Football Programmes Centre

Your Football Ground
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Your Football Ground
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:41 am 
Post subject: Your Football Ground

Looking at that Leicester photo again, the referee is wearing a suit. Wouldn’t it be nice if modern day refs wore suits again Laughing l’ll post that photo later of a game taking place ( lm convinced it is) at Portman Rd , lpswich before the stadium was built. The date is 1910. I’ve posted it on here before, but it might be worth another look to fit in with Leslie’s topic. 1910 seems to be a key date for football postcards.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:05 am 

Don’t know what happened to The Cowshed 1950s photo at Tranmere? Copyright issue l suppose? Anyway, it’s not a very good image, but it’s taken from my original post . Leiston v HMS Ganges at what l’m confident is Portman Road 1910 before it was built up . Not certain on the copyright situation with old postcards , but , as with the Leicester Fosse 1890 postcard , l do not have a problem if anyone wants to share/ copy . I thought we were all on this forum to help/share with fellow members.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:25 pm 
Post subject:

This was Portman Road in 1933 - I knew it was undeveloped until quite late on but didn't really appreciate that it was such a basic civic sports ground until so soon before they joined the Football League just five years later. In 1933 they were still in the Southern Amateur League playing the likes of Lloyds Bank and the Civil Service

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

From Portman Road to Carrow Road.

Norwich used a great aerial photo of their ground on programme covers in the late 50s.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:19 pm 

Don’t know what happened there , but the pic of The Cowshed at Prenton Park is now back on! Sid, in your Portman Road photo the cricket pitch is visible . Looks like Portman Road was used a lot for cricket in the early days. When l purchased the original postcard l noticed it had a number2 on it. So it looks like they issued two postcards of this 1910 football match ( Leiston v HMS Ganges ) at Portman Road. I asked the seller did he have the number1 postcard,, which he didn’t. Haven’t looked at my scribbles about it for a while, but the the fact that it was two Suffolk teams playing and looking at pics of The Churchman Brothers tobacco processing plant and those chimneys pointed to an early shot of Portman Road.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:09 am 
Post subject:

A page on dear old Eastville Stadium.
http://bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com/eastville-stadium-22294252.html
One on The Memorial Stadium.
http://bristolroversmemorabili.....61217.html

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: