

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/40567/blues-legend-mariner-dies
holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:29 pm 
Post subject: Mariner

Sad news indeed
Another brain related illness for a professional footballer, you just have to start wondering…
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:23 am 
Post subject:

I saw Mariners Debut, a 5-0 thrashing of Rochdale, and loved watching him play.

We always knew he was destined for greater things and remarkably despite being royaly ripped off by Ipswich, he remained a hero with many Argyle fans effectively having Ipswich as their second team as well.

Also saw his England debut v Luxembourg .

The best player I ever saw in Green.

In many ways I wish he hadn't come back as manager/coach as that tainted his legacy with a relegation to the lowest tier again....but as a player he remains my absolute hero.

RIP Paul, from the awkward teenager who could barely get a coherent word out when he met you at a drinks do at Plymouth City Transports social club, and from the addles d old collector who has just looked out your autographed picture from a job lot that arrived months ago.

Once a green!
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:28 am 
Post subject:

A great player and sad news indeed.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:03 pm 
Post subject:

… duplicate post
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:29 pm 
Post subject:

https://itfcshop.com/catalog/product/view/id/14877/s/3604-102490-paul-mariner-my-rock-and-roll-football-story/category/57/

Paul Mariner: My Rock and Roll Football Story:

30% of profit on sales made through Ipswich Town Football Club will be donated to The Brain Tumour Charity

‘Paul Mariner: My Rock and Roll Football Story is a unique, emotional and richly entertaining biography of a talented, colourful football hero and the intimate story of a much-loved man.’
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: